PDA

View Full Version : New guy to AK

georgep
01-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Just Purchased a GP WASR 10/63 at the gun show and working on getting to know it and understnad it Seial is 1971CS 3762.
Any info on waht I Have??? In excellent shape as far as the mechanics but the furniture was started to be refinised just not completed.
Any and all info would be nice

Thank You
George P.

imanaknut
01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Also, welcome to the world of the AK!

The GP WASR was a mix of unused military parts put on a made for USA receiver by the Romanians. All WASRs start life with a narrow mag well to only allow single stack mags. This allows them to be imported into the land of shall not be infringed as semi-automatic sporting weapons. Once imported, the importer or a distributer opens the mag well to accept standard evil AK mags, but by also removing some parts and installing USA made parts, it is returned to its angelic, sporting purpose.

The 1971 date just indicates the date that the parts were made and not the actual build date of the WASR, which most likely was within the last couple of years. Getting to hand select one is a blessing as you can make sure the gas and front sight blocks are straight, as well as check mag fit.

As for the wood, I personally like refinishing the wood on some rifles, so a WASR arriving with the wood unfinished is a plus as far as I am conserned.

They are nice shooters, not target rifles. The original AK was designed to hit a man sized target at 150 yards and not a tack at 100. :D They were also among the most reliable rifle ever designed, but just like anything made by humans, every now and then you will run into one that just isn't right.

Regardless, welcome again to the highly addictive world of the AK!

slamfire51
01-16-2011, 09:23 AM
:welcome: georgep!!

Yes, AKs are addictive.
So a second job may be needed to keep up with your "wants".
Ask any AK lover here.

HDR
01-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Also, welcome to the world of the AK!

The GP WASR was a mix of unused military parts put on a made for USA receiver by the Romanians. All WASRs start life with a narrow mag well to only allow single stack mags. This allows them to be imported into the land of shall not be infringed as semi-automatic sporting weapons. Once imported, the importer or a distributer opens the mag well to accept standard evil AK mags, but by also removing some parts and installing USA made parts, it is returned to its angelic, sporting purpose.

The 1971 date just indicates the date that the parts were made and not the actual build date of the WASR, which most likely was within the last couple of years. Getting to hand select one is a blessing as you can make sure the gas and front sight blocks are straight, as well as check mag fit.

As for the wood, I personally like refinishing the wood on some rifles, so a WASR arriving with the wood unfinished is a plus as far as I am conserned.

They are nice shooters, not target rifles. The original AK was designed to hit a man sized target at 150 yards and not a tack at 100. :D They were also among the most reliable rifle ever designed, but just like anything made by humans, every now and then you will run into one that just isn't right.

Regardless, welcome again to the highly addictive world of the AK!

Well said!

Schuetzenman
01-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Well said!

Dittos to the observation!

georgep
01-16-2011, 06:44 PM
God these things are CLINGY, another one followed me home form the gun show today, that is two in two days.
This one is WASP 10 63 with SAU-2593-83 RO for a serial this one has a POSP scope made in Belarus. The gas chamber is a little sooty but the barrel is nice a bright with no nasty things in it. Furniture can use a redo but really is more than you could want. ALL part numbers match, Field stripping was a piece of cake no banging or anything everything came apart just like you all said in the guide, yes I do read them.
Got a bunch of Wolf to fire both with the Chronograph and paper them to see how the perform. Might keep both and just put Tapco stuff on one and leave the other alone or just refinish them both to what they should be.

slamfire51
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
God these things are CLINGY, another one followed me home form the gun show today, that is two in two days.
This one is WASP 10 63 with SAU-2593-83 RO for a serial this one has a POSP scope made in Belarus. The gas chamber is a little sooty but the barrel is nice a bright with no nasty things in it. Furniture can use a redo but really is more than you could want. ALL part numbers match, Field stripping was a piece of cake no banging or anything everything came apart just like you all said in the guide, yes I do read them.
Got a bunch of Wolf to fire both with the Chronograph and paper them to see how the perform. Might keep both and just put Tapco stuff on one and leave the other alone or just refinish them both to what they should be.

:ttiwwop:

georgep
01-16-2011, 06:55 PM
:ttiwwop:
AGREE 100% Camera is DOA needs to be charged, will post ASAP, plugged it in today.

slamfire51
01-16-2011, 07:00 PM
AGREE 100% Camera is DOA needs to be charged, will post ASAP, plugged it in today.

Is it charged yet?????? LOL

imanaknut
01-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Told you they are addictive!!!!

Congrats, and enjoy!

georgep
01-16-2011, 09:21 PM
The dark Furniture is the 2nd AK and is apart in this picture, it is really all there. There are pictures of teh Scope and my other semi-auto I like. We call him Tommy. The Space Problem picture is the Safe is FULL so they are on the reload bench fro now.
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=486&d=1295230836

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=487&d=1295230836

imanaknut
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Give me a few minutes to make your photos visible. Just posting the AKs. :D

georgep
01-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Thank you. Did you look at the piston picture? Is that good or should I replace it?

slamfire51
01-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Thank you. Did you look at the piston picture? Is that good or should I replace it?

I looked at it. Looks good to go. Clean it with powder solvent and use it.

georgep
01-17-2011, 09:02 AM
I looked at it. Looks good to go. Clean it with powder solvent and use it.

Thank You
HOPING to get to our range this week if the rains stop and it is not COLDER. Even the wife likes these. She has an AR15, SKS and some pistols so she likes to shoot which makes it easy.

slamfire51
01-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Thank You
HOPING to get to our range this week if the rains stop and it is not COLDER. Even the wife likes these. She has an AR15, SKS and some pistols so she likes to shoot which makes it easy.

It always helps owning AKs when the wife likes what you buy.
Many wives are against it :club: and some guys have to sneak their purchases. :shss:

imanaknut
01-17-2011, 05:31 PM
About the piston, like slam said, just clean it if you want. I spray mine with a carbon remover, wipe it down and then use a dremel with a wire brush to remove the hardened carbon.

You might notice that the piston is loose on the carrier. This is normal and actually desirable. The way the piston is installed properly is to screw it into the carrier until it bottoms out finger tight, then back it out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then pin in place. Unfortunately some Century imports had them welded in place, and if they are not welded in straight, can cause problems. Only way to find out if they are welded ok is to shoot it. A badly welded piston, on crooked could cause cycling problems.

georgep
01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
About the piston, like slam said, just clean it if you want. I spray mine with a carbon remover, wipe it down and then use a dremel with a wire brush to remove the hardened carbon.

You might notice that the piston is loose on the carrier. This is normal and actually desirable. The way the piston is installed properly is to screw it into the carrier until it bottoms out finger tight, then back it out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then pin in place. Unfortunately some Century imports had them welded in place, and if they are not welded in straight, can cause problems. Only way to find out if they are welded ok is to shoot it. A badly welded piston, on crooked could cause cycling problems.

Thanks, looking for batteries for the scope looks like a Radio Shack Item. Scope is a fixed 4x24 has the 1000m Dragunov style Reticle.
The 2nd one (bought Sunday) cleaned up great and cycles fine with no live ammo. Will wait till the range as much as I want to just pop of a couple in the indoor range but that is realy only good for the .22

imanaknut
01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Funny story about the POSP, I have one mounted on an SAR-1, and have fired over 13,000 rounds through that rifle. I noticed that the reticle was not lighting up, so I replaced the battery, which is a standard AA. The light still would not come on, so I checked the bulb. Where the bulb was now was just a hole in the bottom of the scope. Somewhere during the last firing session, the bulb fell out! Something to check before hitting the range!
:laugh:

MarshalSHolland
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
In the past I have owned a few AK's, but let them all slip away from me, among which were a Norinco underfolder, a Maadi, a SAR-1 and a SAR-2...Last weekend I picked up a WARS 10/63 in a trade. I had heard bad thing about them, but this thing is nice. It came with a Tapco trigger group, and I am well pleased with it.....Now I can't wait to swap off my S&W pistol for another AK....

slamfire51
01-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Welcome MarshalSHolland!!

Hard to get the AKs out of the blood completely, isn't it?
Congrats on your new acquisition, and future ones.