PDA

View Full Version : Filled up the gas cans and applied the stabil again...

O.S.O.K.
01-17-2011, 08:24 PM
We keep about 35-40 gallons of gasoline in our back shed. I took the time again to top off the supply.

I know that's not an awful lot but I think its plenty to store in that place and enough to extend a trip quite a ways if the need arose...

The wife's been showing interest lately in stocking up on meat for some reason and the upright freezer in the garage is maxed out. We're thinking of getting another freezer, a chest style this time but that then begs the questions "what if the power goes off for a time?". And I think about a small generator... something that I don't currently have.

Flinter
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
I keep 13 gallons in the Corolla.....gets me about a million miles! :laugh:

El Jefe
01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Not a bad idea really. I'm looking for fuel prices to spike soon like they did a few years back.

Mark Ducati
01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Back in 2008 when gas hit $4.00 bucks a gallon or more, I went out and bought 9 Five Red gallon gas cans... had to buy 3 Five gallon Blue Kerosene cans as all the red ones were sold out.

I bought some of that "gas saver" preservative and per the instructions used a double dose to extend the life 2 years instead of one.

I've been using the gas in my 4 wheeler ever since and has worked fine... used the last container a couple months ago.

I need to re-stock my 60 gallons now... that should get me through any December 21, 2012 crisis...

Thanks for the reminder.

The only thing I think i might do different is now buy some 30 or 50 gallon upright barrels to store the gas in and one of those hand crank pumps... this way, the cans/gas takes up less space in the garage.

Thinking of going with something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fHiBXk5pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DJ4etsOFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The above two are less than $20 bucks... but you can go all out for something like this for a little over $100 buckshttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11FpdPdBD0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31DpXMqUyxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They don't make 30 or 50 gallon gas cans... so I'll probably use some 30 gallon water barrels, PVC is PVC right, doesn't matter if its red or blue?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11FpdPdBD0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

cevulirn
01-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Careful about using water containers for gas... Gas can eat some plastics. Not sure about PVC, from what I see polyethelyne is a common gas can material.

ubersoldate
01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Ive got a 250 gallon tank that I bought for my red diesle stove, that Im not using since I decided to go with a 200 gallon one...

Its sitting on my property, has heavy duty stilts but filling it up is what would kill me dollar wise...
Wish I could fill it though.

jojo
01-17-2011, 10:19 PM
I filled up a 250 gallon tank a few months ago. Glad I did it now. Just a tip. If you can buy the fuel for agricultural use, you can get it cheaper. I'm sure that if the SHTF they won't be checking for dye in the fuel.

Full Otto
01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
This is all that showed up of your title on the front page

"Filled up the gas cans and applied"

I thought it was going to say "for welfare"

O.S.O.K.
01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Why the hell would you think that?

And the entire title shows on my computer...

And you know, I should probably get some more cans and fill em up...

Full Otto
01-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I was referring to the sidebar on the homepage where new threads show up temporarily.
Was just a comment on the prices

L1A1Rocker
01-20-2011, 08:23 PM
We keep about 35-40 gallons of gasoline in our back shed. I took the time again to top off the supply.

I know that's not an awful lot but I think its plenty to store in that place and enough to extend a trip quite a ways if the need arose...

The wife's been showing interest lately in stocking up on meat for some reason and the upright freezer in the garage is maxed out. We're thinking of getting another freezer, a chest style this time but that then begs the questions "what if the power goes off for a time?". And I think about a small generator... something that I don't currently have.

I go through that ritual at the begining of hurican season.

BTW what kind of cans do you use. I had one that was three years old that split. I'm using the 6 gallon plastic cans.

aliceinchains
01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
We have had the same chest freezer for about 20 years now. If it was to take a dump i would get another. If that answers you question about buying one there buddy.

O.S.O.K.
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
I was referring to the sidebar on the homepage where new threads show up temporarily.
Was just a comment on the prices

OIC - like I was broke after that and needed to... gotcha.

- Rocker, I'm using mostly the red 5+ gallon poly cans - like you get at wally world. Seem to be OK. Nothing to rave about. I wish they had the old milsurp metal cans available for cheap - those are the schitz.

And Alice - that's pretty good- 20 years... I think that's how old our fridge in the kitchen is... no - it's 17 - got it around the same time my youngest son was born :) The wife's been threatening to get a new one...

Altarboy
01-22-2011, 03:15 PM
It's very important to stock gas and kero for the heater. Even if you have only ten gallons or so, you're better off than 95% of your neighbors. I keep about 25 gals of each on hand. When we experienced the gas shortage a couple years ago, I saw the cops breaking up a pretty tough fight at a station on Briley Pkwy. People missed work that week. A couple of truck lines even went a day or so w/o fuel(diesel).