PDA

View Full Version : Trackers Outdoor Immersion Program

btcave
01-15-2011, 09:57 PM
This would be cool if you had the time to commit to it. Might have some hippie overtones, but I saw bows and arrows and they talk about learning to track animals, so maybe not too granola?

http://trackerspdx.com/wilderness-survival-and-traditional-skills-immersion.php

http://trackerspdx.com/images/thumbnail/banners/ranger.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKBtsv--CTg&feature=player_embedded#!

The Trackers Difference

What is Outoor Immersion?

Outoor Immersion is more than learning by doing, it is learning by living. Our world today has forgotten its roots. Humans thrived sustainably as hunter-gatherers and horticulturists for thousands of years on this Earth. In our wilderness and traditional skills immersion programs you join a team, a community, a village of fellow adventurers seeking the knowledge and wisdom vital to remembering our ancient heritage.
Program Options

There is the Trackers immersion program to fit your life. You can join us for a summer of primitive camping and learning in our Summer Wilderness Survival Village. You can work and live your life while also attending our 9-month Part-Time Immersion Programs in Portland or the Bay Area. Or you can jump full in, living for 1-year completely on the land with our The Trackers Village Residential Immersion Program.
Help Connecting

Not sure if you are looking for Summer, Part-Time or Residential Immersion? At Trackers is are dedicated to finding the best match for you. Even if, on rare occasion, that means recommending a different school that may best suit your needs. This is an important choice directing all of us to a new way of living and learning.

Trackers Earth is well known for doing far more with our programs than other wilderness and traditional living schools. Yet we do not accomplish this simply by more activity. We have refined the art of how we learn as individuals and a collaborative learning community. This is the Art of Flow to competency and mastery.

Trackers is also known for keeping it real. In tracking we don't simply show you how to find footprints in the sand, we teach you how to trail the deer, following the track to the animal itself. In survival we don't simply have you build the debris shelter and sleep in it for a two nights, instead it becomes your home night after night until you personally own that skill. Our food is not simply bought at the local organic grocery store, it is often part of the foraging, homesteading and harvesting network of local hunter-gatherers.

Trackers Instructors have gone much further than simply learning from one school (even ours). They are highly experienced, self taught and self-directed individuals. At Trackers we celebrate creative genius, cultivating a learning environment of rich humor, deep caring and extreme competency.

arcangel
01-16-2011, 12:57 AM
That would be really cool! Havent heard of little villiage camps like that before.

L1A1Rocker
01-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Very tempting.

Integratedj
01-16-2011, 10:41 AM
That would be one hell of an amazing year if I could take that much time and go do that. Even just for the summer it would be a blast learning new things.

I think the only downside would be all the women growing leg fur.

btcave
01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I think the only downside would be all the women growing leg fur.

I spent 3 years stationed in Germany, I can tell you that you get used to it.:coffee:

arcangel
01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters

Some good info on this site, related to bushcraft and outdoor skills. Also some vids on bow making, and flint knapping.

Integratedj
01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I spent 3 years stationed in Germany, I can tell you that you get used to it.:coffee:

Thankfully I'll never have to get used to it all thanks to the Miracle of laser hair removal. Got to love modern technology.

HDR
01-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Outoor Immersion is more than learning by doing, it is learning by living. Our world today has forgotten its roots. Humans thrived sustainably as hunter-gatherers and horticulturists for thousands of years on this Earth. In our wilderness and traditional skills immersion programs you join a team, a community, a village of fellow adventurers seeking the knowledge and wisdom vital to remembering our ancient heritage.
Program Options

They realize that no matter how well you prepare in time you'll become a hunter-gather. That is the good news; the bad news is there were a lot less humans back then than now.

O.S.O.K.
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
No prices listed for anything... I guess you have to contact them.

Yeah, this is for low population density only. And then there's the problem of the other "guild" = the predators. These are the outside people that will use available technology to take what they want from you.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to just live that simple life? I would really love it but basically, they are talking about small comunes and it has been shown that these always devolve into some one or some smaller group dominating and taking advantage of the others. It just doesn't work if what you are after is liberty. Further, what happens when you get cancer or some other life threatening or even just debilitating health problem?

Fine for a vacation/sebbatical, but just not a long-term answer.

There are a lot of reasons that we have "evolved" into the societal organization that we now see - all of the problems of the early versions lead to a change/improvement. Yes, we've also lost things too...

Regardless, very interesting post.

HDR
01-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Fine for a vacation/sebbatical, but just not a long-term answer.

After about a year or so; you'll find hunter-gatherer will fit quite well.