PDA

View Full Version : Did you know?

awp101
01-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Did you know that Axis Deer antler is hard to cut when all you have is a hacksaw? And no matter how good you think you are and no matter how hard you try, it's impossible to cut a straight line with said hacksaw? Especially when the antler has a curve to it? Even though you're holding it in a vice?

And did you know that when you sand it on a 1"x30" belt sander to to get the ends flat it stinks to no end? Even when you only held it there a few seconds at a time to keep it from burning?

Learn from the experience I just acquired...:lool:

O.S.O.K.
01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
If you can slow the sander down it will give you more control but it will still stink :)

What are you making scales for?

deth502
01-22-2011, 07:27 PM
mmmmm, i love that smell.

awp101
01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
What are you making scales for?
Several years ago, when the knife bug first bit, I picked up a couple of kits from Texas Knifemakers Supply. One was a small skinner that came with Dymondwood slabs for the scales.

Well, having no experience with making much of anything other than a mess, I dug around the internet and skimmed a couple of books to see how scales were shaped. And I managed to cut my slabs wrong anyway. They're too short.

I hit a knife forum and someone suggested using another color material either as a bolster or a spacer in the middle of the scales to lengthen them. I remembered I had a number of Axis Deer pieces in the 5"-6" range I picked up at Tulsa for dirt cheap and figured that would make a nice bolster.

Almost two years later, I'm finally getting around to it.:lool:

old Grump
01-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Dremel and file, not power sander or hacksaw. Just dos Centavos from a guy who also doesn't like that smell.