PDA

View Full Version : New WASR 10

al2ride
01-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I took a chance ordering my AK online and hoping there were no problems. The ad online stated that it included a bayonet and some other goodies. In fact it arrive without the bayonet, sling, and cleaning rod. I was glad to know that the mags were tight and there was no canting. Only problem was the safety lever being too tight which was easily fixed.

I wanted to put a red dot but didn't want to have to spend nearly the cost of the actual rifle for it. I decided to go with a Barska, and a side bracket mount. I really like the looks and feel of that set. I did however hate the tapco grip that came with it. I swapped it out for a SAW style grip and that completed the rifle. Next project is to have spare furniture set for a different look. I found an original wood handguard set and now I'm looking for the butt stock. I'd like to stain it in red and shiny lacquer. Can't beat this rifle for the money...it's simply awesome.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll188/slapaho_photos/WASR10.jpg

FunkyPertwee
01-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I was about to complain about the stock set until I read your plans to give it some class.

Is that silver Bear ammo? That is good ammo; Good choice for stockpiling. I suggest you get a stack of surplus steel mags or Bulgarian polymer waffle mags and forget the tapco. I would also recommend the orange bakelite mags except they're too expensive to stockpile in my opinion.

Congrats on a good rifle and welcome to the forum!

Lysander
01-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Why would you put something on your AK, like a Barska optic, that is less robust and reliable than the weapon? You'd be better off learning to use it properly with irons instead.

georgep
01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Interesting build. Being new this type of information is great.
Please explain the comment about the mags. I have just bought two Romanian and would like to know what to look for before I take it to the range Saturday.

George P

FunkyPertwee
01-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Interesting build. Being new this type of information is great.
Please explain the comment about the mags. I have just bought two Romanian and would like to know what to look for before I take it to the range Saturday.

George P

Make sure they lock in tight and don't wobble so much as to cause unreliable feeding or distraction to your shooting. If they fit good enough, 95% of the rest of steel surplus mags will fit as well.

Romanian mags are fine although I prefer Chinese mags.

imanaknut
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I am having a severe case of deja vu as I could swear I have seen that rifle before!

Oh well, been a long day. :D :D

Regardless my problem, now get a bunch of ammo, and go out and enjoy that puppy!

al2ride
01-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I was about to complain about the stock set until I read your plans to give it some class.

Is that silver Bear ammo? That is good ammo; Good choice for stockpiling. I suggest you get a stack of surplus steel mags or Bulgarian polymer waffle mags and forget the tapco. I would also recommend the orange bakelite mags except they're too expensive to stockpile in my opinion.

Congrats on a good rifle and welcome to the forum!I think a dark cherry stain with lots of gloss would look awesome. Good call on the Silver Bear. Bought a case for pretty cheap and will be getting another one as soon as funds come available. The rifle came with two Romanian steel mags, one was a great fit and I had to file the other one to get it to seat right.

al2ride
01-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Why would you put something on your AK, like a Barska optic, that is less robust and reliable than the weapon? You'd be better off learning to use it properly with irons instead.She's not my home protection firearm. You are right, iron sights are good enough, but I wanted something more fun for this AK. It's great to just bring it up and acquire targets quickly...and it's pretty accurate as far as the eye can see since there is no magnification.

al2ride
01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll188/slapaho_photos/AK1.jpg

AiL45
02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
haha awesome shirt, where did you buy it? love that movie.

also where did you order the bayonet and cleaning rod?

wanted to purchase this shirt once I saw it..

http://www.ak47shirts.com/images/AK-47SHIRTIMAGETWO9.jpg

solarak
02-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Hang on for the ride, it probably won't be your last AK variant, these things are addictive!

try a wood stock set if you get the itch to change it up. I went Tapco for a while, but came back to wood, then went fixed polymer ultimately.

robert
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
nice have fun kill lots of zombies.

skatedcshoes
03-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Are you looking for just an original wood look for the butt stock? I don't know if you have seen the Tapco Timbersmith brown laminated set, but I just bought one and obviously wont need the butt stock. I just recently bought a GP WASR 10 underfolder so have been searching for the best way to mount a red dot onto it also.

O.S.O.K.
03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
haha awesome shirt, where did you buy it? love that movie.

also where did you order the bayonet and cleaning rod?

wanted to purchase this shirt once I saw it..

Here: http://www.cafepress.com/gunsnetstore There is a "STORE" button on the top menu for this link.

And there are all kinds of places to get AK stuff - here's one: http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/accessories-parts/bayonets%2C-knives%2C-shovels/cPath/1_2

AiL45
03-11-2011, 01:52 AM
thx 4 the links.