PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Saltwater fishing guys out there...

Zoff12
07-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Every year I go to the coast and do a little Gulf Stream fishing mainly for Kings but will take whatever bites... mahi, baracuda, etc. Usually do this over a weekend at the end of August or beginning of September. I want to do a little surf and pier fishing when I go on the family vacation earlier in the year. Where is the best place to buy inexpensive rods and reels that are suitable for this type of saltwater fishing? Stores? Online? I used my catfish gear one year and the salt really screwed up the internals even though I washed and greased it afterwards. Any help?

alismith
07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Places like Sports Authority (if they're still in business), WalMart, or any similar type store should have what you're looking for. Of course, it's going to be more expensive if you go to a store that specializes in salt-water fishing, but they would have the best equipment and knowledge. When I was in FL a few years ago, I went in to WalMart and checked out their sporting goods section and they had some really nice, name-brand fishing equipment, both fresh and salt-water.

printerman
07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
If you were fishing down here all the time I'd say get good quality gear , because you get what you pay for ! However great gear can cost big time . Wally-World has a decent choice in el-cheapo to moderate selections . Always wash your salt gear , don't just rinse ... Tight Lines !!

Zoff12
07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks. I was wondering about wally world stuff. I don't want high $$$$ gear as I only get out to the coast 2 or 3 times a year. We use the gear on the charter when we Gulf Stream. I am looking at stuff for surf and pier. Thanks for the info.

El Laton Caliente
07-26-2010, 05:12 PM
http://www.academy.com/

Locations on most of the Gulf Coast.

Stick to Penn Reels and Ugly Stick Rods and they will be around for your kids to use...