PDA

View Full Version : Old Microwave becomes arrow heads. Pic.

arcangel
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Instead of buying utility blades and making broadheads from those I thought Id bust out the dremel tool and gut as much metal from an old microwave that I could scavange. Saving some cash and gives me something to do. I've only made one so far, but I feel like mixing it up and trying to make more complex blades. Also the copper wire inside makes good cordage for fixing the blades and fletchings to the arrow.

arcangel
01-04-2011, 07:59 PM
another one

rahatlakhoom
01-04-2011, 08:36 PM
That's an excellent use of defunct appliances.
I like. :thumbspbig:

AKTexas
01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Are you planning for some road warrior apocalypse stuff?

Lysander
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
old stainless steel spoons work nicely as well.

jojo
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
"Grandma, don't take my shank"

arcangel
01-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I figure if/when the SHTF and I survive long enough to use my ammo making free ammo might be a good idea, try figure it out while I can. Right now Im making another with a pair of toe nail clippers and pliers. Kinda like flint knapping. And it gives me something to do instead of video games lol. But I'll post pics of more as I do them. And finished arrows as I do them as well. Not really motivated to go out in the snow down the hill.

Buford T. Justice
01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I applaud your ingenuity. I have been sitting on my fat butt playing video games and should find productive stuff to do such as this. Good for you!

arcangel
01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
The one in the middle I just did. Used toe nail clippers and pliers.

BigDumbGerman
01-06-2011, 12:13 AM
That's cool shit. I'd have never thought of it. Freakin' great!

BDG

arcangel
01-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Im going to try and grind up some old stainless silver wear maybe tomorrow after I look for some arrow shafts outside, and maybe a bow stave. If I can find a suitable one. I have a bunch of stainless silver wear I somehow got when I moved here. We dont use them. Thanks Lysander for the idea. I've been thinking about a ninja star too.

BigDumbGerman
01-06-2011, 01:31 AM
I think you could get a couple of these babies out of a microwave shell... Whaddaya think? ;) LOL...

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/thumbs/SWISS_ARMY_NINGA_STAR.JPG

I should patent this shit, huh?

Havin' fun,

BDG

arcangel
01-06-2011, 01:53 AM
It would be cool to make a spring loaded locking throwing star, I'd imagine complicated.

Cobra 76 Two
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Cool use of waste before tossing it out. I use the steel inspection panels off the back of big appliances like washer / dryers for making small steel parts like extended mag releases for AKs / Saigas.
Funny you should mention flint napping, when I first clicked on this thread I thought you were talking about using some microwave glass and knapping it into arrowheads. I've done a fair but of napping myself and I started out using glass. It's as close to obsidian as you can get and actually is great practice material to help you get the hang of pressure flaking.
Good job man. If things ever get really bad, people are gonna need to learn to get back to basics and do things the old way. I figured making stone & bone tools was about as old school as I could get...lol. Then making em out of metal came next.
:ylsuper:

arcangel
01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Thats cool you use the metal to fix up your guns man. Knapping is fun when its going the way its supposed to, but when its not it is so stressful. Obsdian is really cool, I like when its so thin the light goes through. I lived in Hawaii for the first 10 years of my life and remember finding obsidian in some strange places, I used to make arrows and spears and fish with them back then. All the tourists thought I was some kind of wild jungle boy.

robert
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
and if you miss you can reuse arrows. when I get a chance go look for hickory sappling.