PDA

View Full Version : Mace vs pepper spray?

viero
01-10-2011, 12:32 AM
I am looking on ebay for mace or pepper spray? which is better? and what would you buy?

Zygomatic
01-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I'd go with the
http://www.fisk-knives.com/Mace.jpg

Gunreference1
01-10-2011, 12:52 AM
I'd go with the
http://www.fisk-knives.com/Mace.jpg

That would be my choice. LOL

viero
01-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Looks like its made out of platsic.....

TEN-32
01-10-2011, 06:51 AM
That would be my choice. LOL

:lool::lool::lool:

mriddick
01-10-2011, 07:13 AM
People build up a resistance to mace, I don't think you can to pepper spray.

abpt1
01-10-2011, 07:25 AM
People build up a resistance to mace, I don't think you can to pepper spray.
?
mace = CS ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas

Gunreference1
01-10-2011, 08:05 AM
?
mace = CS ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas

mace = CN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenacyl_chloride

Steve

HDR
01-11-2011, 07:02 AM
The "heat" of pepper spray:

Standard US Grade Pepper Spray

Pepper spray -- also known as OC spray (from oleoresin capsicum), OC gas, or capsicum spray -- is a lachrymatory agent (a chemical compound that irritates the eyes to cause tears, pain, and even temporary blindness) that is used in riot control, crowd control and personal self-defense, including defense against dogs and bears. It is a non-lethal agent that can be deadly in rare cases.

Obviously not for human consumption, I've placed it on here to show how other hot sauces and extracts rate in comparison to it.

Scoville Units: 2,000,000 to 5,000,000

1000 times hotter than a jalapeņo

However, the hottest sauce:

Blair's 16 Million Reserve
"Blair's 16 Million Reserve is the latest in the line of reserves from Blair. This reserve bottle contains 1ml of pure capsaicin crystals. 16 Million Reserve is not to be consumed or even opened without using extreme caution. Only 999 of Blair's 16 Million will be produced, so get yours quick!"

You cannot get any hotter. This (and the Blair's 6 AM below) reach the maximum Scoville Rating of 16 million. This is pure capsaicin.

"Blair's 16 Million Reserve is the latest in the line of reserves from Blair. This reserve bottle contains 1ml of pure capsaicin crystals. 16 Million Reserve is not to be consumed or even opened without using extreme caution. Only 999 of Blair's 16 Million will be produced, so get yours quick!"

You cannot get any hotter. This (and the Blair's 6 AM below) reach the maximum Scoville Rating of 16 million. This is pure capsaicin.

Scoville Units: 16,000,000

3200 times hotter than a jalapeņo

http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php

LOL

alismith
01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Does anyone make a spray from real skunk scent?

I would think that would be even worse if you got that in your eyes and face. Would it turn a bear, or other large predator?

In self-defense use, the perp would be easy enough to track down if he were hit with this. The smell would last for days, even if washed with tomato soup.

mriddick
01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
My fear would be alot of times the person sprayed lunges for for sprayer which would mean both would end up smelling like a skunk for days.

HDR
01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
How about an ammonia spray? :D

mriddick
01-11-2011, 09:59 PM
How about an ammonia spray? :D

That's been used in a few movies and was suggested in the book series "The Poor Mans James Bond". I'd say the biggest problem with strong ammonia is it's pretty caustic which again if the attacker started wrestling with you could hurt you as much as them.

weevil
01-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Fox Labs 5.3

It's the industry standard for pepper spray and you'll hear the other companies make claims to how they're just as good. Personally I want the best and not something that claims it's just as good but cheaper.

Wicked stuff

Mr. Rodgers
01-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Fox Labs 5.3

It's the industry standard for pepper spray and you'll hear the other companies make claims to how they're just as good. Personally I want the best and not something that claims it's just as good but cheaper.

Wicked stuff

+1 excellent result on two separate occasions

viero
01-12-2011, 01:13 AM
I have a can of ASS SPRAY....... fart spray..............

IMADABCI
01-12-2011, 06:51 AM
MAce is an irritant; pepper spray is an inflammatory agent. Basically, an irritant only causes pain, but an inflammatory agent actually causes a physiologic reaction that does not depend on pain to affect you, it actually causes the eyes to close, breathing to be impaired and uncontrolled coughing, so even if your opponent is drugged up, it will still work

shadow65
01-12-2011, 07:36 PM
That is true to an extent. Pepper spray doesn't always stop someone, especially someone cranked up.
To me, the pepper spray/chemical spray combo is the worst.
We had to be sprayed during training with it.
I couldn't see, breath, and burned like fire for about 45 minutes. Water didn't help.

It actually burned the skin on my eyelids.

Pepper spray does come in different strengths. But I agree, get what the PD uses if you can.
We used MK3. There is also MKx2 which is twice the strength.

Freeze Plus P is a good combo spray.
I advise against the foam. I've heard of it being thrown back at the officer. FWIW

awp101
01-12-2011, 07:55 PM
People build up a resistance to mace

Nah, Steven Mace is a Hell of a nice guy! Just not sure you can get him to agree to have pepper spray tested on him to see who wins the battle of Mace vs Pepper Spray...:bigsmilebounce:

Gunreference1
01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Nah, Steven Mace is a Hell of a nice guy! Just not sure you can get him to agree to have pepper spray tested on him to see who wins the battle of Mace vs Pepper Spray...:bigsmilebounce:

Have you talked to my wife? LOL!!!

Dan Morris
01-14-2011, 09:24 PM
I'd vote for the pepper...with a 10%+ OC rating.
Dan

ready
01-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Mk is the size of the can, not the potency. Likewise, the percentage only has to do with the amount of active ingredient vs. the amount of propellent. The potency is measured in SHU's. The more, the better.

Also, streams are probably the best. Foggers tend to contaminate everyone in the vicinity and foams can be wiped off and thrown back at you.