PDA

View Full Version : Completed another small task in the ongoing preps... with a little help

O.S.O.K.
01-30-2011, 03:19 PM
I finally found a source for the waterpipe that I needed to complete the stuff needed to install a driven point well. And it was at Home Depot of all places. I looked everywhere - plumbing supply places, etc. and nobody had it - but home despot did - so, kudos to them.

And not only that, but there was an old guy there (love the old guys) that had personal experience in driving wells and gave me lots of tips - like make dam sure that the couplings are tight when you're driving (otherwise you can break the pipe or coupling), keep it straight or you can break it, etc.

I told him I was looking for 1 1/2" water pipe but he looks at my coupling that I brought and sais - no, you need 1 1/4" if that's your coupling... you go by the inside diameter... "oh" I sez. :) He tells me I'm not a plumber and I tell you "your right - just a guy that thinks he can do everything himself" and he chuckles.

He asked me what kind of soil I was driving into and I told him I had researched the area and that it was clay and that the water level was between 20 and 25 foot down depending on your elevation (and he smiled) - I think he intended to quiz me and then tell me to find out this stuff, so he was pleased that I knew this. He then proceeded to tell me that I would drive the pipe down and then when I was just above the water, I would hit a real hard spot - the "hard pan". This, he explained to me was what kept the water "down" and that once you drove through this and it eased up, you were in water - and then told me about the string and weight check (you drop this down after waiting a couple hours and check for water. He tells me that you want to be about 4' down into the water - but don't go through! If you do, you're screwed :lool:

He tells me a story about a time when he drove a point (manually) into some rock and then tried to pull the pipe up - with a tow truck - and bent (!) the boom on the tow truck!

Like I said, I love old guys.

Screw google, from now on, I'm going to home depot and look for an old guy :D

Anyway, I now have 24' of 1 1/4" galvanized water pipe at $32/ea. and some teflon goo that you put on the couplings - to go with the point and driving cap that I already had.

I'm going to use a fence post driver (old guy approved! ;) ) to pound in down. He told me I should get a "keg of beer" and invite my friends over and we could take turns... his way of telling me it would take some time :D

deth502
01-30-2011, 03:25 PM
ive been doing construction work all my life. i know more that 99% of the morons at lowes or home depot, and thats being generous.

i HATE having to try to describe something to some idiot that has no idea what hes doing just to try to find something i cant locate.

its great when you actually find someone who knows whats going on. thats a rare thing anymore in the big box hardware stores. good find on that one :thumbsup: