PDA

View Full Version : what to do to spiff up a parked finish

Vegeta
01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I have a new Springfield GI 1911 and I was wondering what can I do to give it a stainless steel look without painting it. Is painting the only option or is chrome plating feasible? Any ideas? This is a brand new pistol so the finish is perfect with no gouges
so I thought it was a good candidate for plating.

aliceinchains
01-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Leave it be or trade it in on a stainless Taurus PT1911 you will love the accuracy.

alismith
01-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Why not leave the finish the way it is an just change out the grips? That way, if you ever decide to sell it, or trade it, it would be worth more than if it were altered.

However, if you really want to spiff it up, you could go with gold-plated and ivory grips...:thumbsup:

http://www.miniaturearsenal.com/miniature-weapons/pistols/50-colt_m1911_gold.html

Blacksmith
01-07-2011, 10:51 PM
If you want stainless. Just go with stainless. Your only other options are to nickel plate it or paint it. neither one is as good as stainless. and if you go with nickel, be prepared to pull out your wallet.

Vegeta
01-08-2011, 09:18 AM
that sucks.. Oh well I wasn't prepared to sell my AR at a loss to pay for a SS 1911 and the springfield GI's are good pistols and make a great base gun to build on in the future.
I just don't dig the parked finish on 1911's, it dosen't look as classy as SS. I bet engraving is high as hell too.. oh well. I was kind of wanting to build a flashy pimped out 1911 with the engraving and fancy grips but I don't think there is much I can do with a parked finish except relegate it to a truck gun I guess.

Blacksmith
01-08-2011, 11:17 AM
If it was mine I would hit it with a coat of KG Gun Kote. before I put any wear on the Parkerizing. It would not look “Pimped out” but you would not have to worry about the scratches and rust that Parkerizing on its own is susceptible to.

NAPOTS
01-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Whats wrong with a parked pistol? I think the more aged they get the better they look.

Why don't you shoot it for a while and see if it grows on you.

Vegeta
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
As soon as we get thawed out I will. I picked it up last week and haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet.