PDA

View Full Version : 2012/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI- been doing anything different this last year?

Mark Ducati
07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I've gotten to a point where I'm only restocking the ammo that I shoot... I still pick up a few freeze dried food cans here and there. Rotate the medicine out as it expires, picked up a few extra water filters for my hand pump.

When we opened the pool this spring, the who brought the salt used real salt this time instead of the water softener pellets you get at HomeDepot... big 40lb bags of NaCL, even says "food grade" on the side.

As cheap as the bags were, I got an extra dozen from him that I keep out in the pool house... salt's always good for preserving meat.

One other thing I've stocked up on are these little lighting bolt fireworks... they're about the size of a nickle, like a little bowl of magnesium with a fuse. These little guys burn for like 2 minutes and flicker like lightning, I keep these in the camping bag to start wet tinder.

I've been spending my gun money on car parts lately, although I'm having a S12 tricked out... will post pics when the refinish job is done.

Charliebravo
07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Sneak a few boxes of ammo into the grocery cart every time I hit the Ghetto-Mart. Keep a minimum of 10 cases of water on-hand as well as plenty of food......enough for a few months anyway. I've got a small house with a wife and 3 kids, so I'm limited on how much I can actually store in here. If TSHTF, I just have to survive the first few weeks until things calm down. I've got some supplies pre-positioned with relatives in E. Texas. Once the initial shitstorm is over, I can head east if need be.

old Grump
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Might be I can back off on ammo purchases for awhile, ran out of space to put it until I get my new cabinet and reloading bench built. Also finally got bullets and primers so I can start putting some powder and bullets in all my empty brass. Then I will really have a storage problem. Right now my brass storage is a whole mess of 1 gallon jars and I don't think that will work after they are loaded. I need to find some ammo boxes and cans I can buy for reasonable. The last few cost me dear and I am way short on what I need.

Looking to build a root cellar as soon as I can afford it and it will double as my storm cellar and large perishable supply.

Garden is growing good but not nearly big enough, will have fresh veggies for awhile and hopefully the squash and onions I chose will store well. Going to need to get back in canning though. Tomatoes are going crazy. The one heirloom I planted got wrecked in a storm and the cheap grocery store varieties are going great guns. I don't think I worked that quite right.

American Rage
07-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Nothing. I'm paying off all my bills ASAP and lookin' for a home before the interest rates explode.

Hope to get a good deal on a foreclosure, preferably on an acre. But time will tell.

Rage

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 12:06 AM
I paid off my house in full.
My biggest monthly bill is now gone.

renegadebuck
07-13-2010, 12:32 AM

Good for you! I'm trying to work on food now.

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 01:06 AM
You don't have any food?

Or do you mean you are stockpiling food?

chiak47
07-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Swampy has a cool God; his says it's OK to devour human meat; therefore, he does not need to stockpile food.

:crazy: :smiley_freak:

Maser**
07-13-2010, 02:31 AM
I've been buying mole gear. Good stuff, you should try this stuff it is real good for gun stuff.

Broondog
07-13-2010, 03:06 AM
i'm pretty good on food. rationed right i have about 3 months worth. water is on the OK side but i still need to implement an alternate method of pumping the well in the event of long term power issues.

lately i've been slowly stocking up on other goods. when i need an oil change or tune up stuff i double up. same goes with toiletries and household cleaning supplies. also have a good supply of TP, trash and ziplok bags, foil (so they can't read my thoughts), Zippo fluid and flints, a few extra chains for my saw + a bunch of 2 cycle oil. ya know, general odds and ends. i wish i had more room for gasoline (only have 30 gals on hand) but them damn 5gal jugs just don't stack well. i'd get one of those above ground gravity tanks but when folks see those they might think 'free gas' and then i'd have to find room to stack the bodies! :D

in essence i've been trying to think more about the big picture. i'll be staying home if TSHTF so i want to be as comfy and self sufficient as possible.

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 03:07 AM
Swampy has a cool God; his says it's OK to devour human meat; therefore, he does not need to stockpile food.

:crazy: :smiley_freak:

That's right.
You let 'em starve for a lil while until they get weak....then bash 'em in the head with a rock and toss 'em in the pot.
Good eatin' if ya do it right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/smilies/66c88bd3.gif

L1A1Rocker
07-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Keep a minimum of 10 cases of water on-hand as well as plenty of food......enough for a few months anyway. I've got a small house with a wife and 3 kids, so I'm limited on how much I can actually store in here. If TSHTF, I just have to survive the first few weeks until things calm down. I've got some supplies pre-positioned with relatives in E. Texas. Once the initial shitstorm is over, I can head east if need be.

I took care of my water issue with a 55 gallon drum. You can get the FDA approved ones at the garden center of most super wal marts for around 30 bucks. I initially got it for Y2K but since I live in a hurrican area anyway I kept it. Makes things a lot easier than trying to dysinfect and seal up the bathtub everytime a hurrican is on its way. You can get a hand pump at harbor freight if you store it upright or do as I did. I built a cradle for it so it layes on its side. One of the bung hole caps is already threaded for an outdoor type faucet. Just drill it out and screw a "male" threaded faucet into it and lay it on its side. Works great.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/10_12_06_2223.jpg

chiak47
07-13-2010, 03:32 AM
That's right.
You let 'em starve for a lil while until they get weak....then bash 'em in the head with a rock and toss 'em in the pot.
Good eatin' if ya do it right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/smilies/66c88bd3.gif

Remember, you get the shakes if you eat too much long-pig...

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 03:54 AM
I took care of my water issue with a 55 gallon drum. You can get the FDA approved ones at the garden center of most super wal marts for around 30 bucks. I initially got it for Y2K but since I live in a hurrican area anyway I kept it. Makes things a lot easier than trying to dysinfect and seal up the bathtub everytime a hurrican is on its way. You can get a hand pump at harbor freight if you store it upright or do as I did. I built a cradle for it so it layes on its side. One of the bung hole caps is already threaded for an outdoor type faucet. Just drill it out and screw a "male" threaded faucet into it and lay it on its side. Works great.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/10_12_06_2223.jpg

That's pretty cool.

swampdragon
07-13-2010, 03:57 AM
Remember, you get the shakes if you eat too much long-pig...

Only livers. I hate liver. Yuck.

Charliebravo
07-13-2010, 11:30 AM
That's a sweet setup, L1A1. Unfortunately, I don't have room for one and Mrs. 'Bravo would think that I'd lost my mind if I tried. Most of what I have is rather inconspicuous. She has no idea how prepared we are.

renegadebuck
07-13-2010, 01:09 PM
You don't have any food?

Or do you mean you are stockpiling food?

The freezer just died, lost all of what was in there. Said screw it and buried freezer and all because it smelled so bad. So much for having generator back up for power.
Yeah, it's bare as hell here. You'd think Gib and Hondo passed through! :)
I still have the can food, but the meat is history!

Mark Ducati
07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah, thanks L1A1... it was your post last year that got me to get one of those blue barrels too... mines a 30gal barrel, but I store it upright. I have a spigot that at the bottom that I can hook a short 3ft hose to get water into a pot if need be.

I went with the 30gallon one because I can fill it up and raise it by myself over the side of the bathtub to empty it (I store it in the vault's bathroom). I change the water out every 6 months doing the clorox thing.

Mark Ducati
07-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Oh, a few more things... For the last year, every time we go on vacation or out of town, I've been stocking up or stealing the little shampoo/soap bottles from the hotels/maid-carts. Got a healthy supply of razor blades to shave with (those things are about near as expensive as ammo!). And I even bought a a still off of ebay to make my own hooch! I'll start a separate post for that.

chiak47
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
I'll start a separate post for that.

Can't wait to see it..Swampy has been talking to deaf ears concerning a survival sub-forum and I for one would enjoy learning from you guys.

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I switched to my left hand.

TEN-32
07-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh, a few more things... For the last year, every time we go on vacation or out of town, I've been stocking up or stealing the little shampoo/soap bottles from the hotels/maid-carts. Got a healthy supply of razor blades to shave with (those things are about near as expensive as ammo!). And I even bought a a still off of ebay to make my own hooch! I'll start a separate post for that.
I'd like to learn how to do this also.:lets-drink:

Mac_Muz
07-13-2010, 07:54 PM
That's a sweet setup, L1A1. Unfortunately, I don't have room for one and Mrs. 'Bravo would think that I'd lost my mind if I tried. Most of what I have is rather inconspicuous. She has no idea how prepared we are.

LOL wait till she panics and then tell her it's cool? Man I would love to be the fly on the wall that day.

Mac_Muz
07-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Can't wait to see it..Swampy has been talking to deaf ears concerning a survival sub-forum and I for one would enjoy learning from you guys.

You mean we don't have that sub forum?

I just got the new this place is up and running again. Just lookin' around. Trying to find the How Too's of navigation.

NewbieAKguy
07-14-2010, 02:24 AM
I switched to my left hand.

Lol! I nearly choked on my tea...caught me off guard. I've still been getting an extra can or two of veggies/soup/whatever when on sale and ammo and couple mags for my g21sf when funds are available. Main objective now is to get all my CCs paid off, cut up the ones with highest interest rates (will keep best two, then use sparingly), help pay off wife's car and keep plugging away on my degree. And mixing in some OT when I can.

az_paul
07-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Just refinanced the house at a lower rate. Added some more in the staples department, like rice. Pretty well set with food and water for my wife, animals and myself. The problem might be not having enough if other people show up. I've told them they have to bring a three month supply of food, water and medicine for themselves or don't show up. But that doesn't mean they'll do it. It'd be very hard to turn good friends away.

swampdragon
07-17-2010, 12:31 AM
The freezer just died, lost all of what was in there. Said screw it and buried freezer and all because it smelled so bad. So much for having generator back up for power.
Yeah, it's bare as hell here. You'd think Gib and Hondo passed through! :)
I still have the can food, but the meat is history!

Wow. I lost track of this thread.
Do you need anything, or are you OK?

Maser**
07-17-2010, 02:52 AM
Been doing a lot of practice in my backyard. Won't go into specifics on the internet for all to see though.

gpwasr10
07-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Been doing a lot of practice in my backyard. Won't go into specifics on the internet for all to see though.

For the love of god, don't.

Maser**
07-17-2010, 03:21 AM
For the love of god, don't.

Your just jelous that your parents don'g have a big backyard to practice in.

Lysander
07-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Moving to a new city means I get to redo most of my plans. For my brother, it's a plus, because he gets a lot of stuff I've cached over the last 5 years.

Mark Ducati
07-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Just refinanced the house at a lower rate. Added some more in the staples department, like rice. Pretty well set with food and water for my wife, animals and myself. The problem might be not having enough if other people show up. I've told them they have to bring a three month supply of food, water and medicine for themselves or don't show up. But that doesn't mean they'll do it. It'd be very hard to turn good friends away.

Paul, do you have children? Trust me, it'd be easy to turn friends away... I'd even turn my own mother away to feed my children, and before y'all say how cold I am, I HAVE had this conversation with my mother and she voluntarily said she would rather starve than see me (her child) starve and I feel the same way about my children.

My wife has a large extended family with lots of nieces/nephews... we too have had this conversation, if it comes down to my children starving over a shorter period of time by having to share with everyone vs. cutting the extended family off... my kids will be eating (and a lot of this depends on the situation... are we talking Jericho where an EMP plunges the US into blackout for a year? or a Hurricane that will be over in a a couple weeks). Lots to think about, but my point of this is that you NEED to think about these things NOW so that when the situation arises, there is no hesitation and you ACT upon your PLAN.

Lysander
07-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Paul, do you have children? Trust me, it'd be easy to turn friends away... I'd even turn my own mother away to feed my children, and before y'all say how cold I am, I HAVE had this conversation with my mother and she voluntarily said she would rather starve than see me (her child) starve and I feel the same way about my children.

My wife has a large extended family with lots of nieces/nephews... we too have had this conversation, if it comes down to my children starving over a shorter period of time by having to share with everyone vs. cutting the extended family off... my kids will be eating (and a lot of this depends on the situation... are we talking Jericho where an EMP plunges the US into blackout for a year? or a Hurricane that will be over in a a couple weeks). Lots to think about, but my point of this is that you NEED to think about these things NOW so that when the situation arises, there is no hesitation and you ACT upon your PLAN.

This.

My brother and I made up some BOB's for my parents, but told them beyond that, they'd be on their own. They keep some stuff on hand, but not enough to really survive off of. Their call. It may sound cold hearted, but you can't help those who won't help themselves.

O.S.O.K.
07-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Good to "see" all of the old familiars on this thread :D

Since the day the board died (feel free to make a song about that), I've done a few prep things. Switching to my left hand just didn't work, so I guess I'm stuck with the right - callouses and all.

Seriously, I have all the stuff exept for the piping (must go to plumbing supply place) for a driven point well - which will give me a source of water - may or may not have to boil or sterilize this, but I know the water table is near enough to the surface to do this. I have about 6 months + food stores - things that we eat (mostly) all of the time anyway and so I just rotate through inventory. Guns and ammo were seen to many moons ago. Started purchasing silver - and will keep that up until I have around $10K for emergency funds. Lots of controversy over precious metals as "barter", but I think its the way to go for an emergency fund. I've stocked up on personal care products - soap, shampoo, common medications, etc. - again, rotating stock of things used anyway. Have a couple of field med kits with surgical kit and sutures. Routinely keep extra fuel in our large garden shed - between 10 and 25 gallson depending on if I stay up with keeping them filled. Also put in a "test" garden this year - and found what works and what doesn't - at least for the placement and methodology that we used... we have a 1/2 acre lot and so, with careful use, we could feed ourselves - probably need to get some goats and chickens - and maybe rabbits.

I am considering getting a wind generator and solar panels - enough to drive the freezer anyhoo. This will run around $1500 total... I think. A small woodburning stove is under consideration too - and I would begin to stock up on wood for it. I already have a two-chamber smoker grill that can be used along with all kinds of camping stoves, etc., but I may go this route too.

I fully expect that things will not get to the point that bugging out will be required, but if it were to, I could put together a good survival load and have everything needed to keep us sheltered, fed and protected.

In fact, I don't expect things to get beyond "severe economic depression" with water and power supply maintained and only an increase in security concerns. Of course there will be run away inflation but the house payments, etc. will remain static. My wife is a teacher and that should be one of the last jobs to go... my job as a sales manager is more expendible...

renegadebuck
07-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Wow. I lost track of this thread.
Do you need anything, or are you OK?

Yeah, I'm OK, thanks for asking. I lost about 1/2 a cow and 3 deer. I'll try to replenish the deer this year and hopefully the cow. Freezer comes first though.:D

renegadebuck
07-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Good to "see" all of the old familiars on this thread :D

Since the day the board died (feel free to make a song about that), I've done a few prep things. Switching to my left hand just didn't work, so I guess I'm stuck with the right - callouses and all.

Seriously, I have all the stuff exept for the piping (must go to plumbing supply place) for a driven point well - which will give me a source of water - may or may not have to boil or sterilize this, but I know the water table is near enough to the surface to do this. I have about 6 months + food stores - things that we eat (mostly) all of the time anyway and so I just rotate through inventory. Guns and ammo were seen to many moons ago. Started purchasing silver - and will keep that up until I have around $10K for emergency funds. Lots of controversy over precious metals as "barter", but I think its the way to go for an emergency fund. I've stocked up on personal care products - soap, shampoo, common medications, etc. - again, rotating stock of things used anyway. Have a couple of field med kits with surgical kit and sutures. Routinely keep extra fuel in our large garden shed - between 10 and 25 gallson depending on if I stay up with keeping them filled. Also put in a "test" garden this year - and found what works and what doesn't - at least for the placement and methodology that we used... we have a 1/2 acre lot and so, with careful use, we could feed ourselves - probably need to get some goats and chickens - and maybe rabbits.

I am considering getting a wind generator and solar panels - enough to drive the freezer anyhoo. This will run around $1500 total... I think. A small woodburning stove is under consideration too - and I would begin to stock up on wood for it. I already have a two-chamber smoker grill that can be used along with all kinds of camping stoves, etc., but I may go this route too.

I fully expect that things will not get to the point that bugging out will be required, but if it were to, I could put together a good survival load and have everything needed to keep us sheltered, fed and protected.

In fact, I don't expect things to get beyond "severe economic depression" with water and power supply maintained and only an increase in security concerns.

Good to hear from you OSOK!

O.S.O.K.
07-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey Mike!

So the generator didn't do the trick? I've thought of just doing that too... enough for the freezer at least. So what happened???

Uncle Scary
07-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Yeah, well F U.

*Uncle Scary shakes fist at Swampdragon in anger and envy*

Uncle Scary
07-17-2010, 04:02 PM
2012/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI- been doing anything different this last year?

Nope. Aside from buying more ammo, nothing is different from last year. I have the camping gear, water purifier, and 3 cases of MREs, several shortwave radios and my HF amateur transceiver. That may not seem like a lot, but when I show what little I have to friends who are totally unprepared, they comment about how they're coming over to my house (they think they are) in the event of an emergency.

swampdragon
07-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey Mike!

So the generator didn't do the trick? I've thought of just doing that too... enough for the freezer at least. So what happened???

That's what I was wondering too.
I don't have a back-up generator, but have often thought about getting one.
What went wrong?

swampdragon
07-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, well F U.

*Uncle Scary shakes fist at Swampdragon in anger and envy*

If it makes you feel any better, my savings is now about depleted.
And, my income has dropped a lot since I retired.

recon
07-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Need to increase the food storage area.

renegadebuck
07-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Hey Mike!

The generator can't help if the damn thing just dies. I thought with the gen, I had most things covered. All It took was one weekend without going in the shop and checking on it. Oh well, just my luck! :D

ubersoldate
07-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Other than my normal gun/ammo/supply buys I decided to get my ass back in shape pronto...

p90, running every night...went from 240 back to 190...Feeling awesome...
Spending alot more time hiking in the desert as well...
That and another couple pistol courses...

ready
07-18-2010, 01:53 AM
You and me both. I was doing alot of power lifting, got myself up to 250lbs before I realized how impractical it was to be that big. I'm back to a more functional workout. Running, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, planks, swimming. Back down to 205.

ubersoldate
07-18-2010, 02:06 AM
You and me both. I was doing alot of power lifting, got myself up to 250lbs before I realized how impractical it was to be that big. I'm back to a more functional workout. Running, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, planks, swimming. Back down to 205.

Good for you ready! I got up that high with working out on fast food and just being lazy!

ready
07-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks. It's easy to get lazy. If it were easy to stay fit, everyone would be.

P.S. Running sucks.

matshock
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
P.S. Running sucks.

Biking sucks more- it takes twice as long to get the same amount of exercise. Running is a fast ticket to weight loss.

gunhack
07-18-2010, 05:19 PM
"And I even bought a a still off of ebay to make my own hooch! I'll start a separate post for that. "

how big..? how much did it cost 'ya...? I was thinking of 'shine for barter.. folks always want coffee, tobacco and hooch...

O.S.O.K.
07-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Renegade - that makes sense. And it sucks. Hell of a way to lose all your frozen protein.

And speaking of getting into shape - man I gotta get on that wagon.

Good on you guys that are already on it.