PDA

View Full Version : AR 18 not running in FA

Notch
01-29-2011, 08:06 PM
I took the AR18 out for the first time in about 6 months.
Clean and lubed

I got a 20 round mag out in FA with one fail to fire.

Then several 20 round mags that had multiple fail to fires.

After that the armalite failed to fire in FA. It would pop off one round then FTF.

Several types of mags, same problem.

All cartridges (that FTFed) had light primer strikes.

The firearm functioned fine in SA.

xm193
about 25 degrees outside

for a cycle test, i cocked the firearm (in FA) and pulled and held the trigger, the hammer dropped. While holding the trigger down i then cycled the bolt and the hammer did stay cocked until the bolt was back into its closed position... Dont know if this proves anything, but I thought it may indicate the sear is working properly...

Thanks guys. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Schuetzenman
01-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Hum, what sort of lube if any on the firing pin? I've seen surplus bolt guns that the owner never cleaned out the bolt not fire at times, especially when the weather first turns cold on them. Worked in the summer when it was hot, but started having click with no bang in cold weather.

Notch
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
miltec... i may "bite the bullet" and go pay 40 bucks for some indoor time over at Bill's Gun Range... Dont like pay'n to shoot when I already belong to a club (especialy when they nick ya for double on the lane if'n you are shoot'n yur Auto) but it will be worth it to see if (i say very hopefully) if it is cold weather induced!

Notch
02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Found the culprit! Took the bbolt group apart and when i removed the bolt/fireing pin from the carrier a single loop of the firing pin spring fell out. At first i thought it was a little lockring or washer and i couldnt for the life of me figure out where it whent... Then i realized it was just a single "loop" of spring and matched the two ends up perfectly... Enough spring to keep up in semi, but not enough for FA...

So... is a firing pin spring for an AR18 the same as an AR180?

1 Patriot-of-many
02-11-2011, 10:02 AM
You in Minneapolis? There's a Bills that I go to occasionally in Robbinsdale and Circle pines.....I happen to own an AR18 too.... Small world if you're in MN too...
I can check on Sunday to see if an 180,AR180B spring is the same.

I'm gonna guess they are.

If you're in MN, there's a range in Princeton(outdoor) he charges $175 a year.