PDA

View Full Version : Most Accurate AK Version?

35 Whelen
01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
I know this question has proabably 1000's of times, but humor me...

I want a rifle to keep around the house for you know...trouble I guess. I have a couple of Yugo SKS's that I got for this purpose. I bedded them and even installed a peep sight on one. With modern commercial ammo, they'll hold 10 shots in about 3" @ 100 yds. fairly easily; with my handloads, maybe a bit better. Problem is, I want a smaller, easier handling rifle. The Yugo's are damn near as big as my Garand and not nearly as accurate or powerful. Enter the AK....
Is there one AK variant that is more accurate than others?
Thanks!
35W

imanaknut
01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I have a Norinco 84S-1 that can pick off shotgun hulls from 50 yards. Had a friend with me who didn't believe what he saw me doing, so I handed it to him and he couldn't believe the accuracy of that beauty! Yep, .223 from an AK can make for one very accurate rifle. Oh, and that was with the iron sights that so many people hate!!!

You really have to understand how Mr. Kalashnikov designed the weapon and to what standards. His intent was for a weapon that could take a ton of abuse and still shoot an 8 inch group at 150 yards. When you think about the intended target, 8 inches at 150 yards will do the job just fine. Not a tack driver, but one that will put it in a consistant circle.

35 Whelen
01-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I have a Norinco 84S-1 that can pick off shotgun hulls from 50 yards. Had a friend with me who didn't believe what he saw me doing, so I handed it to him and he couldn't believe the accuracy of that beauty! Yep, .223 from an AK can make for one very accurate rifle. Oh, and that was with the iron sights that so many people hate!!!

You really have to understand how Mr. Kalashnikov designed the weapon and to what standards. His intent was for a weapon that could take a ton of abuse and still shoot an 8 inch group at 150 yards. When you think about the intended target, 8 inches at 150 yards will do the job just fine. Not a tack driver, but one that will put it in a consistant circle..

Thanks for the welcome AND the response.

I probably should have been more clear in my original post. If I get an AK, it'll have to be a 7.62x39. I've been a hunter all my life and firmly believe that bigger bullets=bigger holes=more damage.
I am pretty particular about the accuracy of my rifles. I shoot High Power competition and am quite familiar with the accuracy capabilities of most rifles.

I've read elsewhere that the AK's were designed to shoot, as you said, 8" at 150 yds. So maybe this is about as good as it gets? Are there any ways to improve their accuracy other than lengthening the really short sight radius?
thanks!
35W

Schuetzenman
01-27-2011, 08:51 PM
It's like this any 7.63x39 AK is likely to be a 4 MOA weaon. I've had a couple that would do 2 MOA average but they had to be Cryo treated to do that. Another thing I've noticed is they are more accurate when using either a red dot sight or scope. A scope might be easy to explain but why would a red dot be significatly better than irons. I found out the rear sights are bouncing around shot to shot. You don't notice it, but it is happening.

The advise given about .223 AK's being most accurate is very true in my experience. I sold all my 7.62 guns and have but one AKM in my collection and that is a SAR-3 Romanian built rifle chambered in .223 / 5.56. This round if US made is a much higher quality round than the Russian import 7.62x39 ammo. Bullets are better in quality, uniformity of size and weight. 7.62x39 bullets often very up to 10 grains and are often oval in shape, not really round. Powder charges often very widely in Russian ammo. Even their .223 is crap by contrast to US made ammo. Silverbear .223 from Barnul arsenal is the best IMO having shot them all at one time or another.

If I was looking to get another AK I would look at a SAIGA in .223 and then unsanitize it and make it look like a real ak with a pistol grip. Or if I wanted to really toss some money at it, I'd get one of the Bulgarian .223 AKM types that are for sale.

If you wanted the cheapest to shoot AKM these days a 5.45x39 chambered AK74 type would be the ticket. Ammo is around 11 or 12 cents a shot, but it is corrosive milsurp ammo. Lastly welcome to Gunsnet.net

68rs327
06-06-2011, 02:57 PM
My Milled MAK90 is pretty damn accurate. Smooth trigger, no comparison to a wasr or any other ak I have ever had.

WB!
06-06-2011, 03:23 PM
The milled Bulgarians are good shooters. I have an SA-93 (7.62X39), that I can hit better with, then my Winchester 94 (30-30). A friend had a 1951 Russian SKS, that shot about the same as my SA-93. I feel that the milled receiver will generally help it shoot straighter. The longer barrels (20") of the RPKs are supposed to be good. A milled receiver RPK should help hit the bullseye.

68rs327
06-08-2011, 09:46 PM
If I had to choose one for accuracy it would be a Chinese NHM91. Longer Heavier Barrel and precision built with the nicest triggers. Add a Scope and I think you could light matches with it.

romak10/63UF
06-08-2011, 11:42 PM
My Milled MAK90 is pretty damn accurate. Smooth trigger, no comparison to a wasr or any other ak I have ever had.

I have to 100% agree with 68rs327 my milled mac-90 was the best shooter right on target kick ass out to 200 yards no problem...

Dr. Gonzo GED
06-09-2011, 01:13 AM
I know this question has proabably 1000's of times, but humor me...

I want a rifle to keep around the house for you know...trouble I guess. I have a couple of Yugo SKS's that I got for this purpose. I bedded them and even installed a peep sight on one. With modern commercial ammo, they'll hold 10 shots in about 3" @ 100 yds. fairly easily; with my handloads, maybe a bit better. Problem is, I want a smaller, easier handling rifle. The Yugo's are damn near as big as my Garand and not nearly as accurate or powerful. Enter the AK....
Is there one AK variant that is more accurate than others?
Thanks!
35W
Saiga .308, or PSL would be the easiest to find these days.

Dragunov or Super VEPR for not so easy to find.

Bulgy, Valmet, or Galil for classic chamberings and sizes.