PDA

View Full Version : Bought a little generator today...

O.S.O.K.
01-21-2011, 04:14 PM
This: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/gas-diesel-generators/champion-power-equipment-reg-3500-w-portable-gasoline-generator-4434023

They had it on sale at the local Tractor Supply for $279. After talking to the clerk (who has this and uses it to power the 5th wheel that he lives in) I decided that it would do as a minimum back-up for the homestead. I'm going to have the back power box wired so that I can plug this directly into it and then be able to run things in the back building and house simply by plugging in... the power there is linked to the house power...

It will handle the freezer in the garage and just about anything else we need such as tv, computers, lights... our water heater is a gas tankless heater - so only need to power the igniter and our stove is also gas.

Will not handle the A/C but would be able to handle the fridge if we didn't have anything else on. But I figure that we'd just use up the fridge items first and put anything that needed it, into the freezer...

It uses 8 gallons of gasoline per day running at 50% load. So that tells me that I need some more gas cans.

That was another reason to go minimal - the bigger the generator, the more you need to feed it.

I'm going to build a little box for it with a separated storage box along the side of the back building - the fuel storage will be designed to store 20, 5 gallon jugs - which would be enough for about 12 1/2 days of constant use.

I figure that I'll use the fuel stabalizer but also rotate the fuel from time to time by filling the wife's van from time to time and puting fresh gas in them.

The guy at check out recommended using only premium gas in the generator... which might be smart - but I'm not planning on using this much, so it probably will be fine with
regular...

coppertales
01-21-2011, 06:37 PM
last fall to take on my camping trip to the UP of MI. While we were there in October there was a big wind storm that knocked out the power out for 50 miles in all directions. I pulled the generator out of the pickup, fired it up and plugged the trailer in and we were fat cats for 4 days. We were parked at my brother in law's house so they were over alot. They heat with wood so they did not get cold but they ran an extension cord from the generator for lights. That was the best money I ever spent. That Champion generator starts on the third pull, one pull to prime, one pull full choke, and it lights off on the third pull at half choke. It is not the quietest but I have a 100 ft 12 gauge extension cord so we can move it away from the trailer. I think I paid the same at Home Depot....chris3

O.S.O.K.
01-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Ah, good to know. I thought about making a supressor, uh muffler for this - to quiet it down some - I would like it to be quiet enough so as to go unnoticed, but that may not be practical...? I suppose if I just had it in a strudy box that I could lock, it'd be OK...

Ha - went to their home page and found a pic:

http://championpowerequipment.com/img/l40010.jpg

Specifications

Engine 196 cc OHV CPE
EPA certified
Running Wattage 3500 Watts
Starting Wattage 4000 Watts
AC Load 120 V
Phase Single
Frequency 60 Hz
Fuel Capacity 4 gallons (15 L)
Weight 105.8 lbs. (48 kg)
Height 17.91 inches (45.5 cm)
Width 17.5 inches (44.5 cm)
Length 23.25 inches (59.0 cm)

Dang - 106 pounds - thought it was heavy...

The clerk at the store said that they make their own engines - using an "older briggs and stratton" design. Has some good features - if you overload it has a breaker to prevent damage. It has a low oil sensor too - to prevent damage to the engine.

I especially like being able to just plug it into a port that feeds the house electic grid - that is too cool for school - I didn't think you could do that.

Dieselbuilder
01-22-2011, 02:29 AM
I especially like being able to just plug it into a port that feeds the house electic grid - that is too cool for school - I didn't think you could do that.
By plugging it into a port... do you mean into a transfer switching unit? A generator used for backup power must have some sort of switch unit to seperate the power supplied by the generator from backfeeding the power lines and possibly endangering a utility worker that may be working on the power lines.

O.S.O.K.
01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
By plugging it into a port... do you mean into a transfer switching unit? A generator used for backup power must have some sort of switch unit to seperate the power supplied by the generator from backfeeding the power lines and possibly endangering a utility worker that may be working on the power lines.

Yes, and good thing to clarify! I will have a certified electrician handle installing this - yes, I think there are actually two switches involved - one that is already in place and another with the installation of the plug for the input from the generator - to shut-off the grid power and allow one-way flow from generator into the house grid.

cciota
01-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Yes, and good thing to clarify! I will have a certified electrician handle installing this - yes, I think there are actually two switches involved - one that is already in place and another with the installation of the plug for the input from the generator - to shut-off the grid power and allow one-way flow from generator into the house grid.

Thats what I had done. I had my electrician come over and install a 220 plug recepticle under my home main electrical breaker box along with a set of brakers to control power coming from the generator. He also made me a 25 foot cable to connect my generator to the installed plug. If power goes out, I first shut the main breakers from the outside electricty off. Then I shut off the breakers for the heavy load items in the house; heater, ac, range, etc. I plug the cable from the generator to the panel box, start up the generator, flip the generator breaker on and we have power. Works like a champ!

Skip
01-22-2011, 11:31 AM
This a first generation transfer switch for my 10KW generator. The generator is rolled out of the garage and a single plug is connected to power most of the house and well pump.

O.S.O.K.
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys - that's what I'm talking about - so, what did that set you guys back? I'd like to know before I call the electrician.

cciota
01-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys - that's what I'm talking about - so, what did that set you guys back? I'd like to know before I call the electrician.

My electrician charged me around 175 to 200 for brakers, making the cable, and installing the 220 plug. Labor and material. It's nice having power when the rest of the block is dark.

ubersoldate
01-22-2011, 12:10 PM
This a first generation transfer switch for my 10KW generator. The generator is rolled out of the garage and a single plug is connected to power most of the house and well pump.

Thats the way to do it there!

Im looking into generators alot lately after my last snow fall that knocked us out for a week.
Where I work I can get great deals as well.

My thing is propane though, I want to set mine up for propane instead of gas as Ive got tanks already in place.

El Jefe
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Im looking into generators alot lately after my last snow fall that knocked us out for a week.

My thing is propane though, I want to set mine up for propane instead of gas as Ive got tanks already in place.

A propane unit on average will outlive the lighter built gasoline units. Good plan.

Skip
01-22-2011, 01:59 PM
You really have to take the time to think through what is to be connected to a transfer switch. My 10KW setup:

220 on the well pump. Water is first priority for toilets,washing and cooking.
120 in the Family room, Kitchen, 2 bathrooms and four bedrooms.

I also use an extention cord off the generator to power the garage door openers and freezer.

El Laton Caliente
01-22-2011, 03:18 PM

A propane unit on average will outlive the lighter built gasoline units. Good plan.

Most inexpensive propane generators are converted gasoline units. They have two disadvantages; 1) they use more fuel per hour than gasoline 2) they don't hold up as well as diesel units.

The much more expensive converted diesel units are more reliable, much easier on fuel for the size, last longer in contenuous use. They are EXPENSIVE! But, if you can get fuel, they could run for years.

The great advantage though in using propane is you can easily store large or even HUGE ammounts and it stays stable. Gasoline and diesel both can go bad in storage and are attacked by microbes.

I've been toying with the idea of rebuilding a 3 or 4 cylinder Perkins diesel from a tractor or light construction equipment and convert it to propane. Then add just the generator and build my own enclosure.

Another option is to convert a diesel welding machine if you can pick one up cheap.

O.S.O.K.
01-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I saw a Hobart whole-house generator at the Tractor Supply that ran $1400. I am sure that those come in a propane model. It looked like a small industrial type generator. Very nice - that's what I'd really like to have and what I will have if I ever get moved to the country.

Ideally, I'd have a wind and/or hydro generator, solar panel array, battery store, propane tank and the whole house generator. The idea would be to be completely self contained and only use the propane when all else fails.

The house would be super-insulated and have all electric stuff. I would have a wood burning stove though in the kitchen - for back-up - heating and cooking.

The house would not be large - rather minimal and I'd have a larger pole barn to keep the tractor and such in.

Would have my own well of course and anarobic septic system.

All other services would come via sattelight, so there'd be no need for any utility hooks coming from off-property.

That's my dream home.

Well, OK, maybe add a guard tower and a 50 Barrett with infared cameras running the perimeter of the property too :D

ETA: and a secret, underground bunker complex :lool:

videodon
01-23-2011, 12:19 PM
I bought this one 2 years ago.
(Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt)
We were out of power for nearly a week and survived by huddling by our woodstove.
Everyone was out of generators and Home Depot finally got a shipment in.
I installed it and got our furnace running again, then the power came back on 1 hour later.
:)
...works great...just kinda loud...
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/videodon/Generator.jpg

El Laton Caliente
01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I saw a Hobart whole-house generator at the Tractor Supply that ran $1400. I am sure that those come in a propane model. It looked like a small industrial type generator. Very nice - that's what I'd really like to have and what I will have if I ever get moved to the country.

Ideally, I'd have a wind and/or hydro generator, solar panel array, battery store, propane tank and the whole house generator. The idea would be to be completely self contained and only use the propane when all else fails.

The house would be super-insulated and have all electric stuff. I would have a wood burning stove though in the kitchen - for back-up - heating and cooking.

The house would not be large - rather minimal and I'd have a larger pole barn to keep the tractor and such in.

Would have my own well of course and anarobic septic system.

All other services would come via sattelight, so there'd be no need for any utility hooks coming from off-property.

That's my dream home.

Well, OK, maybe add a guard tower and a 50 Barrett with infared cameras running the perimeter of the property too :D

ETA: and a secret, underground bunker complex :lool:

I've looked at Briggs & Straton, Onan, Guardian, Genrac and some others. I have an Onan propane coverted gasoline unit for the RV and a Champion portable gasoline unit for now.

I've also thought about a couple RV batteries and Harbor Freight Solar Charger (or 3) hooked to an LED security light system or even a whole house 12v lighting system like an RV.

coppertales
02-01-2011, 07:36 PM
at Harbor Freight. It is nice to have one of those stores right down the road. I am looking to buy 20, or more acres, on Terlingua ranch out in west Texas. I probably would be off the grid so I need to have my own power. I was out there last Dec and hope to return later this month. There are lots of lots for sale but you need to put your feet on them to scope them out. chris3

Infidelski
02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Most small engines suggest an oil change every 15-30 operating hours so check you manual and at least top off the oil every time fuel is added.

O.S.O.K.
02-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Telingua...

http://www.classiccountryland.com/land-for-sale/texas/terlingua-ranch.php

$6-$10,000 for 10 acres... hmmm - mountains - pretty. Way the hell out in the middle of nowhere Texas. If I buy some land there will you come over and play cards with me coppertails? :lool:

Jeeze!

I'm looking at land around Sam Houston national forest - east TX north of Houston a bit - not nearly as cheap as that but there's an airport an hour away...

HDR
02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Telingua...
$6-$10,000 for 10 acres... hmmm - mountains - pretty. Way the hell out in the middle of nowhere Texas. If I buy some land there will you come over and play cards with me coppertails? :lool:

I live in a remote difficult to access in bad weather place unless you have a 4WD or AWD with aggressive tires. So I'll promise the amount company you will get will shrink radically.
Some yuppies with a 2WD PU and a VW bug bought a house here for the views. The road did over $2K in damage to the VW's ground effects. She had a master's degree and any redneck's g/f, wife or daughter would have parked and walked. Another example of how the so-called academic elite lacks basic common sense.
:lool:

Btw, by knowing you from here I can warn you about the biggest problem you'll have when you live with rednecks. They'll like you and you'll get along with all of them. However, they are usually fighting and all the them will be friendly to you. (see the trap?) Although being safe in a free fire zone sounds OK; the problem will be as they don't speak to each other and all speak to you..

Yep you'll have to be the middleman if you want the road kept up.

:lool:

El Laton Caliente
02-05-2011, 10:11 AM
at Harbor Freight. It is nice to have one of those stores right down the road. I am looking to buy 20, or more acres, on Terlingua ranch out in west Texas. I probably would be off the grid so I need to have my own power. I was out there last Dec and hope to return later this month. There are lots of lots for sale but you need to put your feet on them to scope them out. chris3

Be careful buying out there... there are many areas you can drill 1500 feet plus and never hit water.

El Laton Caliente
02-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Telingua...

http://www.classiccountryland.com/land-for-sale/texas/terlingua-ranch.php

Jeeze!

I'm looking at land around Sam Houston national forest - east TX north of Houston a bit - not nearly as cheap as that but there's an airport an hour away...

Have you thought about further northeast? I'm in San Augustine County. Land is cheaper anround Jasper up through Center and you have the two biggest lakes in the state near by...