PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian AKM bayonet?

Richard Simmons
01-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Haven't taken a photo of it yet but I received an AK47 bayonet from my brother inlaw last night. Did a search and it's identical to the Hungarian Type I, AKM bayonet in everyway with the exception that it has no markings at all.

He told me he got it in Iraq back in 1991. They came upon an Iraqi field artillery unit that had been deserted by the Iraqi army. While searching the position he was going through a BMP and found several ammo cans. Inside one of the cans he found five bayonets complete with scabbards. He said they were all different in style and color and he gave all of them away except this one which ended up back stateside in a box in his garage.

While visiting back in November I was showing him my knife collection (more an addiction really) and he remembered this bayonet and sent it to me which was a most pleasant surprise.

I'm sure Saddam purchased arms and accessories from many sources over the years that he was in power but does it seem likely that something like a bayonet would have been purchased specifically without markings or more likely just didn't get stamped?

Everything I've searched including auction sites show the Hungarian bayonets with "made in Hungary" or words to that effect stamped on the side of the guard. Mine is blank but does have an area on the guard that looks like it was meant to receivd a stamping but no indication that anything was removed. Most example also have a number like "14" or perhaps "41" (can't recall which at the moment) marked on the blade. Mine has nothing on the blade.

I'll try and get some pics up over the weekend but was just wondering if anyone had run across a "sterile" bayonet like this?

insider
02-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Bayonets with "Made in Hungary" on them were labeled that way for resale, the unmarked ones are military issue, and the one's Saddam used were sanitized of all markings. You have a true military issue one.

Richard Simmons
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info!

Schuetzenman
02-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Photos, need photos!