PDA

View Full Version : Bulgarian AK-74

kalashnikovkitteh
01-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey all, I'm in the market for either a 5.56mm OR a 5.45mm AK. My ex BF gave me a SAR-1, but it had a bit too much kick for me. Of course, I'd love to have an new Arsenal 5.56mm AK, but wow, are they pricey. The ex has one and I love it, but he'd never part with it; especially now since he's the ex. So, I was thinking of a 5.45 like this one:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct950.aspx
Anyone know anything about these rifles? I heard they have US made barrels, but that they are chrome lined. Any idea about the barrel quality? I checked out the youtube video gun test, but I'm not sure I'm sold on getting one. The ex advised I get a Saiga .223 and get it converted, but I kinda want to buy something that is what I want right out of the box.
Thanks!

Bluntforce
01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Century Arms International comes with four mags and a bayonet. American receiver and American chrome lined barrel in 5.45 which is now selling for about a third less per round than .223 or 7.62x39.

imanaknut
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

That looks like a nice rifle. The chrome lined barrel is especially nice considering a lot of 5.45x39 is corrosive. Don't know about the barrel quality, but Atlantic doesn't usually sell inferior stuff.

Atlantic is a great company to deal with, and Blaire, the owner usually gives Gunsnet members a small discount on published prices.

Oh, don't let the idea of corrosive ammo change your mind. As long as you clean the rifle after each time you use it, you will never know the difference. The important thing is to neutralize the corrosive salts. I usually hose my rifle down with Windex with ammonia to neutralize the salt, but warm soapy water, or even just a lot of warm water, followed by normal cleaning and oiling of the rifle will keep it rust free and looking new.

About the 5.45x39. I like to use the AK-74 type rifle as a demo to those who have never shot a Kalashnikov variant before because with the brake designed for the round, there is almost no recoil. I also enjoy myself for the same reason, plus they are pretty accurate for an AK variant.

Solidus-snake
01-20-2011, 03:47 PM
+1 to above post. Thats a good looking rifle there with some good features. Id go for that one, I hear good things about Atlantic Firearms.

kalashnikovkitteh
01-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Corrosive ammo? That doesn't sound good. Is the all ammo for the AK-74 corrosive or just the inexpensive military stuff?

I do like the light recoil of the 5.45 and 5.56 too. I was kinda scared to shoot an AK the first time just because they look like they have a lot of kick. Thankfully the ex had me shoot his 5.56 first, cause I know some guys are dicks and give their GF something with lots of kick to shoot just to laugh when she hurts her shoulder. But I'm no princess either, I never was afraid to shoot my dad's 30-30. I do shoot much better with the smaller calibers though.

Oh, if you take the ugly thing off the end of the rifle does it have much more recoil?

imanaknut
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
You can be pretty sure that Russian military ammo is corrosive. Russian commercial is not. While corrosive sounds bad, corrosive ammo has been around since the beginning of the primer, which is were the corrosive salts hide. While they make the primer more stable, they also draw moisture after firing and if left uncleaned, they cause the firearm to rust. As I stated above, if you take care of your firearms and clean them within a reasonable time after use, there is no reason to worry about corrosive ammo.

As for the device at the end of the muzzle of an AK-74 variant, that muzzle brake is one of the most efficient brakes ever stuck on the end of a rifle. While the 5.45x39 by itself doesn't have much kick, adding that brake just about tames it completely.

Taking it off after shooting is important as you want to clean it and the barrel threads and muzzle end to make sure you get any corrosive salts flushed off. There is a pin on the front sight base that holds the brake in place. Press the pin in and turn the brake the wrong direction to get it off. AK muzzles are threaded left handed so the old "righty tighty lefty loosy" is backwards, so to remove the brake, you turn it the opposite direction that you would if you were removing a standard nut or screw.

Many times when I have tried to take the brake off, it is very tight due to carbon and other crud getting into the threads. The AK-74 type brake is easier to take off than most because you can use a wrench on the flat area towards the front of the brake.

Please feel free and not afraid to ask any questions. We were all new to this at one time, although some seem to forget. There is no such thing as a stupid question if you truly want to learn something, but I guarantee you can get stupid answers! :D

ATAK, Inc.
01-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Corrosive ammo? That doesn't sound good. Is the all ammo for the AK-74 corrosive or just the inexpensive military stuff?

I do like the light recoil of the 5.45 and 5.56 too. I was kinda scared to shoot an AK the first time just because they look like they have a lot of kick. Thankfully the ex had me shoot his 5.56 first, cause I know some guys are dicks and give their GF something with lots of kick to shoot just to laugh when she hurts her shoulder. But I'm no princess either, I never was afraid to shoot my dad's 30-30. I do shoot much better with the smaller calibers though.

Oh, if you take the ugly thing off the end of the rifle does it have much more recoil?

First off, Welcome to the board!!!

I had a great experience with AtlanticFirearms, albeit a few years ago!

Some guys are(dicks), whether they try to be or not! Just ask my wife! :lool:

The surplus military is mildly corrosive, but real easy to clean up from, as noted above, and cheap!

The muzzle brake does contain quite a bit of recoil, mainly for full-auto fire, but why not have all the help you can get! I have two bad shoulders, and use a shooting pad to help. Forgot to take it to the range the last trip and after 2- 100rd belts thru my PKM I remembered why I need it!

Penguin
01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
That one from atlantic looks nice. This is the one I want to get. Arsenel is finially making it.
http://www.arsenalinc.com/sgl31/sgl31-94.jpg
http://www.arsenalinc.com/sgl31-94.htm
The price tag is hard to swallow though. I havne't seen one for sale around here yet though. I hope I come across one.

ATAK, Inc.
01-20-2011, 08:36 PM
That one from atlantic looks nice. This is the one I want to get. Arsenel is finially making it.
http://www.arsenalinc.com/sgl31/sgl31-94.jpg
http://www.arsenalinc.com/sgl31-94.htm
The price tag is hard to swallow though. I havne't seen one for sale around here yet though. I hope I come across one.

That is exactly what I'm going to build! With the option of having a triangle stock and wood fore grips.

FunkyPertwee
01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
That seems like a great deal on that AK-74.

Unfortunately, I've always been turned down for a discount any time I have contacted Atlantic about a Rifle I'm interested in.

Penguin
01-20-2011, 10:23 PM
That is exactly what I'm going to build! With the option of having a triangle stock and wood fore grips.

Cool though I, I would like it just the way it is in the picture I think.

FunkyPertwee
01-20-2011, 10:54 PM

I agree. I love the old color set of red wooden handuards and bakelite magazine and pistol grip.

ATAK, Inc.
01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I agree. I love the old color set of red wooden handuards and bakelite magazine and pistol grip.

Yeah, I want to keep it a little interchangable, to keep from getting bored with it:lool:

I do the same thing with my SAR-1, converted to a left folder. I have both solid and skeleton stock for it!

And I have a Kobra red dot and a PK-A red dot to augment my eyesight!

FunkyPertwee
01-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I want to keep it a little interchangable, to keep from getting bored with it:lool:

I do the same thing with my SAR-1, converted to a left folder. I have both solid and skeleton stock for it!

And I have a Kobra red dot and a PK-A red dot to augment my eyesight!

Excellent!

I use a push button Romanian folder on my SAR-1, along with good condition Romanian bright orange bakelite pistol grip with the inverse diamond checkering and red stained original Romanian handguards. I keep it simple but think it looks great. Also I've got a latest gen Kobra and wide green nylon Romy sling. "Tactical" yet old school.

kalashnikovkitteh
01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
oh yeah, the folding stocks are way cool. I don't like the ones that fold the "wrong way" over the scope mount though. I like the one that looks kinda like a wire coat hanger and has a thumb lever. It folds over the safety lever side, but you can still get your finger to the safety. My ex has one of these on one of his 5.45mm rifles.

BTW, what's a triangle stock?

FunkyPertwee
01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
oh yeah, the folding stocks are way cool. I don't like the ones that fold the "wrong way" over the scope mount though. I like the one that looks kinda like a wire coat hanger and has a thumb lever. It folds over the safety lever side, but you can still get your finger to the safety. My ex has one of these on one of his 5.45mm rifles.

BTW, what's a triangle stock?

A triangle stock is just like the one from Arsenal posted by penguin, except instead of a solid plastic stock that folds its a skelotonized steel folding stock that uses the same mechanism. They are interchangeable from what I understand. Both of these stock types come on special receivers and don't interchange with solid wood stocks.

The coat hanger stock is what I use. It fits on rifles that come with solid non-folding stocks. You just swap out the stocks.

ATAK, Inc.
01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Here's a pic of my SAR-1, I just put the triangle stock on, I like the solid stock for this rifle, a little kinder in the recoil dept!

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_0250.JPG

ETA Psssssttt! Don't notice the screwed rear trunnion, it's just an optical illusion to be remedied soon!

FunkyPertwee
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
You had to get all fancy with the new rear trunnion didn't you? :)

If thats the century pistol grip, there are other classic style black pistol grips that feel a little nicer. That Century grip that came on mine sucks!

And nice looking rifle man!

ATAK, Inc.
01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
You had to get all fancy with the new rear trunnion didn't you? :)

If thats the century pistol grip, there are other classic style black pistol grips that feel a little nicer. That Century grip that came on mine sucks!

And nice looking rifle man!

That's the original pistol grip. I guess I've grown used to it, but a change is not a bad thing!

Thanks!

kalashnikovkitteh
01-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Here's a pic of my SAR-1, I just put the triangle stock on, I like the solid stock for this rifle, a little kinder in the recoil dept!

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_0250.JPG

ETA Psssssttt! Don't notice the screwed rear trunnion, it's just an optical illusion to be remedied soon!

That stock is the coolest looking one I've seen!

Solidus-snake
01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Have any links for how to install a triangle on a fixed stock gun? Wanting one for my Arsenal.

ATAK, Inc.
01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Have any links for how to install a triangle on a fixed stock gun? Wanting one for my Arsenal.

I still have the details for modifying a stock receiver. You need to get a stock complete with all of the trunnion goodies.

I can scan and email the stuff to you next week if you are interested. It took me about 4 hours of work with a drill and dremel and I have better fit than the NODAK receiver I just picked up for my AK-74M build.

FunkyPertwee
01-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I still have the details for modifying a stock receiver. You need to get a stock complete with all of the trunnion goodies.

I can scan and email the stuff to you next week if you are interested. It took me about 4 hours of work with a drill and dremel and I have better fit than the NODAK receiver I just picked up for my AK-74M build.

Do you think you could post it publicly on the board or would it be a copyright violation?

ATAK, Inc.
01-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Do you think you could post it publicly on the board or would it be a copyright violation?

I'll dig up the paper and see if there is any issue with posting it. It won't be till Monday, but if I Can post it, I'll start a new thread.

Schuetzenman
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
That stock is the coolest looking one I've seen!

It folds left side over the scope mount. Theyt do cheek well as do the polymer left folding stocks. The one you were talking about is either Romanian or East German wire folder. I put a Romy on my SAR-3 and it works ok and was easy to put on as it just fits up to the rear trunion and screws to the tangs like a wood stock.

kalashnikovkitteh
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Actually, this stock is the coolest, and it folds to the right!

FunkyPertwee
01-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Actually, this stock is the coolest, and it folds to the right!

So your getting a Galil? Nice rifles but heavy. And mounting a scope can be difficult if I remember correctly.

El Laton Caliente
01-29-2011, 02:18 PM
For a budget priced .223 you could try the Golani Galil by Century. I have two (and one IMI .308), my two running buddys have 1 each and they perform well. The only draw backs are being milled they are heavy, but that also makes them rock solid and lessens recoil and the mags are now more pricey than a few years ago (but so are AK74 mags).

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ProductImages/long_guns/RIFLE-GALIL-B.jpg

At $500 to $560 I think these are a real value in a .223 AK based rifle.

EDIT:
Kalashnikvkitteh, I'd recommend you find a Galil to try before you buy. Depending on your size and strength, you might not like the weight or the rifle. Even if you don't you will be able to get all/most of your money out of it if you don't like it.

The scope issue is correct, the mounts are several times the price of a normal AK mount.

El Laton Caliente
01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Here is the budget answer to the Galil scope issue:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213428301

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/213428000/213428301/pix582148628.jpg

$49 to $59 isn't bad although I haven't used one. The original Israeli IMI mounts run from $80 up to $200 or more for one with the 30mm optic. The original sniper scope is outragous...

kalashnikovkitteh
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
For a budget priced .223 you could try the Golani Galil by Century. I have two (and one IMI .308), my two running buddys have 1 each and they perform well. The only draw backs are being milled they are heavy, but that also makes them rock solid and lessens recoil and the mags are now more pricey than a few years ago (but so are AK74 mags).

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ProductImages/long_guns/RIFLE-GALIL-B.jpg

At $500 to $560 I think these are a real value in a .223 AK based rifle.

EDIT:
Kalashnikvkitteh, I'd recommend you find a Galil to try before you buy. Depending on your size and strength, you might not like the weight or the rifle. Even if you don't you will be able to get all/most of your money out of it if you don't like it.

The scope issue is correct, the mounts are several times the price of a normal AK mount.

Well, I'm 5'10" and weigh 150lbs. soaking wet, so...

I did handle a Galil at the gunstore a while ago and it's definitely too heavy for me. I really love the folding stock though. The guys at the gunstore said that the Ace folding stock is the way to go. Although the Tapco one is nicer on the budget.

El Laton Caliente
02-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Then you should stay away from milled AKs. The Chinese made a right side folder, but those are normally higher. The Bulgarian left side folder is likely the best bet for you, I have one, they are nice and in 5.45 they have very light recoil.

You could also get a SAR3 or WASR in .223 and swap in the Ace folder like they said.

The Ace is better materials/stronger than the Tapco.

recon
02-06-2011, 11:30 PM
That seems like a great deal on that AK-74.

Unfortunately, I've always been turned down for a discount any time I have contacted Atlantic about a Rifle I'm interested in.

Did they say why?

FunkyPertwee
02-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Did they say why?

Last time it was "I thought gunsnet was gone".

I don't think they are current sponsors, so I don't know why they would anyway, even though I would never have even looked at their sight if I hadn't read good things about them on Gunsnet.

I shouldn't have said always. They offered me a $20 discount like three or four years ago.

recon
02-06-2011, 11:52 PM
I thought this company was coming here but I haven't seen anything yet. I know they offer discounts on the other gun boards.

Atlantic Firearms
02-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Folks we try to offer as many discounts as we can but do not offer them on all items due to the price already being marked down , on sale or reduced . We are not aware of any current policy to deny discounts to members of this board so wonder exactly how old mr funkypeewees inquiry was from , it is VERY doubtfull that every time we have turned you down .

FunkyPertwee
02-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Folks we try to offer as many discounts as we can but do not offer them on all items due to the price already being marked down , on sale or reduced . We are not aware of any current policy to deny discounts to members of this board so wonder exactly how old mr funkypeewees inquiry was from , it is VERY doubtfull that every time we have turned you down .

That is very true. I have not been turned down every time. Two posts up you will see where I already corrected myself. You will also see where I defended your decision to deny me a discount because at the time you were not a sponsor to this sight, and on another occasion the sight was shut down.

When do you plan on becoming a sponsor again?

videodon
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
When do you plan on becoming a sponsor again?

+1
:)

Bluntforce
02-12-2011, 01:28 PM
They say you're screwed due to Obi-One-Nairobi's assumption.

http://www.aceltdusa.com/AKStampedNoMods.htm

They moved AND they've been overwhelmed by Hope and Change.