PDA

View Full Version : Would like comments on AK 47 AMD 65 Hungarian Rifle (folder)

beprepared
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Looking to buy 1st AK. Really like the folders due to their tactical and conceal-ability options. Considering the Wasr 10 under-folder. Barrels that are chromium lined are a must.

Thanks.

imanaknut
01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The AMD-65 became one of my favorite shooters after playing with it for a while. While some people don't like the stock because they can't weld their cheek to it, which sounds painful, I learned to shoot without touching my face to the rifle, and thoroughly enjoy shooting the AMD-65.

Why? Light weight, which allow me to stick a 100 round drum under it, the AMD brake does a great job of reducing recoil to almost nothing, and with the folding stock it is easy to transport.

There are newer ones built on Hungarian FEG receivers, but older aren't bad either. When you do look for one, a true AMD style will have virtually no barrel showing between the gas and sight blocks requiring an extention or extended brake to get the barrel length to the 16 inch ATF version of the second amendment. I have seen both chrome lined and non-chromed, but to be honest if you clean your weapons after each use you shouldn't have any problems. Personally again I enjoy cleaning the weapons as part of the joy of ownership.

The WASR underfolder is one of those designed for the US market. Not a bad rifle, but one that you pretty much have to hand inspect before buying to make sure it is straight, and that the mag fits properly in the mag well. As far as I know, all WASR barrels are chrome lined.

Regardless, you can have a good time with either rifle. I just have a thing for light weight, easy to carry stuff. The AMD-65 could only be lighter if we had a constitution that was followed to the letter.

beprepared
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the input. Can you explain what you mean that on an AMD65 you can't weld your check to the stock?
What do you think about these:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct446.aspx

imanaknut
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Some people hold the rifle stock to their face, and press their cheek firmly to the stock. It is a way to keep your head straight and aligned with the sights. It is known as a "cheek weld".

I like to joke that welding your cheek to the stock sounds painful. In truth I learned to shoot long guns without pressing my face against the stock, or forming a cheek weld as it is called.

I also like to joke how I stopped worrying about a cheek weld when I tried it with my Beretta 92!

That AMD-65 from Atlantic is the higher end of the price range, but it has an FEG receiver which is the more desirable one. Atlantic is a fine company, run by a really decent person. He has been known to give discounts to Gunsnet members.

I like the AMD-65 so much I own 2 by different builders, and almost hate myself for selling another that I had. Really fun rifles as far as I am concerned.

beprepared
01-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks again "nut". I'm familiar with the cheek-weld on an M16 as that is how I have shot that rifle. So, can you or can't you do a check-weld on the stock of an AK47? Is the problem doing so limited to the AMD65? How about you comments on this one:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct933.aspx
Thanks in advance for your help

imanaknut
01-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, have had issues on another site, as well as a little global warming that I had to shovel off my driveway. ;)

The "cheek weld" on a standard AK variant is no problem. It is only when you get into the underfolders, or the case of the AMD-65 sidefolders, that you have problems if you are used to pressing your cheek against the stock of the rifle.

The AMD-65 is intentionally minimal AK because it was designed as a "paratroop" rifle, light weight and short. That is why the stock is a single rod with a small chest pad, there is no upper handguard, and the lower handguard and front grip still lighter than what it would be if a wood lower. Shorter barrel topped by a very good muzzle brake, and you have a light weight go anywhere rifle.

The problem, which for me is not a problem, is the single strut folding stock doesn't make for the most comfortable, or even possible cheek rest. Since I learned to shoot without the "cheek weld" I don't have any problems with the AMD-65, and as I stated earlier, because it is so light and the brake so effective it is one of my favorite shooters.

Some people wrap para-cord around the stock to make it easier to aim with your cheek against the softer para-cord.

The underfolder that you link to is a nice rifle, and Atlantic a great company to deal with. I personally have a nice collection of underfolders, as well as side folders, as well as fixed stock AK variants. The one you link to is one of the more reasonably priced and as they state, a good alternative to the WASR-10.

beprepared
02-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey "nut". I finally broke down and bought a Wasr-10 from Atlantic Firearms. I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. My next question is in regards to Ammo. There are so many opinions out there on this, it can make your head spin. Of course, cost is always part of the equation, as my previous boss use to say, "Money doesn't just talk, it SCREAMS"! What is your opinion regarding AK ammo? The common and cheapest ones are by these manufacturers: Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Wolf & SK. Also, any comments that you have regarding FMJ vs Hollow point would be welcomed.

imanaknut
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
With any 7.62x39 AK variant, the cheapest ammo you can find usually will give you a good time at the range. Personally I don't like Wolf for two reasons. First is lately they don't seem to have the consistent loading they had many years ago. The second reason is personal and I promised not to print it. ;)

FunkyPertwee
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Hey "nut". I finally broke down and bought a Wasr-10 from Atlantic Firearms. I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. My next question is in regards to Ammo. There are so many opinions out there on this, it can make your head spin. Of course, cost is always part of the equation, as my previous boss use to say, "Money doesn't just talk, it SCREAMS"! What is your opinion regarding AK ammo? The common and cheapest ones are by these manufacturers: Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Wolf & SK. Also, any comments that you have regarding FMJ vs Hollow point would be welcomed.

Brown Bear (or any bear) is better than wolf. The yugo is even better, but corrosive. American brass cased is the best, for that price you might as well be shooting .308

The Russian crap is the standard but I think Wolf is the worst. Unfortunately its also what I have the most of.

68rs327
06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I have been looking at the Hungarian AMD 65's at centerfiresystems.com. On sale for $399 you cant beat the price. Built on FEG receivers, which are suppose to be some of the best.
I love the look of the gun and would imagine they will just go up in value. I am buying a chinese ak next week or I would be buying this rifle.

RJ Shooter
06-06-2011, 03:52 PM
I have been looking at the Hungarian AMD 65's at centerfiresystems.com. On sale for $399 you cant beat the price. Built on FEG receivers, which are suppose to be some of the best.
I love the look of the gun and would imagine they will just go up in value. I am buying a chinese ak next week or I would be buying this rifle.http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-AMD-2.aspx

Schuetzenman
06-06-2011, 10:50 PM
I love the look of the gun and would imagine they will just go up in value. I am buying a chinese ak next week or I would be buying this rifle.

Well the AMD65 has one of the least cheek freindly stocks of any folder. In fact to get your eye behind the sights you'll have to get a jawbone weld on it vs. cheekweld. You put your cheek on that wire stock and you're looking right into the back of the top cover. That said it is a neat AK variant. It was made for getting in and out of armored vehicles. The Chinese weapon will probably be a lot more comfortable to shoot but it won't be a compact. What should you get, pfffttt, what every you like better is my 2 cents.