PDA

View Full Version : Mag fit problem

georgep
01-23-2011, 09:29 AM
On one of the guns some of the mags will not fit in at all. I am going to machine out the problem so they all fit. Is this normal??

Thank you

Schuetzenman
01-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Not enough information sparky.

What type of weapon, rifle or handgun? (I'm thinking you probably have a Wasr-10 or a CETME or other Century Arms HK variant as those are the only 3 weapons that ever had issues taking as stock military surplus magazine).

I was an 01 FFL from 1991 to 2005 and those weapons are the ones I had to tweak mag wells on many times for customers.

georgep
01-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Sorry, two Ak47 both WASR-10
One takes all mags including Tapco, The othe ronly likes the NEW 40 and the (2) 30's that came with it. No good on Tapco so just going to take the the dimensions out so that the others fit as well in both. We are talking a couple of hundreths max to clear.

Schuetzenman
01-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, the WAsr10 rifles come in as single stack rifles. Century opens em up to take double stack and all too frenquently gets some of them a bit tight. You have the right idea, mesure the width and length of the mag well opening on the one that works and try to duplicate it. One thing I would mention, often it's not so much the width but how small the radius is in the 4 corners. Some mags rub there but are ok on the straight parts, so check that out to make sure it's not the corners holding up mag insertion.

FunkyPertwee
01-24-2011, 01:04 AM
I've had a similar problem. On my AK, it was that the magazine catch was to long. I slowly removed material from the top with a dremel until my mags fit. Its important to remember that sometimes a surplus mag may be slightly out of spec, and needs to be modified itself instead of the gun. Its easier to check when you have a lot of mags to check it against though.

georgep
01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Well ON mag had to be worked over. The Ak was a simple matter of cleaning up the edges and rounding the corners. Thanks for the tips.

romak10/63UF
03-12-2011, 12:36 AM
On my wasr 10/63 uf the magazine well was open just a little to wide less than the size of two peaces of paper.. but i have that fixed now... It seems some of the craftmenship done my CAI were done by people who didnt care to perfect detail... sigh...But its ok ( this is my AK-47 now ) there are many like it but this ones mine an for all the " had to fix's i had to do to it now its really mine ! lmao

binky59
05-13-2011, 10:38 AM
I've had a similar problem. On my AK, it was that the magazine catch was to long. I slowly removed material from the top with a dremel until my mags fit. Its important to remember that sometimes a surplus mag may be slightly out of spec, and needs to be modified itself instead of the gun. Its easier to check when you have a lot of mags to check it against though.

Ah Yes...the Dremel...my buddy..That is the best tool in the box for an AK....I have 3 AK's all romys, all Century and even though I hand picked them I still had some issues. Century had a problem with some of their builds concerning mag wobble for a while, I guess they got tired of the bad press and started to tighten up the milling of the magwell. I guess bubba would check the tolerances, then insert the two mags that were going with the gun, if thay fit, it was good to go. When I purchased mags for the guns that I have, I bought them all at the same time, all from the same manufacturer. I bought east German ribbed steel mags NIB and then the process started.
30 mags, three guns, 90 possible fitting issues. I had issues with the sides of my mag wells being bowed in from 1-1/2mm to 2mm so the first thing I did was grind the mag wells enough so that they measured 1-1/2mm on each side, I then de-burred the mag wells smooth. This gave me one less variable, I then started to fit the mags to the receivers, all but 3 fit good, no wobble so I checked the three that didn't fit and ground the spots that were hitting so that they would fit. I've since gotten other mags and have no issues..

romak10/63UF
05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
But even if you have the wasr 10 or wasr 10-63 you still need to make sure that your magazines are secure into the rifle... I went with JB welding in two peaces of sheet metal for a secure 100% fix ! Hear is the link that could help out the magazine wobble..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLyEijgVp7o

Signman01
10-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm running the Tapco mags in my AK. Some of them fit very snug and some would not fit at all. I put a sanding disk on my grinder and snaded the edges of all of the mags. The composite material is very easy to work with.

Goo Luck!