PDA

View Full Version : Beer.

Lysander
01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
I've been on a Russian Imperial Stout kick of late and just picked up this Akron Brewery RIS:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TYKBbdfqx70/SDYg82s4K4I/AAAAAAAAABQ/m4PBmKMpOw4/s320/Thirsty+Dog+Siberian+Night.JPG

Pretty darn good. I think I'm going to go clean an AK, throw on "The Battleship Potemkin", and hop into a T-34 on "World of Tanks" now.

El Jefe
01-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Sounds damned good to me!

I've been thinking about beer a bit here of late, in fact I recently bought a copy of John J. Palmer's book How to Brew, and intend to give it a shot soon.:naughty:

mriddick
01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Is that made in Akron Ohio?

Lysander
01-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Is that made in Akron Ohio?

Why yes, yes it is.

I will tell you this, so far I'm a big fan of Thirsty Dog Brewing Company and Columus Brewing Company. I kind of feel that the Cleveland Brewing Company is overrated.

Jefferson,

Brewing is hella fun. I'm about to start up two batches in Mid-February in order to get them ready for a big spring barbecue. The damnyankees here think that throwing some burgers on a grill is a "barbecue". I'm going to have to educate these benighted heathens.

mriddick
01-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Why yes, yes it is.

I will tell you this, so far I'm a big fan of Thirsty Dog Brewing Company and Columus Brewing Company. I kind of feel that the Cleveland Brewing Company is overrated.

Jefferson,

Brewing is hella fun. I'm about to start up two batches in Mid-February in order to get them ready for a big spring barbecue. The damnyankees here think that throwing some burgers on a grill is a "barbecue". I'm going to have to educate these benighted heathens.

Can you even get BBQ (real) in Columbus?

El Jefe
01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't think BBQ actually exists north of Kansas City. ;)

Lysander
01-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Can you even get BBQ (real) in Columbus?

So far, no.

I'm told that there's a "Barbecue Trailer" in Clintonville that opens during the spring. I might have to investigate it. I tried City Barbecue hoping that it might be decent. I walked in and saw them grilling the ribs. It only went downhill from there.

mriddick
01-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't think BBQ actually exists north of Kansas City. ;)

In my travels KC pretty much sums up what I think BBQ is, truthfully I find southern BBQ is highly over rated.

Lysander
01-30-2011, 02:34 PM
In my travels KC pretty much sums up what I think BBQ is, truthfully I find southern BBQ is highly over rated.

Blasphemy!

Ever been to a pig roast? That's real barbecue!

El Jefe
01-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Yep, give me a plate of burnt short ends from Gates and I'm set. Hi! May I hep you? :rotflmbao:

mriddick
01-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Blasphemy!

Ever been to a pig roast? That's real barbecue!
Sorry I think its the sweet tooth I have.... :)

samiam
01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I think one of you is talking about sauces and the other about cooking technique and both are correct, the southern thin vinegar sauces and even worse the carolina mustard based sauces really suck if you've developed a taste for the KC style sauces, at the same time burying the pig in the ground on a deep bed of coals and digging it up tomorrow afternoon when all you have to do is pull the bones out of the meat is some mighty fine eating

El Jefe
01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Personally I prefer meat done with a good dry rub so it doesn't need sauce. A good rack of ribs or a brisket is better sauce-less IMO. But, to each their own.

Lysander
01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Personally I prefer meat done with a good dry rub so it doesn't need sauce. A good rack of ribs or a brisket is better sauce-less IMO. But, to each their own.

I do both depending on my mood. Granted, I grew up on pig roasts and vinegar sauces, but I've never been one to drown the meat in it either.

El Jefe
01-30-2011, 04:17 PM
I do both depending on my mood. Granted, I grew up on pig roasts and vinegar sauces, but I've never been one to drown the meat in it either.

See, in this part of the country, a whole hog roast is considered just that, a pig roast. We wouldn't call it BBQ unless you smoked it.

You see what I'm saying? :)

Normally BBQ would be a shoulder, ribs, brisket, whatever, not the whole animal.

mriddick
01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
There's a real smoke house BBQ place in Marion about 40 miles north of Columbus, it's about the only one I know of till you hit Cinci. I don't know how it would rate for an expert but it's done pretty good by me for a fix on a cold winters day :)

Lysander
01-30-2011, 04:40 PM
There's a real smoke house BBQ place in Marion about 40 miles north of Columbus, it's about the only one I know of till you hit Cinci. I don't know how it would rate for an expert but it's done pretty good by me for a fix on a cold winters day :)

Marion is half way to the baby momma's parents' place. Hmm...what's the name of it?

mriddick
01-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Conways where Rt 95 and 23 meet.

Lysander
01-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Conways where Rt 95 and 23 meet.

30 minutes from the office!

Hmmm...

mriddick
01-30-2011, 05:01 PM
30 minutes from the office!

Hmmm...

Let know, I'll buy you lunch sometime :)

Lysander
01-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Let know, I'll buy you lunch sometime :)

After April 15

Full Otto
01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Since we've strayed a bit I've recently discovered a good place for BBQ.
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/2250/south-street-smokehouse

I've been visiting my daughter at school and we've been there a couple of times.
For you southern boys I just discovered the Carolina-style sandwiches. Is that how you guys do it? I have to get used to it so far I've scrapped off the cole slaw and ate it seperate. It's so thick I'll have to wait till my moustache is off to bite into it whole

rahatlakhoom
01-30-2011, 07:53 PM
One of my occasional favorites.
This will turn you into a werewolf.
I haven't seen the Akron brew around my area.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/irs.png

Lysander
02-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Prost!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/167514_193026140725267_100000536468028_633220_2126 070_n.jpg

old Grump
02-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't think BBQ actually exists north of Kansas City. ;):frech11:
Much as I hate Madison and Milwaukee Wisconsin I can take you to a few good food places in both cites with decent BBQ. Same with Chicago and I don't ever want to have to go back down there but I'd kill for a take out from Barry's Ribs or any of a half dozen places in Chicago depending on which kind of BBQ you have a hankering for. :smiley31:

That being said my two favorite places were in St. Louis and Kansas City. I suppose after 30+ years they are history now. Either way the best beer to go with them was a good stout. Wish I was 45 years younger so I could do it all again.

JAMC
02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I've never tasted a passable Russian beer to this date.

Best I've tried from that region was something called Viru, which I think was Estonian and came in a very distinctively shaped, angular bottle.

The Belgians, now there's some brewing skill.

POF-USA
02-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Beer is the world's most widely consumed and probably the oldest of alcoholic beverages; it is the third most popular drink overall.

rahatlakhoom
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
I've never tasted a passable Russian beer to this date.

Best I've tried from that region was something called Viru, which I think was Estonian and came in a very distinctively shaped, angular bottle.

The Belgians, now there's some brewing skill.

Hah, hah...hah.
Russian Ale is not mean to be passable.
Think of it as Stalin's secret police blowing out your brain cells.
Ditto on the Belgium brew.

jt1793
02-11-2011, 12:57 AM
my favorite russian beers

http://eng.baltika.ru/i/brand/14.jpg

http://eng.baltika.ru/i/brand/16.jpg

cheers! :lets-drink: