PDA

View Full Version : Holsters?

AKTexas
07-26-2010, 08:37 AM
We have talked about survival guns,vest,rucks,knives and such but what about holsters?

What is your preferred method of holsters for your shtf gear,drop leg,belt holster,should rig attaching to a vest?What is ideal for you?

When I'm on the lease I use just a standard belt holster typically on the strongside about 5 o'clock.

When I out in public I carry IWB concealed.

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
My standard web gear holster is the Bianchi m-12 flap holster:

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/prodimages/M12_l.jpg

Works with a variety of autoloaders - like any of the 45's or other that I'd choose - 1911, Sig P-220, Glock 20, XD-45, S&W 4586

Have basic mag pouches to go with.

Mac_Muz
07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
This is the same as one gun, or one knife to me, and to me, there is no one over all, one holster does it all. The result is I have several for some guns, and none of them do all things well.
Certainly in SHTF you will want more than one side arm even if they are the same thing. IE; (2) govt mod .45s say. maybe one is open carry while the other is not???

Me: I don't like giving up the tactic of surprise, so I probably would never open carry.

I would never want to give up my possition either, meaning to let a predator see me. Why would i? Make the SOB find me if he can, make him work to do it if i can, make him use up time and resources if i can. Weaken him while i stay in reserve.

If you ever find a one holster does it all I would be real interested.

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I use this Blackhawk holster.

You can use it as a drop-leg holster.
You can take it off the drop-leg attachment and use it as a standard belt holster.
It's also completely reversible in both configurations so it can be used either left or right handed.
The inside of the holster is also adjustable, so it can be made to fit a pistol with and also without a tac light attached.
It can also be used on a standard belt, but also on MOLLE gear too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/8c901fe3.jpg

DesertDawg
07-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Uncle mikes drop leg.

ubersoldate
07-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Ive tried all kinds of nice holsters over the years, from custom leather, to high speed tactical drop legs and for me, the only one that I found to work the best, is a elcheapo fobus paddle.
Waterproof, durable, and easy to remove quickly if need to be.

I think a few posts on here over the years that Ive read by HDR, DD, and kalishnikev kind of got me thinking about my shtf load out stuff...
That I might have to run into other people, or end up in a place where wearing all the heavy gear might not be the best bet.

Contact with anyone via firearms is pretty much what Im NOT looking for, so Id want to carry enough firepower to hit hard and get the hell out of dodge but not look like a barrel bristeling tank from a mile off...

American Rage
07-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I got a couple of cheap UTG shoulder holsters as well as a slide holster.

What I really want though is an inside the waistband crossdraw. I have extra long arms and strong side holsters don't work for me.

That, and I really want an M12 type Bianchi for my G19.

Rage

ready
07-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Holsters is another thing I've gone through ALOT of over the years. Both duty and off duty. On duty, I'm using a Safariland ALS that accomodates my TLR1. So far, it's the best duty holster I've ever used and it'll be what I strap on if SHTF. If I'm going clandestine, I've used those cheap $10 synthetic Uncle Mike's IWB's but I just purchased a Kholster IWB and a Crossbreed. Haven't received them yet but I'll let you know what I think when they get here. Both are hybrid leather/kydex IWB's.

Zoff12
07-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I carry a Glock 22 w/ Surefire X200 in a Safariland (http://www.safariland.com/) ALS 6304 (http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6304)...
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/images/catalog/6304.jpg
I did modify it to a quick release strap but other than that it's bone stock.

ready
07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
That's the same one I use, Glock 22 w/TLR1. I removed that goofy shield they put over the thumb brake because I kept hitting it when I would draw my weapon.

AKTexas
07-26-2010, 06:17 PM
http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_158.jpg

I'm looking at a Blade-Tech holster minus the knife for the G21 and Streamlight M3.Nice holster and you can get them in various colors.But general purpose everyday wear I go with the IWB style holsters.

Zoff12
07-26-2010, 06:39 PM
http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_158.jpg

I'm looking at a Blade-Tech holster minus the knife for the G21 and Streamlight M3.Nice holster and you can get them in various colors.But general purpose everyday wear I go with the IWB style holsters.
I like Blade-Tech. I use a UCH on a daily basis and have been considering the one you posted (in O.D.) for some time now.

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Which holster has better retention?

Zoff12
07-26-2010, 07:32 PM
AFAIK... The only retention for the BT is the thumbreak. The ALS has the thumbreak and a tension screw. The hood is there so someone trying to take your weapon has trouble pushing the thumbreak. The hood also prevents accidental activation.

old Grump
07-26-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.marstar.ca/ac-holsters/images/HOL-010-125px.jpg

http://www.marstar.ca/ac-holsters/images/HOL-011-brown-125px.jpg

And I have the HOL-011L. What can I say, I'm old school, web belt and canvas pouches too. Us dinosaurs go with what we was brung up with.

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.marstar.ca/ac-holsters/images/HOL-010-125px.jpg

http://www.marstar.ca/ac-holsters/images/HOL-011-brown-125px.jpg

And I have the HOL-011L. What can I say, I'm old school, web belt and canvas pouches too. Us dinosaurs go with what we was brung up with.

Well in your case, shouldn't you be using sticks and rocks then?
:club:

old Grump
07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Well in your case, shouldn't you be using sticks and rocks then?
:club:

Why do you think I have 3 holsters? 2 for rocks and one for a stick. :coffee:

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Why do you think I have 3 holsters? 2 for rocks and one for a stick. :coffee:

ha ha ha

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 11:41 PM
AFAIK... The only retention for the BT is the thumbreak. The ALS has the thumbreak and a tension screw. The hood is there so someone trying to take your weapon has trouble pushing the thumbreak. The hood also prevents accidental activation.

Do they come in any colors other than black?

AKTexas
07-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Do they come in any colors other than black?

Yes they do od green tan etc

Crash
08-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I use a Blackhawk drop leg holster that if needed can be worn in other ways. I also just picked up a Blackhawk holster that attaches using molle straps so I can put it on a vest. I have some holsters from Andrews Custom Leatherworks that I use for concealed carry as well.

Lysander
08-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Ive tried all kinds of nice holsters over the years, from custom leather, to high speed tactical drop legs and for me, the only one that I found to work the best, is a elcheapo fobus paddle.
Waterproof, durable, and easy to remove quickly if need to be.

I think a few posts on here over the years that Ive read by HDR, DD, and kalishnikev kind of got me thinking about my shtf load out stuff...
That I might have to run into other people, or end up in a place where wearing all the heavy gear might not be the best bet.

Contact with anyone via firearms is pretty much what Im NOT looking for, so Id want to carry enough firepower to hit hard and get the hell out of dodge but not look like a barrel bristeling tank from a mile off...

I'm the same way. That's why I use a Sneakybag. Lame name, good product. In it I can carry a loaded Ak with folding stock, and another satchel with 4 rifle mags, 2 g22 mags, a flashlight, medkit, snak, chemlight, and use as a dump pouch. From a distance, just a plain jane grey bag. Give me 3 seconds and I can deploy a loaded rifle. Give me another 20 and I can pull out the satchel to use.

All the while it doesn't interfere in any way with my G22 carried AIWB. I do have a "heavy roller" kit, but that's more because I'm a Gear Queer than anything else.

Paladin
08-22-2010, 11:43 AM
...And I have the HOL-011L. What can I say, I'm old school, web belt and canvas pouches too. Us dinosaurs go with what we was brung up with.

Now we're talking!

arcangel
09-05-2010, 04:04 AM
I was in search for what I wanted to be my Shtf kit that I could get to do most tasks. I ended up with a Eberlestock G4 Operator in Desert Tan. If I wanted to go completely heavy I could carry 3 rifles, Bolt rifle in the scabbard, AR10 carbine taken down into side pockets each with 4-6 mags in each, and AR-15 on carry. Not including sidearms. The ruck weighs with cold weather/warm weather gear, and 14 MREs battlepacked, 200 rds 308, and 40 rds 45. with bolt 308 and AR10, med kit, mess kit, Katadyn,and other odds and ends, at 65-70lbs. I mean its not light but shit its the most badass ruck I've gotten my hands on. Ive had Alice, and blackhawk. But this does it. Gone camping out of it 4 weeks total so far this summer, got it in spring. Pricey at $550.00 online at their website. No complaints about the ruck either rugged as hell and after I figured out how I like the weight to be settled I liked it. Whats cool is I cant fill it, I still have plenty of room in side pockets for the kichen sink. Or it could go discrete and fold up.

For holsters at least carry wise Galco Leather inside the pants rocks for me. In shorts and shirt I could conceal a HK USP 45 Tac and G19 w/2 blackhawk mag carriers inside the pant as well and 1 USP mag in rear pocket, I was wearing dark colours like blue, but there was so very little printing. But really tight and uncomfortable. In a post Shtf scenario 2 concealed pistols wouldnt hurt. And say some 33 rnd G19 mags. For range on the G19 I use a blackhawk Serpa with 33's sometimes.

justinsaneok
09-05-2010, 04:38 AM
I was in search for what I wanted to be my Shtf kit that I could get to do most tasks. I ended up with a Eberlestock G4 Operator in Desert Tan. If I wanted to go completely heavy I could carry 3 rifles, Bolt rifle in the scabbard, AR10 carbine taken down into side pockets each with 4-6 mags in each, and AR-15 on carry. Not including sidearms. The ruck weighs with cold weather/warm weather gear, and 14 MREs battlepacked, 200 rds 308, and 40 rds 45. with bolt 308 and AR10, med kit, mess kit, Katadyn,and other odds and ends, at 65-70lbs. I mean its not light but shit its the most badass ruck I've gotten my hands on. Ive had Alice, and blackhawk. But this does it. Gone camping out of it 4 weeks total so far this summer, got it in spring. Pricey at $550.00 online at their website. No complaints about the ruck either rugged as hell and after I figured out how I like the weight to be settled I liked it. Whats cool is I cant fill it, I still have plenty of room in side pockets for the kichen sink. Or it could go discrete and fold up.

For holsters at least carry wise Galco Leather inside the pants rocks for me. In shorts and shirt I could conceal a HK USP 45 Tac and G19 w/2 blackhawk mag carriers inside the pant as well and 1 USP mag in rear pocket, I was wearing dark colours like blue, but there was so very little printing. But really tight and uncomfortable. In a post Shtf scenario 2 concealed pistols wouldnt hurt. And say some 33 rnd G19 mags. For range on the G19 I use a blackhawk Serpa with 33's sometimes.

+ 1 on the Serpa I was reading the thread like wtf not one person is bringing up the serpa and saw this before i posted it. I love the male/female adapter you can put one on your vest and one on a paddle or belt and move the holster from thing to thing. And the retention and reholstring is great. I like the one I used. I carry with a bianchi belt behind the back middle finger retention thats close to the serpa but its nice leather and just as fast.

abpt1
09-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Well I never thought of a carry rig like the ones posted. I only have CCW holsters.. looks like I need a drop leg for my G20sf.

HDR
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Well I never thought of a carry rig like the ones posted. I only have CCW holsters..

I live in a heavily forested area populated with everything from bears to raccoons. I have a dorg who needs to go out. My CCW and web gear holsters are a pain. I bought a couple of Uncle Mike's "inside-the-pant" holsters. It quickly hooks over a belt or fits well in a back pocket.

avidshooter226
08-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I was tired of buying tons of holsters only to find that they were uncomfortable and didn't really provide me the custom fit I wanted in a holster for everyday wear. So I started shopping around for a custom kydex Holster. I ordered one for my Beretta Nano, from L.A.G. Tactical. Their customer service was exceptional and the order process was easy to complete. The holster i received was made exactly the way I wanted it. Im also left handed and find it extremely difficult to find good left handed holsters in stores. L.A.G. Tactical also sent me two sets of loops for both OWB and IWB carry, its like two holsters in one!!! Ive been wearing mine for about 3 months and have no complaints. If you are tired of having boxes of crappy holsters around, give L.A.G. Tactical a try, personally ill go no where else.:cool1:

O.S.O.K.
08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
:welcome: to the board. Good first post. Even if it is a two-year-old thread :)