PDA

View Full Version : Wow, makes me think twice about owning a Draco,

sar32
01-10-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfIOi6Z16zQ&feature=fvw

FunkyPertwee
01-10-2011, 03:21 AM
It looks like an out of battery to me.

My Draco seems to be about the same thing as my SAR-1. I don't think they're just "made with weak metal" and sometimes they blow up.

abpt1
01-10-2011, 07:34 AM
out of battery discharge more than likely a dirty firing pin or some one had a bad idea and it went south ......

Schuetzenman
01-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Says out of battery discharge to me as well. I'd find the reason, then take a large mallet and beat the frame back. Probably work fine again. Notice the rivets held in the trunion.

FunkyPertwee
01-10-2011, 06:18 PM
out of battery discharge more than likely a dirty firing pin or some one had a bad idea and it went south ......

Mine came with all kinds of crud in the fire control group and coming out from between the receiver and rails. It was rust colored cosmoline type stuff. Your dirty firing pin channel sounds like a good culprit.

4444magnum
03-30-2011, 08:02 PM
My draco had a new bolt in it when i got it. The bolt carrier was rusty and CAI said send it back and gave me a RMA but i cleaned it up myself and took it too the range today and got all headshots at 25 yds which is no big deal. might have been a very hot round or out of battery bolt. someone out there knows for sure what did that. any weapon can blow up. bad ammo, cheap metal. soft metal etc.......I've got 5 ak's and no problems with them. i've got 18 91/30's also.. good luck so far. knock wood.

O.S.O.K.
03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a WASR coming - going to clean that bolt good...

ETA: watched the vid. I was going to say out of battery discharge as well, but the lugs being swaged on the back and the trunion.... I don't get how that could have happened if the lugs were engaged in the trunion recess - unless it was just open a smidge...

That's what must have happened - the round was popped before the bolt was 100% seated which left just enough space for the case to explode through and slam the bolt back and blow out left and right... wow.

macadore
04-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Could a squib on the previous round have caused that?

FunkyPertwee
04-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Could a squib on the previous round have caused that?

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't let it discourage me from a Draco. They're just like any Romanian AKM clone.

imanaknut
04-14-2011, 06:39 PM
He shows the bolt, with a wear pattern that looks like it was a head space issue, where the bolt wasn't fully engaging into the trunion. After enough rounds, the final one went off with the bolt not locked into the trunion on the left side, but up against the barrel, and seeing the broken trunion lug on the right side, I would guess that the right lug was partly engaged.

When the final round went off, with no resistance on the left side, the bolt pushed back and right, breaking the right trunion lug and bowing out the receiver on that side.

AKTexas
04-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm still going to get one to SBR.

Lysander
04-14-2011, 08:42 PM
My draco had a new bolt in it when i got it. The bolt carrier was rusty and CAI said send it back and gave me a RMA but i cleaned it up myself and took it too the range today and got all headshots at 25 yds which is no big deal. might have been a very hot round or out of battery bolt. someone out there knows for sure what did that. any weapon can blow up. bad ammo, cheap metal. soft metal etc.......I've got 5 ak's and no problems with them. i've got 18 91/30's also.. good luck so far. knock wood.

All headshots? No shit? With I-ron sights?

macadore
04-15-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't let it discourage me from a Draco. They're just like any Romanian AKM clone.

I agree. I own one and have no intention of getting rid of it. A squib would be an ammunition problem that could occur in any firearm. It just seemed like a likely explination to me.