PDA

View Full Version : East German/DDR MPI-KM Build (First Build...)

acarpenter
01-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Hey guys!
New here and would like opinions on these kits, and also as to if I am headed in the right direction.

Has anyone attempted a build with one of the kits from Apex? Post your pics ;-)
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/1325

I know that Germany typically makes good stuff (even though these are DDR).
What I would like to know is, what would be the best/most cost effective model receiver for a build, and which barrel would be the most correct and affordable?

I really like the look of this model over something like the WASR-10, which is cool, but a little thrown together IMO.
I have heard of a couple guys that do group builds in Houston area, so I think that if they would be gracious enough to let me join I could get this done without having to buy any tools.

Anyone want to chime in and let me know if I am forgetting anything here?

(1) Matching Parts kit from Apex @ $275, so prob $300 Shipped.
(1) Receiver either ERTD or Nodak, or W.A.Co. around $85
(1) Barrel, prob around $110

Would I be underestimating to say that I could probably do it (with local help/tools) for about $500?

I haven't really figured in a finish because if I understand correctly, the receivers I am looking at come finished? (I'm not sure about barrels...)
Is it possible for me to just blue the rivets somehow so I don't have to refinish the whole complete rifle?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, and tell me if this would be a cost effective way to get a sweet German AK?

Tx Dogblaster
01-26-2011, 08:25 AM
First, welcome to the forum!

We haven't had a build party in Houston in almost 2 years. The main problem is finding a place to have one I think. I think with the parts that you have listed, you'll be looking at closer to $600 after you take compliance parts into consideration. There is a guy I know from another forum down in Lake Jackson that makes beautiful fully heat treated receivers with the proper engraving for different contries/models of AKM's.

Scootertrash
01-26-2011, 09:45 AM
There is a guy I know from another forum down in Lake Jackson that makes beautiful fully heat treated receivers with the proper engraving for different contries/models of AKM's.

Got any contact info for this gentleman?

Thanks~!
Scooter

acarpenter
01-26-2011, 10:18 AM
"We haven't had a build party in Houston in almost 2 years. The main problem is finding a place to have one I think."
-that's sad news. I guess nobody wants to deal with/teach newbies and freeloaders

"There is a guy I know from another forum down in Lake Jackson that makes beautiful fully heat treated receivers with the proper engraving for different contries/models of AKM's."
I'm not sure how unique the DDR receivers are, but that sounds awesome!
Any idea how much he typically charges?

Another thought that crossed my mind is the possibilty of buying a cheaper, already assembled AK and a set of the German furniture. Would it fit? I'd rather have the real deal, but if there aren't any builds going on that may be an option, and I guess it'd be a bit cheaper maybe.

FunkyPertwee
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
$600 in parts for a home build is crazy. Our hobby had been all but destroyed.

acarpenter
01-26-2011, 03:01 PM
I agree. You should be able to SAVE money when having to do the hard work yourself!
I'm sad I missed the boat for the cheap builds.

acarpenter
01-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Like I said, I'd rather have the real deal, but would the East German furniture fit on one of these WASRs with the polymer stock?
I don't like that polymer much, but think it would look very unique with the DDR stuff. And only $349! They call it the "military variation".
I've ordered here smoothly before.
WASR halfway down the page (http://classicarms.us/)

Tx Dogblaster
01-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Got any contact info for this gentleman?

Thanks~!
Scooter

Let me see if I can find his email addy. I usually just PM him on the other board. I "may" have his phone number as well. I'll let you guys know what I find out...

FunkyPertwee
01-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Like I said, I'd rather have the real deal, but would the East German furniture fit on one of these WASRs with the polymer stock?
I don't like that polymer much, but think it would look very unique with the DDR stuff. And only $349! They call it the "military variation".
I've ordered here smoothly before.
WASR halfway down the page (http://classicarms.us/)

Classic Arms is great but they may be sold out. They just had a management change and the website doesn't match up with their shopping cart system, so I would call to order.

Tx Dogblaster
01-26-2011, 10:02 PM
$600 in parts for a home build is crazy. Our hobby had been all but destroyed.

It's a kick right in the nads for sure...

I agree. You should be able to SAVE money when having to do the hard work yourself!
I'm sad I missed the boat for the cheap builds.

I agree but at the same time who's offering a "commercially" built EG for $550 or so that you'll have in this and the satisfaction of building one yourself while you still can.

acarpenter
01-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Ya, you are right. I guess it will be something I can be proud of. Better than any "store bought" gun ;-)
I am going to order one tomorrow!

robert
02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I might be wrong but those look like the german 22 trainer kits if so and you are building it in 762/39 centerfire has 9.95 yugo barrels just turn down. any thing is possible ive took vz58 barrels welded a sleeve in romy trunions reheadspaced and pinned. cut off origenal sight welded on vz sight to alighn with front cut down piston on carrier used vz folding stock on alluminum block and and modified vz forearms.anything is possible.