PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Machine Poseidon/Springfield XD(m) combo: cycling problems

nfa1934
01-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Went to the range again today with the Poseidon on the XD(m). It would not cycle at all.

Last time it ran fine with Cor-Bon 147 gr. At the end of the day, I switched to American Eagle 147 gr and it started to have cycling problems.

Today I was back to Cor-Bon 147 gr, and it would not cycle at all. Had to manually cycle the slide for every shot.

Aside from that, had a good day at the range with a friend recently back from Iraq. The suppressed .45 ran fine. The girl in the next lane was obviously irritated with my LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag. The suppressed M11/9 SMG ran fine and drew a little attention.

RCS
02-20-2011, 09:11 AM
From what I hear, this is a problem that spouts up in some subcompact XDs. I would really like to hear comfirmation on that before I suppress mine.

nfa1934
02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Taking it back to the range tomorrow. Will see how much suppression it has without wipes (waiting for the neoprene I ordered, so no wipes this time). Mostly just interested in seeing if it cycles.

Thinking about buying a .45 Poseidon now that they are available.

nfa1934
02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Taking it back to the range tomorrow. Will see how much suppression it has without wipes (waiting for the neoprene I ordered, so no wipes this time). Mostly just interested in seeing if it cycles.

Thinking about buying a .45 Poseidon now that they are available.

Still won't cycle. Tried 125gr American Eagle today.

It ran beautifully the first time at the range. Maybe if I cut some new wipes and try again.

FunkyPertwee
02-21-2011, 01:20 PM
That is a shame to hear. I thought your pistol and suppressor combo looked like a good match.

nfa1934
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
That is a shame to hear. I thought your pistol and suppressor combo looked like a good match.

Re-thinking the Poseidon .45. I don't think I'm going to buy another pistol suppressor without a booster. Now planning to save up for an Osprey.

RCS
02-27-2011, 08:48 AM
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=36647

Second post explains it pretty well.

nfa1934
02-27-2011, 11:08 AM
So my XD(m) isn't a good candidate for suppression. I suppose then, that the Poseidon .45 should work just fine on a full-size Sig 220.

Going to try to replicate the good results from the first time with the XD(m) one more time before looking for a more suitable host. Can't get over how it cycled just fine at the first range session.

RCS
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
So my XD(m) isn't a good candidate for suppression. I suppose then, that the Poseidon .45 should work just fine on a full-size Sig 220.

Going to try to replicate the good results from the first time with the XD(m) one more time before looking for a more suitable host. Can't get over how it cycled just fine at the first range session.

Yeah, according to the mechanics of it, the weapon shouldn't have cycled at all. Your Sig should be fine.

FunkyPertwee
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I wonder if a XDM4.5 would work better than the 3.8. Or an XD tactical.

nfa1934
03-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Finally figured it out. This pistol will not cycle without fresh wipes in the Poseidon.

I installed new front and rear wipes and took the XD(m) back to the range today with the Poseidon. I fired five rounds each of Cor-Bon, Magtech, Speer, and Remington 147gr to test whether it would cycle with different ammunition. All cycled fine through the new wipes.

I continued shooting with the Remington 147gr to see at what point the wipes would be too worn for the pistol to cycle. The pistol failed to cycle on round 39. This failure to cycle corresponded with the front wipe completely blowing out the end of the suppressor (which also affected accuracy of that shot, the round impacted a little over a foot above point of aim at 7 yards).

I replaced the wipes and continued shooting with the Magtech 147gr to see if the number of rounds before failure was consistent. The pistol failed to cycle on round 43. The wipes were badly worn, but still intact.

So, basically I now know that with fresh wipes the pistol will cycle and that the point of failure is well beyond the 19 rounds in the magazine.

While I'm learning that dealing with wipes is a PITA, I'm pleased with this suppressor now that I understand what it takes to keep it running.

FunkyPertwee
03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Do the wipes in all suppressors have to be changed?

I've never heard of suppressors having a limited lifespan without repair.

videodon
03-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the report nfa.
Although really quiet, I'm kinda glad i didn't go that route.
My EVO-9 is a lot of fun...and no wipes to deal with.
I'll eventually have to sent it in for cleaning though.
:)

nfa1934
03-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Do the wipes in all suppressors have to be changed?

I've never heard of suppressors having a limited lifespan without repair.

Replacing wipes isn't really considered "repair." I think you may have wipes confused with baffles. Baffles are the stack of metal dividers meant to trap and disrupt the flow of expanding gases from the muzzle of the weapon; they have a hole for the bullet to pass through. Wipes are neoprene or rubber discs sealing the suppressor; they don't have a hole - you just shoot through them and eventually they have to be replaced. Wipes are older technology from when suppressors were less efficient and needed to be sealed. A couple of manufacturers are using them again in "micro" suppressors like my Poseidon (my Poseidon is tiny compared to most cans) to compensate for the lack of size. My poseidon uses two wipes. To replace them, you just screw off the endcap, drop a new one in place, and screw the endcap back on. I keep sheets of neoprene on hand and I have a punch that's the correct diameter, so keeping a stock of baffles is cheap and easy. A set of baffles for my Poseidon probably doesn't even cost a quarter.

FunkyPertwee
03-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Replacing wipes isn't really considered "repair." I think you may have wipes confused with baffles. Baffles are the stack of metal dividers meant to trap and disrupt the flow of expanding gases from the muzzle of the weapon; they have a hole for the bullet to pass through. Wipes are neoprene or rubber discs sealing the suppressor; they don't have a hole - you just shoot through them and eventually they have to be replaced. Wipes are older technology from when suppressors were less efficient and needed to be sealed. A couple of manufacturers are using them again in "micro" suppressors like my Poseidon (my Poseidon is tiny compared to most cans) to compensate for the lack of size. My poseidon uses two wipes. To replace them, you just screw off the endcap, drop a new one in place, and screw the endcap back on. I keep sheets of neoprene on hand and I have a punch that's the correct diameter, so keeping a stock of baffles is cheap and easy. A set of baffles for my Poseidon probably doesn't even cost a quarter.

I see. Thanks for the crash course, NFA.

Glad your gun is running smooth again.

nfa1934
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
I see. Thanks for the crash course, NFA.

Glad your gun is running smooth again.

You should look into this too. "Come on in, the water's fine" as they say.

filthy phil
03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Finally figured it out. This pistol will not cycle without fresh wipes in the Poseidon.

I installed new front and rear wipes and took the XD(m) back to the range today with the Poseidon. I fired five rounds each of Cor-Bon, Magtech, Speer, and Remington 147gr to test whether it would cycle with different ammunition. All cycled fine through the new wipes.

I continued shooting with the Remington 147gr to see at what point the wipes would be too worn for the pistol to cycle. The pistol failed to cycle on round 39. This failure to cycle corresponded with the front wipe completely blowing out the end of the suppressor (which also affected accuracy of that shot, the round impacted a little over a foot above point of aim at 7 yards).

I replaced the wipes and continued shooting with the Magtech 147gr to see if the number of rounds before failure was consistent. The pistol failed to cycle on round 43. The wipes were badly worn, but still intact.

So, basically I now know that with fresh wipes the pistol will cycle and that the point of failure is well beyond the 19 rounds in the magazine.

While I'm learning that dealing with wipes is a PITA, I'm pleased with this suppressor now that I understand what it takes to keep it running.

damn, do all cans gotta be serviced around the 40 rd mark?

RCS
04-03-2011, 07:28 AM
This is great news! I may still be able to suppress my XD9SC. My dad owns a shop and deals in neoprene day in and day out, so I'll get him to cut me some wipes if I hit this suppressor up.