PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Knife?

alismith
07-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Does anyone have experience with creamic knives? I bought a kitchen knife with a ceramic blade and there's lots of things you can't cut with it for fear it will break the blade. I've seen ceramic knives in hunting catalogs and was wondering how they held up compared to steel blades.

I do like one thing about it, though. It's pretty damned sharp. I've cut myself twice already.:D

cciota
07-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Does anyone have experience with creamic knives? I bought a kitchen knife with a ceramic blade and there's lots of things you can't cut with it for fear it will break the blade. I've seen ceramic knives in hunting catalogs and was wondering how they held up compared to steel blades.

I do like one thing about it, though. It's pretty damned sharp. I've cut myself twice already.:D

I had a Boker ceramic pocket knife a few years back. Really sharp and really brittle. I was told that I would have to send it away to get sharpened, you can't do it with a Lansky sharpener.I still think it's floating around in a junk drawer somewhere.

alismith
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I had a Boker ceramic pocket knife a few years back. Really sharp and really brittle. I was told that I would have to send it away to get sharpened, you can't do it with a Lansky sharpener.I still think it's floating around in a junk drawer somewhere.

So, from you less than enthusiastic response, I take it you are disappointed in its overall durability? I was rather disappointed at how fragile it is, myself. However, it's great for slicing through veggies, meat with no bones, and fingers. I am impressed with how sharp it is, though. Overall, I don't think I would invest in another one.

slamfire51
07-25-2010, 10:03 PM
The Science Channel's "How Do They Do It? series had a segment showing how ceramic knives are made.
If you can catch it (normally they rerun shows on the weekends) it's very interesting.

AKTexas
07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I have used a chefs knife that was ceramic,great for slicing and dicing not flexible enough for boning etc.