PDA

View Full Version : Shooting test of my AC-556 video...

linx310
12-31-2010, 09:57 AM
I went shooting yesterday and took the KAC-556F out for the first time.

I discovered my KAC-556F does not like Wolf. It is either underpowered and not cycling the bolt back fully on full auto or the steel cases are rubbing against the magazine causing them to not feed fast enough for FA. The bolt would close on a empty chamber.

In semi it worked great with Wolf.

This sucks because I have a ton of this stuff. I am told an adjustable gas block may allow me to run wolf.

I then ran some brass cased stuff through it and it ran flawlessly.

I then took the KAC-556F and installed the 22lr conversion. We probably put about 600-700 rounds of 22lr through.

I still have some teething problems to work out though.

The blackdog magazines seem to have weak springs. On several of the magazines we would load them and they would not have enough pressure to bring the ammo up to the feed lips. And the magazines were not even fully loaded.

We found one magazine that worked decent.

The 22lr conversion I have is really old and worn out. It is so worn the charging handle barely even holds onto the bolt (the bolt is really worn).

The original stock metal magazine so worn out it would not feed at all. I may be able to fix it though by adjusting hte feed lips.

Problems we had:
1. Bolt would close on round hammer down with no primer strike. I may need a new recoil spring for the conversion.

2. FTF...round would get hung up trying to go into chamber. Not sure why this would happen. Would usually happen on first round of magazine. This may be related to a weak 22 conversion spring...it would only push the round in half way.

3. Stovepipes...maybe a weak ejector spring and worn out ejector? BTW when I had the problem with a round being chambered but not going off I would try closing the bolt and pulling it back to get the round to eject but the extractor just did not seem to get enough grip to pull it out.

Here is a video....probably put about 700 rounds of 22lr down range with it. We used 4 or 5 types of ammo to test it. I maybe got 4 or so magazine dumps with no problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zU9FM3QTUY

Note: I am the one in the brown jacket...the other two guys are new to FA and I forgot to explain to them they should not hold it by the magazine.

Mr. Rodgers
12-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Extremely nice! some men are born to own great guns and have fun. The short length must make getting in and out of tight places a snap.:machinegun:

HDR
12-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Looked like some serious fun!

The short length must make getting in and out of tight places a snap.:machinegun:

Unn, getting out of tight places is never a "snap."

mriddick
12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
I've always heard you use Ruger mags in these, sounds like you could use new/better magazines and now might be the time to load up, they are in supply at reasonable prices (considering history) at alot of places.

FunkyPertwee
12-31-2010, 10:56 AM
It is times like this I wish we had a document which enumerated and defended our natural rights including property rights and the right to bear arms.

linx310
12-31-2010, 11:07 AM
I've always heard you use Ruger mags in these, sounds like you could use new/better magazines and now might be the time to load up, they are in supply at reasonable prices (considering history) at alot of places.

Yea I was using Factory Rugers...they are now making 20 and 30 round magazines again so the price is not to bad. The 22lr magazines are not rugers because ruger does not make a magazine for these in 22lr. I wish they did though, ruger 22 magazines are great.

Some one got smart at Ruger and they are starting to make all kinds of cool stuff again...

El Jefe
12-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Too bad we don't have, you know, like gun forums, for threads like this. :conf44:

linx310
12-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Yea I thought I was posting it in the general firearms forum. I knew some one would complain...

I need a move post feature...lol

El Duce
12-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Very cool Linx. I like the look of the short folder! Question. Does your retaining pin on your Max 11 like to "walk out" on you? Mine does. When shooting, I just use my left thumb to keep it in place.

O.S.O.K.
12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Sweet Donny - too cool for school for sure. You need to get some milsurp or just surp brass cased for that. It's more than wolf but less than $15 a box for sure! Check the ammo forum for ongoing deals :)

And thanks for posting!!

linx310
01-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Does your retaining pin on your Max 11 like to "walk out" on you? Mine does. When shooting, I just use my left thumb to keep it in place.

Mine seems to stay put just fine.

Maybe the pin you got is defective. Richard Lage would probably swap it out for you if you contact him.

El Duce
01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Mine seems to stay put just fine.

Maybe the pin you got is defective. Richard Lage would probably swap it out for you if you contact him.

When I bought the kit, new, but second hand. I lost the original pin. So, I bought two from Richard. I need to check out the second one. I am sure that he would make good on the deal.

Now I want to start saving up for a ac 556!

Schuetzenman
01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow, that is a fun looking shooter. The .22 LR is amazing with that cyclic rate. Must be near 1000 rpm.