PDA

View Full Version : Fat Wood

recon
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Does this stuff keep long? Found some in a burlap bag.

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?pcode=64

El Jefe
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
It's just highly resinous wood, it should keep almost indefinitely.

old Grump
02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
For $35 you can buy a lot of newspapers or burn a lot of junk mail. It will last forever but I have a philosophical aversion to burning chemicals of any kind in wood stoves or fireplaces.

Skip
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
We dig up old dead pine tree roots to get the same thing.

Flinter
02-01-2011, 04:57 PM
It lasts just about forever.

I'd never pay for it though....it's very easy to gather.

El Jefe
02-01-2011, 05:20 PM
We dig up old dead pine tree roots to get the same thing.

It is the same thing. Highly resinous heart or stump wood from pine trees. It's great stuff and has been used forever. Granted some of the prices you see are crazy, but that doesn't deter from it being good fire starter.

HDR
02-01-2011, 10:10 PM
It is the same thing. Highly resinous heart or stump wood from pine trees. It's great stuff and has been used forever. Granted some of the prices you see are crazy, but that doesn't deter from it being good fire starter.

Same but the roots have a stronger turpentine smell.

Fire starter or fat wood is good stuff but not when the prices are crazy.

Infidelski
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Fat Lighter down in these parts and it only gets better as it cures with time...

Schuetzenman
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Yes I've heard it called Fat Ligher Pine too. First learned of it when I lived in Florida. Starting a fire in your fireplace or stove with it would be OK I guess. But burning a lot of it would soot up things pretty bad.

El Jefe
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Same but the roots have a stronger turpentine smell.

Fire starter or fat wood is good stuff but not when the prices are crazy.

Cedar stumps are good too, lot's of pitch in it, burns like a mofo. What we have here is aromatic cedar, and those things ooze goo like crazy, once it dries out it burns great. You don't use as a primary wood in either a stove or fireplace, but it makes starting a fire easy.

HDR
02-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Cedar stumps are good too, lot's of pitch in it, burns like a mofo. What we have here is aromatic cedar, and those things ooze goo like crazy, once it dries out it burns great.

Cedar is very good also; but not common here. Down East (SE NC) the forests have a lot of pines and fire starter is easy to gather. Now that I live in western NC there aren't as many pines so it is a lot more scarce.

You don't use as a primary wood in either a stove or fireplace, but it makes starting a fire easy.

Anyone who tries it as a primary wood will learn why not quickly. :lool: Another good one to start a fire easily is sawdust, wood shavings and wax. As a woodworker that is a cheap and easy way to make fire starter for hiking and camping.