PDA

View Full Version : So what more do I need?

NewbieAKguy
01-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Okay. I've got the 550b and the tumbler kit. I know I need conversion kits for each caliber I want, but what else before I can actually start loading? Specifically for the reloader, not the ammo components.

Dies for each caliber, powder scale, toolheads for each caliber? Just wondering how much more money I need to spend before I can start saving. Dillon doesn't give a break down of what's needed to actually get started. Going through youtube too.

Flinter
01-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Well, I don't use a Dillon, but if you want to reload you are going to need a set of calipers and a case trimmer.

Crash
01-09-2011, 09:40 AM
I'd get a set of digital calipers, powder scale, and a bullet puller.
On my 650 I have set up each die set with its own toolhead and powder funnel so I don't have to change anything to load that caliber the next time. I used to use the same powder funnel at first to save money but eventually got each setup it's own. It takes me forever to get it dialed in so I did this to save me time. The local reloader shop can set it all up in minutes, fascinating to watch them.

filthy phil
01-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Well, I don't use a Dillon, but if you want to reload you are going to need a set of calipers and a case trimmer.

i've never trimmed pistol cases, that's just a rifle issue, no?

Flinter
01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Nah, it applies to pistols too.

It's not so much that pistol cases stretch out spec often, most straight walled cases are fairly stable, it's the fact that you are going to crimp them.

In order to get a consistant crimp all of the cases have to be the same length.

NewbieAKguy
01-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Okay, now I know what to add to my list. Looks like a bench/table of some sort, dies, caliper, powder scale, and case trimmer will be next in line.

Schuetzenman
01-09-2011, 11:50 PM
I recommend a collet die bullet puller vs. the kenetic bullet pullers that look like hammers. I especially recommend the collet die if you have smaller caliber ammo you'll be loading, like .223 / 5.56 Nato for example. The bullets are so light you have to bash it mighty hard to sling a .224, 62 gr. bullet out of a case. .30 Cal. 150+ grain bullets, no problem.

Oh and if you can save up, a digital scale IMO is better than a balance beam type as it's faster. Though unless you're a competition shooter you proabably won't care so much about that.

If you read the fine print the Dillon loaders don't do well with stick powders in small necks, once again .223 / 5.56 ammo. Ball powder is ok though.

NewbieAKguy
01-10-2011, 04:20 AM
I recommend a collet die bullet puller vs. the kenetic bullet pullers that look like hammers. I especially recommend the collet die if you have smaller caliber ammo you'll be loading, like .223 / 5.56 Nato for example. The bullets are so light you have to bash it mighty hard to sling a .224 63 gr. bullet out of a case. .30 Cal. 150+ grain bullets, no problem.

Oh and if you can same up, a digital scale IMO is better than a balance beam type as it's faster. Though unless you're a competition shooter you proabably won't care so much about that.

If you read the fine print the Dillon loaders don't do well with stick powders in small necks, once again .223 / 5.56 ammo. Ball powder is ok though.

Thanks for the heads up on the stick powder in Dillons S-man. I think I've seen a very affordable digital scale on Dillon's site which comes with a 1yr warranty. More expensive yes, but muuuuuuch quicker.

Schuetzenman
01-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the stick powder in Dillons S-man. I think I've seen a very affordable digital scale on Dillon's site which comes with a 1yr warranty. More expensive yes, but muuuuuuch quicker.

You're welcome. It is unfortunate that the Dillon poweder measures that go with the 550B don't handle stick powders well. When I was shooting comp. I preferred Varget powder and it is a stick powder. So I ended up having to size and prime my cases on the Dillon but put powder in them with an #3BR Redding powder measure off line from the 550B. Then go back in at the bullet insertion station and process the seating and taper crimp on the 550B.

abpt1
01-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I have a solid 1ftx8in piece of oak in my reloading area for the puller once you get a solid surface you dont have to bash it so hard ;)

yeah stick powder is a PITA I use a lot of varget and its a bitch but if you are loading .223 try benchmark its not so bad ...

Schuetzenman
01-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I have a solid 1ftx8in piece of oak in my reloading area for the puller once you get a solid surface you dont have to bash it so hard ;)

yeah stick powder is a PITA I use a lot of varget and its a bitch but if you are loading .223 try benchmark its not so bad ...

I had concret to whack the kenetic hammer puller on. It doesn't get more solid than that. I also needed to pull 500 bullets, (69 gr. Sierra MK's). Collet puller all the way buddy.

abpt1
01-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I had concret to whack the kenetic hammer puller on. It doesn't get more solid than that. I also needed to pull 500 bullets, (69 gr. Sierra MK's). Collet puller all the way buddy.
I dont think concrete works as good as wood but yeah for 500 you need a collet :thumbsup:

O.S.O.K.
01-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Bummer - 500 rounds. I've had to pull 20 before due to the load being too hot. I really try and test loads before making up a large quantity. Other than that, I've pulled a larger number of bullets from milsurp stuff like Turk 8mm to reduce the load a bit.

All with an RCBS kinetic puller = whack whack.

What is the issue that caused the pulling?

NewbieAKguy
01-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Which dies do you guys use? MidwayUSA has Lee 4 die pistol kits going for $35. Will it accept the powder funnel of Dillon's conversion kits? Or go with another brand?

Man, sifting through this stuff is going to give me a headache. :dizzy: :D

Schuetzenman
01-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Which dies do you guys use? MidwayUSA has Lee 4 die pistol kits going for $35. Will it accept the powder funnel of Dillon's conversion kits? Or go with another brand?

Man, sifting through this stuff is going to give me a headache. :dizzy: :D

I use Redding or RCBS die sets. No the powder funnel won't work with any of those dies but then again it doesn't have to as it is housed in a mounting die for the Dillon poweder measure. Lee reloading gear is bottom rung stuff. Their dies are about the best items they make as they actually use steel to make them vs. aluminum or zinc diecast. I have a buddy that loves the rifle die sets with the collet crimp die in them. Says the necks don't wear out like you get with a roll crimp and his opinion is that they make the bullet hold better than a taper crimp die.

Taper crimp is favored for match shooters that use self loading weapons, (read that as AR15's). I use a taper crimp die in my 550B when loading my .223. 30-06 and .308 ammo.

O.S.O.K.
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Don't Dillon presses require Dillon dies? Or is that just the Square Deal press? I have an old Dillon Square Deal setup for 45 Colt - and I'm pretty sure it only takes the special dies...

NewbieAKguy
01-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Don't Dillon presses require Dillon dies? Or is that just the Square Deal press? I have an old Dillon Square Deal setup for 45 Colt - and I'm pretty sure it only takes the special dies...

You are correct sir; the Square Deal required Dillon specific dies...other are normal thread.

Schuetzenman
01-12-2011, 11:05 PM

No it's just the Square Deal. My 550B works quite will with conventional Redding, RCBS and Lyman die sets.

NewbieAKguy
02-07-2011, 09:53 PM
The Lee 4-piece carbide dies for 9mm and .45acp showed up today along with a box of 100 Hornady 115 gr. fmj bullets. I know not many bullets, but I figured I get a small amount now to start "experimenting" with comparing them with 124, 147gr etc. on same powder, etc. and slowly work my way up.

Slowly but surely I'm getting closer to production :D. Next purchase will need to be Dillon's conversion kits and a powder scale. Oh, and calipers.

Schuetzenman
02-07-2011, 11:05 PM
The Lee 4-piece carbide dies for 9mm and .45acp showed up today along with a box of 100 Hornady 115 gr. fmj bullets. I know not many bullets, but I figured I get a small amount now to start "experimenting" with comparing them with 124, 147gr etc. on same powder, etc. and slowly work my way up.

Slowly but surely I'm getting closer to production :D. Next purchase will need to be Dillon's conversion kits and a powder scale. Oh, and calipers.

BTW, many chamberings share a common head and rim size to the case. I found out that 9 mm and .223 were close enough that I can use them interchangably with respect to the shell plate and brass butttons that keep the casee pushed into the shell plate slots. Also found .45 ACP and .30-06 or .308 also were a match. If I had it to do over I could of skipped a shell plate conversion set for 9 mm. The powder funnel that goes in the die that holds the powder measure is a different story. You'd still need one of those IMO.

NewbieAKguy
02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
BTW, many chamberings share a common head and rim size to the case. I found out that 9 mm and .223 were close enough that I can use them interchangably with respect to the shell plate and brass butttons that keep the casee pushed into the shell plate slots. Also found .45 ACP and .30-06 or .308 also were a match. If I had it to do over I could of skipped a shell plate conversion set for 9 mm. The powder funnel that goes in the die that holds the powder measure is a different story. You'd still need one of those IMO.

Really?! That's awesome. Would you just get both of the pistol kits or the rifle kits? Or does it matter? Again that's great! Saves me what...$140+ on coversion kits and s/h! I'd just need to get individual powder funnels then...still saves me money.:thumbspbig:

O.S.O.K.
02-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Don't forget that 8mm Mauser, 257 Roberts, etc. share same head size as 30-06 too - and lets see, 30-30 and 6.5x55...

Ah, here's a great list of cartridges with common "heads": http://www.lasc.us/RCBSShellHolders.htm

Hope that helps as you move forward :)

NewbieAKguy
02-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Don't forget that 8mm Mauser, 257 Roberts, etc. share same head size as 30-06 too - and lets see, 30-30 and 6.5x55...

Ah, here's a great list of cartridges with common "heads": http://www.lasc.us/RCBSShellHolders.htm

Hope that helps as you move forward :)

Cool! Thanks OSOK.