PDA

View Full Version : USPS Flat Rate box price increase

Broondog
01-21-2011, 12:40 AM
dunno if y'all knew this but the flat rate boxes got their rates bumped up. the $4.95 is now $5.20. the $10 is now $10.95. the other larger ones went up too but i don't recall how much. my postmaster said they went up the first of the year.

just an FYI to all y'all. hell, i didn't know so some of you may not either.

i guess stamps are next........again.

ubersoldate
01-21-2011, 12:44 AM
I have returned to only using fed ex, UPS is too exspensive and too many hassles.
The post office has been filled with people who cannot do their job no matter how much more they demand we pay for their services.

Funny thing was, I saw that stupid ass commercial, and turned to my wife and remarked that prices will go up in 6mos to pay for all the airtime.

Another government institution that instead of propping up, we should burn to the ground.

Broondog
01-21-2011, 03:42 AM
but for shipping a handgun their prices can't be beat. $10.95 anywhere in the country. gotta love it!

well, that is if you have an FFL. other folks still get raped by UPS for next day air or next day air saver.

slamfire51
01-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I noticed that yesterday while at the PO.
Since emails came about, USPS has lost a butt load of $$. The only time I send snail mail is to send a money order for something.

mriddick
01-21-2011, 08:42 AM
They really have a backwards system, they should just charge for the postage when you pick up (or have delivered) the boxes. I bet there's alot of waste with people taking 5 boxes and using 1...

Guns Network Staff
01-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I have returned to only using fed ex, UPS is too exspensive and too many hassles.
The post office has been filled with people who cannot do their job no matter how much more they demand we pay for their services.

Funny thing was, I saw that stupid ass commercial, and turned to my wife and remarked that prices will go up in 6mos to pay for all the airtime.

Another government institution that instead of propping up, we should burn to the ground.

ONE it is NOT a government run organization. They have to get government approval for anything like stamp increasements as the government is their oversight.

TWO it is run by NON-COLLEGE Grads... thus the reason that their management style is not worth a shit. The higher class of management has always been jealous of the rank and file who does have degrees so they make sure there is no educated employees moving up. Very sad indeed, as they do not want competition aka good of boys or now good ol girls club in some areas. Every Postal Inspector has a degreee as it is a requirement.

If you take out the retirement payout the organization would be in the black for the last 17 years.

slamfire51
01-21-2011, 09:00 AM
They really have a backwards system, they should just charge for the postage when you pick up (or have delivered) the boxes. I bet there's alot of waste with people taking 5 boxes and using 1...

Guilty.
I have forty of fifty varieties of Flat Rate boxes here at home.
I see no need to package up items while at the PO when the place is packed with people. This would work in a large PO but not mine. See below.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/postoffice001.jpg

mriddick
01-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Guilty.
I see no need to package up items while at the PO when the place is packed with people. This would work in a large PO but not mine. See below.

I'm not saying you would have to package the boxes at the PO, actually just the opposite as I would charge you for every box you want before hand. That way all you'd have to do is take the box home, package it up and then drop it off without ever standing in line. As an example if I wanted 10 $5 boxes I'd order and pay the $50 upfront, have the boxes delivered, fill them then just drop them off at the PO, make a large enough drop box and you could do it from your car.

Those 50 boxes you have at home cost probably 25-65 cents each, that's just lost money in inventory that might or might not ever make it's way back into the revenue stream. I once went to a garage sale and noticed the guy had about 150 PO boxes stacked against one wall full of stuff, when I mentioned it he told they were "free" so why not use them for storing stuff, of course the rub is nothing is "free".

slamfire51
01-21-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm not saying you would have to package the boxes at the PO, actually just the opposite as I would charge you for every box you want before hand. That way all you'd have to do is take the box home, package it up and then drop it off without ever standing in line. As an example if I wanted 10 $5 boxes I'd order and pay the $50 upfront, have the boxes delivered, fill them then just drop them off at the PO, make a large enough drop box and you could do it from your car.

Those 50 boxes you have at home cost probably 25-65 cents each, that's just lost money in inventory that might or might not ever make it's way back into the revenue stream. I once went to a garage sale and noticed the guy had about 150 PO boxes stacked against one wall full of stuff, when I mentioned it he told they were "free" so why not use them for storing stuff, of course the rub is nothing is "free".

I understand what you are saying.
Yes, there are people who abuse the free boxes and supplies of the PO. I have seen these boxes at flea markets and yard sales. I normally give those boxes a once over to see if they had indeed been used to ship merchandise. More than not, they were "virgin" boxes.
But for me, buying prepaid postage on a box that may sit here for a month is not practical, as selling parts is a hit and miss hobby.

I do see your point. Well taken, BTW.

El Jefe
01-21-2011, 11:06 AM
The Postal system is obsolete, but can you imagine the mayhem if it was announced that it was going to be shut down?

samiam
01-21-2011, 11:37 AM
The Postal system is obsolete, but can you imagine the mayhem if it was announced that it was going to be shut down?

There's that little problem called the Constitution, specifically Article I Section 8

Cypher
01-21-2011, 12:56 PM
The flat rates boxes are a rip off unless you are mailing something heavy.

I usually just use the plain shipping boxes instead.

slamfire51
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM

That's the reason I use them. I mail heavy stuff all the time.
For lighter stuff, I try to send it 1st class.

El Jefe
01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
There's that little problem called the Constitution, specifically Article I Section 8

I don't think your point makes any sense, sure it says they can establish post offices, it doesn't say they must.

samiam
01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't think your point makes any sense, sure it says they can establish post offices, it doesn't say they must.

If you were right I'd agree with you

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

El Jefe
01-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Where does it say the must provide the postal system? It says they have the power to, not that it's an absolute necessity demanded by law.

samiam
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
shall | sh al|
modal verb ( 3rd sing. present shall )
1 (in the first person) expressing the future tense : this time next week I shall be in Scotland | we shan't be gone long.
2 expressing a strong assertion or intention : they shall succeed | you shall not frighten me out of this.
3 expressing an instruction or command : you shall not steal.
4 used in questions indicating offers or suggestions : shall I send you the book? | shall we go?
ORIGIN Old English sceal, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zal and German soll, from a base meaning ‘owe.’
USAGE There is considerable confusion about when to use shall and will. The traditional rule in standard English is that shall is used with first person pronouns ( I and we) to form the future tense, while will is used with second and third persons ( you, he, she, it, they):: I shall be late; | she will not be there. When expressing a strong determination to do something, the traditional rule is that will is used with the first person, and shall with the second and third persons: | I will not tolerate this; | you shall go to school. In practice, however, shall and will are today used more or less interchangeably in statements (although not in questions). Given that the forms are frequently contracted ( we'll, she'll, etc.), there is often no need to make a choice between shall and will, another factor no doubt instrumental in weakening the distinction. In modern English, the interchangeable use of shall and will is an acceptable part of standard U.S. and British English.

El Jefe
01-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Okay, lets say they must provide it, amend it, kill it, it's worthless and does nothing but lose money. The Fed fucks up everything it touches and the postal system is a prime example.

samiam
01-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Jefferson, I agree the Post Office loses money as does most everything else the congress is mandated to do in section 8. Until congress wants to behave responsibly that's the way it is.

El Jefe
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Jefferson, I agree the Post Office loses money as does most everything else the congress is mandated to do in section 8. Until congress wants to behave responsibly that's the way it is.

I think it will always be that way, but, the postal system is something that can be done away with, the private sector does a much better job and there are mechanisms in place to pay bills ect that make it obsolete. We can no longer do things just because the Fed want to do them, if we don't balance the budget we die.

Schuetzenman
01-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Can't beat em for shipping brass cases or bullets.

ubersoldate
01-21-2011, 10:17 PM
I think it will always be that way, but, the postal system is something that can be done away with, the private sector does a much better job and there are mechanisms in place to pay bills ect that make it obsolete. We can no longer do things just because the Fed want to do them, if we don't balance the budget we die.

this.

recon
01-21-2011, 10:43 PM
ONE it is NOT a government run organization.
He is correct!

If you take out the retirement payout the organization would be in the black for the last 17 years.
Once again your correct!

Broondog
01-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Guilty.

damn, that's pretty small but i may have ya beat. if you took that Chevy 1500 and turned it sideways across the building it would just span my local post office.

Guns Network Staff
01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Okay, lets say they must provide it, amend it, kill it, it's worthless and does nothing but lose money. The Fed fucks up everything it touches and the postal system is a prime example.

The FED has nothing to do with USPS.

It is a PRIVATE corporation with federal oversight.

El Jefe
01-23-2011, 07:42 PM
The FED has nothing to do with USPS.

It is a PRIVATE corporation with federal oversight.

Then they won't mind watching it die a natural death.

Guns Network Staff
01-23-2011, 07:49 PM

There is already private contractors bidding on rural route contracts.

They have the most negative feedback of all mail carriers. Private sector has proven to be the biggest downfall and congress knows this as the congressional staffs in charge of reviewing postal standards know this. Last year was the private contractors worst year and it has not got any better.

If the city mail carriers were to ever move over to the rural mail carriers style of pay. Meaning go from hourly to annual salary. This in itself would save the USPS close to 390 million a year. The only folks who do not want this is the NALC Union for the city mail carriers. Meaning no more frigging overtime problems, rural carriers gets over time but not like the city carriers do and they take advatage of it every day for those who carrier mulitiple routes.

IF NALC gave a shit about the USPS, they would change there pay standards away from the hourly. Even the Office of Inspector General concurred that going to the way the rural carriers get paid would be a serious cost savings for the USPS.

Guns Network Staff
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Then they won't mind watching it die a natural death.

No it will not die, there will have to be some serious cut backs in retirement benefits. Again it is not the everyday business but the retirement benefits are to be honest way way oput there compared to the forune 500 folk. Keep in ind I have said already you take out the reitrement benefits the pay out every year to the retirees, the USPS is in the BLACK close to 500 MILLION. Next get rid of the superviosrs who have the most problems, which would mean 80% and then hire college educated people that are out there right now with 10 years business experience, WHO NEED A JOB. This way you will have REAL BUSINESS MANAGERS running the show.

I say this because the current crop of supervisors cost the post office some SERIOUS CASH each and every day. Get away from delivery every piece every day... meaning first class. I know of supervisors who DEMAND rural carrier to take out 1 piece of 1st class mail to it's home (house of recipient) even though it's 40+ miles from the post office and this is a second trip. The cost to deliver that piece (.44 stamped evelope) is around $30.00 and times this by 1,000 of these in one day around the country. This piece of mail should be put in the stack of mail to be delievered the next day.

Warthogg
01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I sent a LOT of packages in those flat rate boxes to Iraq and the Afghan.

Always tried to make sure there was at least one can of deviled HAM !! :big-fu:

slamfire51
01-24-2011, 01:45 PM
I sent a LOT of packages in those flat rate boxes to Iraq and the Afghan.

Always tried to make sure there was at least one can of deviled HAM !! :big-fu:

Good choice!!!! :clap: