PDA

View Full Version : How to get a stuck FAL dust cover off?

Penguin
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't suppose any one knows a good trick to get a dust cover off of an FAL if it is stuck? I am having no luck.

ksuguy
01-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Are you able to open the upper and lower and remove the bolt and carrier? If so, I'd wedge a block of wood into the ejection port and tap it with hammer.

Penguin
01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Are you able to open the upper and lower and remove the bolt and carrier? If so, I'd wedge a block of wood into the ejection port and tap it with hammer.

I was able to open the reciver and pull out the bolt carrier and bolt. I finially got it out after lots of persistance and an equal amount of cussing. After I got it out just a little I looped some 550 cord around it and yanked hard, it finially came out. I have no idea why it is so hard to get in and out.

Good idea on tapping it out with a block of wood I may try that next time.

I don't get it though. I throw in my dust cover from my other FAL no problem. I can get this dust cover to go on my other FAL with a bit of pushing and back off with a firm pull. But it just fits so tight on this one rifle. I am thinking of buying another dust cover and hoping that fits better.

For a while I just thought I was an idiot and there was something incredbly obvious I was missing.

ksuguy
01-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Try squeezing the bottom together just a bit. Might be spread out too much and getting stuck in the rails. If that doesn't work, some light polishing might work.

Penguin
01-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I figured out what the problem is. Aparently Austrlia used two kinds of dust covers. The newer ones are a heavier gauge of metal. That is the deal.

Country
01-13-2011, 04:41 PM
It happens, a heavy finish can cause this problem as well. I put grease (tetra, whatever) on the cover rails, solves the problem. YMMV.

az_paul
01-25-2011, 01:43 AM
Great idea about the Tetra Grease. Thanks for the tip, Country!!

Schuetzenman
01-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Draw File the lips.