PDA

View Full Version : The most frustrating

6gunsal
01-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Is there anything more frustrating than trying to properly install a shepherd's hook, when every guide you find online uses the "Century", or "Bulgarian" style hook, but you have the "Chinese" style "L" wire? :pissed::crybaby:

edit: I just noticed the illustration I finally found was created by our very own Krupski :thumbsup:
http://www.bumpfire.net/forums/showthread.php?t=939

O.S.O.K.
01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Hah! Try replacing the damned bolt hold open spring on a Saiga if you want frustrating :wink:

Even with the "floss trick", it's still challenging.

Integratedj
01-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Hah! Try replacing the damned bolt hold open spring on a Saiga if you want frustrating :wink:

Even with the "floss trick", it's still challenging.

That drove me nuts, but I finally got it in there. Then I took it out shooting and could not keep my finger from hitting it at the wrong times while firing. Took it back out that night. What a waste of an afternoon that was putting it in there. I didn't know any floss trick either, just the "Shove every finger and tool you can into a tiny space" method.

O.S.O.K.
01-16-2011, 02:01 PM
The "floss trick" is looping a piece of floss up through the bottom - over the spring and pulling it down to hold it in place while you slide the axis pin through.

And what you need to do is mark the BHO while it's in place and then trim it down so that it doesn't protrude as far - this gets it out of the way but still allows you to use it.

Very handy on ranges where they require the bolt be open during cease fires - you don't have to mess with an empty cartridge case or chamber flag...

deth502
01-16-2011, 04:10 PM
shepheards hook never gave me a problem.

the spring and detent for the front takedown pin on an ar get my vote. although i have devised a trick for that. not one to put it in easier, but to keep from losing the parts that go flying 50x before you get it to go. do it in front of one of those folding chairs that go in the skinny bag. aim the detent at the back of the chair, when it flys off the canvas stops it dead without bouncing, then it rolls down into the seat.

O.S.O.K.
01-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Ah, I got an even better IMHO trick for that - do it inside of a large clear plastic bag - there's no chance of that little bastard getting away then.

robert
02-10-2011, 12:17 AM
on the retaining pins c clips all the way 10 seconds each