PDA

View Full Version : Building first AR once I sell some stuff

pastfinder
01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Nice to see Gunsnet back in action. Downside is I need to get 50 posts in before I can sell a Yugo SKS and some other stuff on the forums again, haha.

Anyhow, I've decided to build myself an AR-15 and wanted to get some input from the experts. The budget is around $650. I picked up an Aero Precision stripped lower shipped for around $80 (AIM). I have roll pin punches, a standard punch set, and a stock wrench (went with the TAPCO one).

I'm thinking of buying the Del-Ton lightweight kit with a chrome lined barrel. For the flat top I got a UTG A2 sight (just the sight, not the carry handle) and have been very impressed with the quality.

Anyhow, just wanted to see what yall might recommend aside from the chrome lining on the barrel. My goal is to keep this a lightweight rig to tromp around in the woods with, but have no problem spending a little bit more to make a better rifle.

Schuetzenman
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Well Del-Ton is a good company to deal with IMO. Sounds like you have thought things out well.

pastfinder
01-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks Schuetzenman. You helped me out on the old Gunsnet with some Ak issues if memory serves. Hopefully I can provide some wisdom (and hopefully not clusterfarks) from my experience.

shadow65
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I tested and use the A2 UTG rear sight on two builds. It has been a very good sight. No issues on either rifle. I actually like it better than my DPMS rear A2.
DelTon has always done well for me. They did have issues with a batch of bolts that were not hardened last year.
I still have 3 BCG's from them that have been 100%.
Keep the build simple, that in itself will keep the weight at a minimum.
I have an 11.5" that I recently returned to stock. It's lighter and easier to manuever now.
Dave

Bluedog
01-26-2011, 01:02 PM
That's a nice setup. Del ton makes good stuff. I don't know what they charge for chrome but go for it if you want it. It might make the rifle a bit easier to clean, and any reduction in accuracy is probably smaller than the skill level of most shooters would allow to be noticed.

I have a delton complete M4 upper that is real nice. It is not chrome lined. I personally do not care about such things. I traded an upper for it, and it came that way. As I recall, it jammed four times on the first mag the first time I fired it, but has never jammed since. I chalked it up to being new. The mag turned out to be fine.

The light barrel is nice too. You will really notice the few ounces of weight saved over an M4, because of the lever effect of the rifle. I have a 16" M4 with an Eotech and sometimes a 3X magnifier. It also has a DD rail and a TLR1. I also have a Colt 653 with a 14.7" Pencil barrel, and A1 Iron sights. It handles like a dream, and is very accurate.

Schuetzenman
01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
That's a nice setup. Del ton makes good stuff. I don't know what they charge for chrome but go for it if you want it. It might make the rifle a bit easier to clean, and any reduction in accuracy is probably smaller than the skill level of most shooters would allow to be noticed.

Chrome lining costs $45 on a Del-Ton barrel.