PDA

View Full Version : 185gr Golden Saber COL ?

abpt1
01-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Hodgdon says 1.135 but at 1.170 its almost seated past the straight wall of the bullet ?

tight group @ 5.1-5.2gr

O.S.O.K.
01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Was this intended as a reply to another thread? Do I need to move this for you?

What caliber? 45ACP?

abpt1
01-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Was this intended as a reply to another thread? Do I need to move this for you?

What caliber? 45ACP?
yes 45acp do you think its ok to stay at 1.170 ?

O.S.O.K.
01-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Depends on what you're shooting it out of. 1911? Revolver? If it's the revolver and it fits in the cylinder, then yeah. If it's the 1911, it will depend on if it'll cycle or not... or even fit into the mags. What's the overall length for other bullets? If it shows shorter for them, then this is probably a typo - it does happen...

Gunreference1
01-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Hodgdon says 1.135 but at 1.170 its almost seated past the straight wall of the bullet ?

tight group @ 5.1-5.2gr

If you look at Hornady's data for 185 gr. .45 ACP loads they show 1.135" C.O.L. using FMJ SWC bullets. But 1.230" C.O.L. with HP bullets. They also show a starting load of 5.1 gr. of Titegroup and a maximum load of 6.6 gr. Hope this helps!

Steve

abpt1
01-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Depends on what you're shooting it out of. 1911? Revolver? If it's the revolver and it fits in the cylinder, then yeah. If it's the 1911, it will depend on if it'll cycle or not... or even fit into the mags. What's the overall length for other bullets? If it shows shorter for them, then this is probably a typo - it does happen...

Also the load data for hodgdon is 5.0gr -5.5gr for tightgroup but in speer and Hornady range much higher for the same 185gr JHP ?

O.S.O.K.
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Some bullets have harder gilding metal or are plated. These will require different charges - I really try and follow the guidelines for the exact bullet or if none are available, I try and match to the "type" of bullet and then work up carefully...

Speer uses a softer gilding metal and also plated bullets (Gold Dots) and so many times will have a slightly higher max charge shown.

But the thing for the OACL is function - and yes, the load too as you are changing the internal volume of the case... but if you're staying at 5.2 grains of Tight Group, you should be fine.

deth502
01-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Some bullets have harder gilding metal or are plated. These will require different charges - I really try and follow the guidelines for the exact bullet or if none are available, I try and match to the "type" of bullet and then work up carefully...

Speer uses a softer gilding metal and also plated bullets (Gold Dots) and so many times will have a slightly higher max charge shown.

But the thing for the OACL is function - and yes, the load too as you are changing the internal volume of the case... but if you're staying at 5.2 grains of Tight Group, you should be fine.

this is exactly what i keep trying to get ppl to understand but no one seems to get it. whenever someone want to get started loading, they are always reccomended one manual or another to get, because the poster belives it has "better information" in it. i always tell them to get the book for the bullets they will be using for this reason.

afa the load in question, imo, as long as they will load and feed, longer is better, more case volume=less pressure=less chance of over pressure. if it is a typo (which judging by some of the responces it isint) then yo might be gatting dangerous pressures from seating them too deep. all my manuals are down in the garage, or id go see what they say for the load.

abpt1
01-02-2011, 02:15 PM

But the thing for the OACL is function - and yes, the load too as you are changing the internal volume of the case... but if you're staying at 5.2 grains of Tight Group, you should be fine. I have had issues with GS jackets separation above 900fps I just hope they open up this slow .

abpt1
01-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I have had issues with GS jackets separation above 900fps .in .40 s&w

O.S.O.K.
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Hmm weird. I thought they were bonded... guess not.

abpt1
01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Tested them today @ 1.150 with 5.2 tight group and it shot nice ! :hyper: