PDA

View Full Version : ? for guitar players

whiskeyman
01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
What's the worst guitar you have ever owned?

ubersoldate
01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
There are too many to name!

Guess Ive been lucky over the last 20 years or so, and figured out how to pick a guitar that plays and sounds nice when Im buying...

swampdragon
01-28-2011, 01:33 PM
A really cheap no-name acoustic a neighbor brought back from Tijuana and gave me as a present when I was about 8.

Zygomatic
01-28-2011, 04:15 PM
I'll skip all the obvious Kays, and Globals, and First Acts (which make great stage sacrifices) and get right to it. I once bought a brand new Gibson MVX Victory, candy apple red. Technically it was supposedly an awesome guitar, but I just never could warm up to it. If you are familiar with that guitar, it was Gibson trying to get in on the popularity of strat type guitars in the 80s. It just sucked. Too heavy. Poor tone. Nice action, but the neck was too wide for me. I should have got an SG or something. Struggled with if for a couple of years and then found a beat up 1960s Gibson Melody Maker that some one had installed Gibson humbuckers in. Picked that up and all my problems were solved.

You can get some cheepo guitars that play really nice these days. I have a couple of Daisy Rock girl guitars that I love. Also I have an old Studio 10 Chinese copy of a Gibson Explorer and that thing kicks ass.

Integratedj
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
A BC Rich Warlock

A Fender Squire Strat that they put the frets in at a real slight angle (They didn't go straight acoss the neck)

An Epiphone Classical that had serious intonation problems

Every ESP Bass I tried

1 ESP guitar that the neck wasn't set properly and was cocked at a weird angle (Sent direct from ESP, I never had a chance to inspect it first)

deth502
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
dean

Solidus-snake
01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
eh, I have a BC Rich walock, its mediocre but I wouldnt say it sucks.

My bro has a Kay, its not too bad either really..

My current axe is a Epiphone SG cherry red. I am really diggin it. Next ive got my eyes on a Schecter Damien 6.

Maybe I can just get the sweet sounds out on em where yous boys cant? :cool1:

Kidding, im still just a beginner. Just about finished learning Hallowed Be Thy Name by Maiden. Just gotta get the solo done.

Tiredofit
01-28-2011, 06:26 PM
A base model Ibanez Satriani. Man talk about a nightmare! Could NEVER get rid of the fret buzz no matter how I adjusted the neck or tried string combinations. Even the guitar techs at guitar center couldn't figure it out. I always love Ibanez but that was my last Electric Ibanez. Now my Ibanez Artwood acoustic just sings!

I currently own a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 with the Floyd rose. Talk about quality!

Solidus-snake
01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
A base model Ibanez Satriani. Man talk about a nightmare! Could NEVER get rid of the fret buzz no matter how I adjusted the neck or tried string combinations. Even the guitar techs at guitar center couldn't figure it out. I always love Ibanez but that was my last Electric Ibanez. Now my Ibanez Artwood acoustic just sings!

I currently own a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 with the Floyd rose. Talk about quality!

You like your schecter pretty good?

Tiredofit
01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Love it. Has dual EMG's with push pul pots so I can change the sound to a single coil strat sound or keep it metal style!

whiskeyman
01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
The reason I asked this question. I bought a Strat 2 weeks ago. Sold it today. It had a great shape to the neck and sounded sweet. Did not like anything else about it.

DeadPool
01-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Fender anything sucks. I have a black epiphone sg I like very much and a Damien 6. The schecter has a thick neck but it also has a thick metal tone. Put some Emg's in whatever you buy and get either a mesa boogie or a Randal amp.

Solidus-snake
01-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Fender anything sucks. I have a black epiphone sg I like very much and a Damien 6. The schecter has a thick neck but it also has a thick metal tone. Put some Emg's in whatever you buy and get either a mesa boogie or a Randal amp.

The damien comes stand!rd with emgs right?

DeadPool
01-29-2011, 04:50 AM
The damien comes stand!rd with emgs right?

Hell no. Mines old but I'm gonna assume the new ones dont either. Maybe now a days they come with the Emg-hz's but those aint real emg's. I cant comment on how those sound cuz I've never heard them.

whiskeyman
01-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Blackface Fender amp. Totaly Rocks. Strat was a POS!!!! However my P bass is great.

DeadPool
01-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Blackface Fender amp. Totaly Rocks. Strat was a POS!!!! However my P bass is great.

Yea the amps are pretty sweet, I used to have a Twin amp, I sold it to my dad cuz he loves fender shit. I got a mesa after that. Now those fuckers totally rock. Ive always wanted a Randall cuz Dimebag (god rest his soul) had the fuckin fattest tone ever. Well him and Tommy Victor (prong)

deth502
01-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Yea the amps are pretty sweet, I used to have a Twin amp, I sold it to my dad cuz he loves fender shit. I got a mesa after that. Now those fuckers totally rock. Ive always wanted a Randall cuz Dimebag (god rest his soul) had the fuckin fattest tone ever. Well him and Tommy Victor (prong)

got a mesa cheap a efw years back, didnt like it, sold it for a few $$ more than i paid. still have my old fender red-knob era m-80 that i got when i was a teenager. wont get rid of that one. love the tone, and its not too big to be able to get a good tone without disturbing the neighbors too much.

ubersoldate
01-29-2011, 02:55 PM

I have a fender american standard strat, in shoreline gold, that is an amazing player, I mean really built the way a guitar should be.
And over the last 5k worth of fenders Ive owned in the last ten years, not one of them were a dog...

Now the made in mexico strats, well, thats a different story, its as if you have to search to find a bad American made, you have to double search to find a decent mexican made..

DeadPool
01-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I have a fender american standard strat, in shoreline gold, that is an amazing player, I mean really built the way a guitar should be.
And over the last 5k worth of fenders Ive owned in the last ten years, not one of them were a dog...

Now the made in mexico strats, well, thats a different story, its as if you have to search to find a bad American made, you have to double search to find a decent mexican made..

Its the tone I dont care for. My dad has an American tele, strat and a SRV model. They all play nice, real nice but its not the tone I'm looking for. I'm into the Pantera/Prong tone that I cant get.

Dr. Gonzo GED
01-29-2011, 09:23 PM
The "worst one I've owned" was a 1980's era Kay electric, which I resurrected from the grave when I was a teenager. (Apparently Bubba also breaks instruments when he's not raping firearms history...) It honestly wasn't THAT bad. It could be played without injury.

The list of guitars I've played which can;t boast that would include:

Hondo: Poor quality parts and craftsmanship. Not set up right. Sounds like shit, bad action may hurt you.

First Act: Poor quality parts and craftsmanship. Not set up right. Sounds like shit, bad action may hurt you.

Squire: Poor quality parts and craftsmanship. Not set up right. Sounds like shit, bad action may hurt you. I will add the caveat that there are exceptions to these trends in the Squire world, but you'll have to test drive many to find one.

Jackson (modern): Poor quality parts and craftsmanship. Not set up right. Sounds like shit, bad action may hurt you.

B.C. Rich (modern): Poor quality parts and craftsmanship. Not set up right. Sounds like shit, bad action may hurt you.

Shitty guitars that have a touch of cred:

Kay: Old ones. A few steps up from a toy. Collectible for unique trashy sound.

Silvertone: Same deal.

Awesome guitars in the same price range as every piece of shit on this list:

Ibanez: Excellent parts and craftsmanship. Their $160 Strat copy is a better instrument than most of the $700 Fenders "hecho en Mehico". (steer clear of cheap "floating bridges" though, even Ibanez can't make a cheap one for a damn...) Anyways, take $150 to your local pawn shop. Pick your favorite Ibanez off the rack. Take it home.

Rock!

ubersoldate
01-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Its the tone I dont care for. My dad has an American tele, strat and a SRV model. They all play nice, real nice but its not the tone I'm looking for. I'm into the Pantera/Prong tone that I cant get.

Yup different tools for different jobs.
There are some things that can make strats heavy sounding, but in the end you are making an American guitar sound like a schector or ibanez...