PDA

View Full Version : Just busted a cop :)

Mark Ducati
07-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Douchebag patient of mine for the last 5 years... after emergency type treatment only for the last 3-4 years and been off the radar for the last 18 months, he shows up at my office with another toothache... so I give the guy a script for an antibiotic and just a couple pain pills... he was supposed to come back later that afternoon to pull two teeth as he now has dental insurance as he is a recent graduate of the Georgia Police Academy in Forsyth...

So, we go to Vegas and he calls me on vacation wanting more pain medicine, and something stronger at that... I tell him "no, not until we actually do treatment"... I can't call in a stronger pain med over the phone, percocet/oxycodone has to be hand signed....

So I get back to work today and start making calls to every single pharmacy in the tri-county area and find out that he's seen 20 different doctors/dentists/ER's for the last two months and has literally gotten pain prescriptions like every 2-3 days for the last couple months...

And just happenstance, one of the other dentists in town calls me today and asks about this guy as he too suspected him of "doctor shopping"... so I gave him the skinny on this guy and then had a chat with my county's DA who also just happened to have an appointment with me at the end of the day today...

The stars must have been in perfect alignment today to bust this guy...

This guy's a real loser, not too bright, and actually kind of weird... I also had a sheriff deputy as a patient today to that I told him about this guy and the pain meds... he said he was surprised the guy made it through the academy at all, and that everyone thinks he's the kind of guy that would needlessly escalate a situation to a shooting scenario when it didn't need to go that far...

This bozo will be out a job real soon thanks to me... usually I could care less about the meth-heads up here and such... but it really burns me when somebody has the authority to carry a weapon and put cuffs on someone has a problem like this....

I hope he gets treatment in rehab... he'll either be dead shortly from the drugs, commit suicide, or be locked up himself if he doesn't get squared away soon....

TEN-32
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
he'll either be dead shortly from the drugs, commit suicide, or be locked up himself if he doesn't get squared away soon....
This statement is very true. I've seen it happen. Sad. I think you did the right thing. Good job.

Krupski
07-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Douchebag patient of mine for the last 5 years... after emergency type treatment only for the last 3-4 years and been off the radar for the last 18 months, he shows up at my office with another toothache... so I give the guy a script for an antibiotic and just a couple pain pills...

Lortab or Vicodin or something else with hydrocodone in it I'll bet...

AKTexas
07-27-2010, 07:40 PM
I won't take anything more than ibuprofen.Too chicken shit to try anything more.

TEN-32
07-27-2010, 07:44 PM
I've been issued hydrocodone (vicodin) for root canals. It never really did much for me. I never understood the attraction to it by junkies. Maybe it affects different folks differently. I find regular old ibuprofen works 99% of the time.

Blacksmith
07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I've been issued hydrocodone (vicodin) for root canals. It never really did much for me. I never understood the attraction to it by junkies. Maybe it affects different folks differently. I find regular old ibuprofen works 99% of the time.

Ditto
I’ve had it after surgery and after some bad injuries. It definitely took the edge off the pain but that’s all it did for me. unless someone is in pain all the time, I don’t get the attraction.

Kadmos
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
So basically you're a snitch?

Just kidding, you did good. Sad that this stuff happens

Krupski
07-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Ditto
I’ve had it after surgery and after some bad injuries. It definitely took the edge off the pain but that’s all it did for me. unless someone is in pain all the time, I don’t get the attraction.

Hydrocodone is like alcohol without the stupids and without the hangover afterwards.

As a pain killer... it's marginal. As a feel-good drug, it's right up there.

AKTexas
07-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Hydrocodone is like alcohol without the stupids and without the hangover afterwards.

No thanks,I'll stick with the booze I can handle liquor.

Krupski
07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
No thanks,I'll stick with the booze I can handle liquor.

Booze will ruin your liver. Well... Lortabs can too... but it's because of the stupid acetaminophen... not the hydrocodone.

Typical. DEA takes all the GOOD drugs and makes them Schedule II. :thumbsdown:

AKTexas
07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Booze will ruin your liver. Well... Lortabs can too... but it's because of the stupid acetaminophen... not the hydrocodone.

Typical. DEA takes all the GOOD drugs and makes them Schedule II. :thumbsdown:

Only if you abuse it...I do not drink much a few beers a week is the extreme.

Zoff12
07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Hate to see anybody get hooked on drugs. You did a good job turning him in. Kudos!

Blacksmith
07-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Sure it is. that’s why it’s a controlled substance. :bull:
You can keep the shit. It works well as a pain killer and if I need it, I will use it again. but I’m sure the hell not going to put something like that in my body for some cheep thrill.

FunkyPertwee
07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I don't care for opium based products at all. It really makes me nauseous. When I went to the dentist last, I had to request something else. It was meperdine or something?

Anyway, drugs are drugs are drugs. If your doing something to get fucked up, I can't imagine its good for you, legal or otherwise. And people who are truly physically dependent on alcohol are about the worst addicts out. And think how many other weird side effects they must get from processing so much fluid everyday.

Not trying to defend Krupski, but in my experience, if hes limiting himself to 7.5 to 15 mg, it would be comparable to 3-6 beers for me, however my stomachs bad reaction to it might cause me to remember differently. I'd certainly prefer the beer, but everybodys different. Certainly its not like hes out back sniffin paint or something.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who was doctor shopping wasn't selling the pills to invest in other drugs.

abpt1
07-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Not just because hes obviously an addict and running a scam....IMHO most addicts are weak willed people ..... I dont think a weak willed person should be in LE .

Blacksmith
07-27-2010, 11:34 PM
And people who are truly physically dependent on alcohol are about the worst addicts out.

I hear you. It really does depend on the person. some people have a real problem with alcohol and others have a few every night and it doesn’t effect their lives at all. I think what makes the difference is some people think they need it and others just use it for enjoyment. I have some in laws that just got a divorce over alcohol. It really does change some people, and It’s never a good change. This is their second and final divorce. This time around she went 20 years without drinking. a year ago she decided to just have a casual drink every now and then. today she is divorced and drinks from sun up to sun down.

swampdragon
07-28-2010, 12:01 AM
MS Contin all the way baby.
That stuff and a few beers was GREAT after my shoulder surgery.
lol...

remy1492
07-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Had rotator cuff surgery last week.
Got oxycodone and Hydrocodone and Lortab and Motrin.
I could not keep any of them down the first few days so I just suffered. But now I am fine and I find the Vicodin/hydro makes me feel better than oxycodone. I too am VERY aware of addiction to this stuff, so I take it only at night and one pill at that. I would rather suffer some pain during the day and not risk addiction.

It does give a semi drunk feeling though, I notice less dexterity and reaction time. With that, I would NOT want a cop with a gun, or a pilot in a plane using this stuff.
I dont feel this is ratting out on an addicted dude, but rather could be saving a life or more.

I am not gonna use all my prescription, but will pack it away for SHTF. I could find no answers but I presume they can last up to 10yrs with only degradation in potency and no toxicity risk.

swampdragon
07-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Had rotator cuff surgery last week.
Got oxycodone and Hydrocodone and Lortab and Motrin.
I could not keep any of them down the first few days so I just suffered. But now I am fine and I find the Vicodin/hydro makes me feel better than oxycodone. I too am VERY aware of addiction to this stuff, so I take it only at night and one pill at that. I would rather suffer some pain during the day and not risk addiction.

It does give a semi drunk feeling though, I notice less dexterity and reaction time. With that, I would NOT want a cop with a gun, or a pilot in a plane using this stuff.
I dont feel this is ratting out on an addicted dude, but rather could be saving a life or more.

I am not gonna use all my prescription, but will pack it away for SHTF. I could find no answers but I presume they can last up to 10yrs with only degradation in potency and no toxicity risk.

Drugs have a shelf life, then they lose their potency...even in tablet form.
Just thought I'd mention that for your SHTF scenario.
10 years is optamistic for sure.
Is there no expiration dates on your meds?

remy1492
07-28-2010, 02:42 AM
no, its something they are doing now, they always say 1yr from the date given. :(
one thing Id like is a med pack for SHTF, with pain killers, antibiotics etc...

ATAK, Inc.
07-28-2010, 09:10 AM

I am a chronic pain sufferer and unfortunately got carried away with the lortab a few years ago. Nothing crazy, but I did have my wake-up call over the whole thing.

After 18+ months without anything (which really sucked, the pain is significant), the VA put me back on the lortab. Now I'm very aware of what I'm doing and will not let these things get out of my control or control my life again, EVER!

Painkillers are now the #1 drug of abuse in the US.

jeremiah johnson
07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
I save all my meds from the occasional illness. The doc prescribes antibiotics, pain killers, waterpills etc. I keep them locked up, thinking they be useful in the future. And
let my own bodies defenses take care of it. So far so good with that method, except
my dick has a nasty sinus infection and constantly has green snot running out of it.:clap: Just kidding.........

Blacksmith
07-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I save all my meds from the occasional illness. The doc prescribes antibiotics....
You're playing a dangerous game by not taking the antibiotics as prescribed.
I had a sinus infection that I did not take care of. I was just too busy with work and did not take the time to go to the doc. as of now it is chronic, the strongest antibiotics in the world will only get rid of it for a week at tops. and it will be with me for the rest of my life.

Krupski
07-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Not trying to defend Krupski, but in my experience, if hes limiting himself to 7.5 to 15 mg, it would be comparable to 3-6 beers for me,

My Lortabs are 7.5/500 (7.5mg hydrocodone, 500 mg tylenol). Two is a nice relaxing dose (15mg). Any more than that and I would worry about liver damage from the acetaminophen.

ATAK, Inc.
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
My Lortabs are 7.5/500 (7.5mg hydrocodone, 500 mg tylenol). Two is a nice relaxing dose (15mg). Any more than that and I would worry about liver damage from the acetaminophen.

You can safely take 4,000mg of tylenol each day. Beyond that, over a period of time, can and will cause liver damage.

mriddick
07-28-2010, 02:47 PM
It's a shame people have to doctor shop, I say give him enough so he'll never want any more ever... :)

Mark Ducati
07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
My buddy in town, the other dentist who saw him, gave me a call last night... my friend happens to also be the "wellness" contact person for professionals who are struggling with a substance/alcohol abuse problem... so he said that he had an intervention with this guy.

Told him that the heats coming down and that he would be best to go seek treatment (we have a local rehab center near here) voluntarily on his own like "NOW" and when this storm catches up with him shortly, hopefully he'll just get a slap on the wrist.... supposedly he agreed to go to rehab last night.

Regarding the snitch comment earlier... I did feel like a tattle-tale, but then when I remind myself that this guy has a problem and that I unknowingly contributed to it when I gave him the first couple scripts for pain meds not knowing about his shopping around... and also to think that he has a badge/gun/authority... I think I did the right thing for his safety as well as others in the community.

Blacksmith
07-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I think I did the right thing for his safety as well as others in the community.

You did the right thing. If you ignored it and something happened. It would have been on your shoulders.

Cypher
07-28-2010, 04:22 PM
My buddy in town, the other dentist who saw him, gave me a call last night... my friend happens to also be the "wellness" contact person for professionals who are struggling with a substance/alcohol abuse problem... so he said that he had an intervention with this guy.

Told him that the heats coming down and that he would be best to go seek treatment (we have a local rehab center near here) voluntarily on his own like "NOW" and when this storm catches up with him shortly, hopefully he'll just get a slap on the wrist.... supposedly he agreed to go to rehab last night.

Regarding the snitch comment earlier... I did feel like a tattle-tale, but then when I remind myself that this guy has a problem and that I unknowingly contributed to it when I gave him the first couple scripts for pain meds not knowing about his shopping around... and also to think that he has a badge/gun/authority... I think I did the right thing for his safety as well as others in the community.

You don't have anything to worry about, especially if this joker was becoming a cop. The last thing we need is people like this running around with a badge. We was probably or would end up being a drug dealer to boot. He must have watched one too many episodes of The Shield.

Cypher
07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
You're playing a dangerous game by not taking the antibiotics as prescribed.
I had a sinus infection that I did not take care of. I was just too busy with work and did not take the time to go to the doc. as of now it is chronic, the strongest antibiotics in the world will only get rid of it for a week at tops. and it will be with me for the rest of my life.

Did you confirm that it will keep coming back with a docotor? I used to get sinus infections 4-8 times a year and after struggling for a while I went to the allergist, now I use a Neti pot (extremely helpful for sinus problems), allergy shot, and take a claratin or something like that once a day during high allergy seasons and a allergy nasal spray.

So far I haven't had a serious sinus inffestion in over two years.

EDIT: I guess multiple posts don't automatically combine.

Blacksmith
07-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Did you confirm that it will keep coming back with a docotor? I used to get sinus infections 4-8 times a year and after struggling for a while I went to the allergist, now I use a Neti pot (extremely helpful for sinus problems), allergy shot, and take a claratin or something like that once a day during high allergy seasons and a allergy nasal spray.

So far I haven't had a serious sinus inffestion in over two years.

EDIT: I guess multiple posts don't automatically combine.

They can’t say for sure, but that is more than likely the case. It was discovered while doing text for other problems I have. The antibiotics took it out the first time, but they only worked for a week or so. The doc tried some extremely strong antibiotics on it the second time and got the same results. I’ve been through all the x-rays and all other treatments like steroids etc with no luck. It’s just the way it is. when I was first diagnosed, I was curious about it and researched it on the net. It turns out that if I had not just ignored it for so long than it would have just been a simple infection that normal antibiotics could have cured. but since I let it go, it became chronic.
The kenalog and stuff like it help keep it under control, but it never really goes away.

Zoff12
07-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I save all my meds from the occasional illness. The doc prescribes antibiotics.....You're playing a dangerous game by not taking the antibiotics as prescribed.
Not to mention that some antibiotics become toxic after a time.

Cypher
07-29-2010, 02:06 PM
They can’t say for sure, but that is more than likely the case. It was discovered while doing text for other problems I have. The antibiotics took it out the first time, but they only worked for a week or so. The doc tried some extremely strong antibiotics on it the second time and got the same results. I’ve been through all the x-rays and all other treatments like steroids etc with no luck. It’s just the way it is. when I was first diagnosed, I was curious about it and researched it on the net. It turns out that if I had not just ignored it for so long than it would have just been a simple infection that normal antibiotics could have cured. but since I let it go, it became chronic.
The kenalog and stuff like it help keep it under control, but it never really goes away.

That stinks. If the SHTF you are going to be in trouble if you don't have something to take care of it. I'm in the same boat in a sense, if I dind't have the allergy, and sprays to help keep it under control it would flare up more. The Neti pot is good though because it would be easy to use even if you don't have access to new supplies, just some natural sea salt and clean water.

Blacksmith
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
That stinks. If the SHTF you are going to be in trouble if you don't have something to take care of it. I'm in the same boat in a sense, if I dind't have the allergy, and sprays to help keep it under control it would flare up more. The Neti pot is good though because it would be easy to use even if you don't have access to new supplies, just some natural sea salt and clean water.
LOL
I think if the SHTF a little sinus discomfort would be the least of my problems.
It’s just not that big of a deal but it is something that could have been avoided if I would had just got some antibiotics instead of ignoring it. ;)

L1A1Rocker
07-30-2010, 01:29 AM

They've finally come out with "narco". It is hydrocodone with much less tylenol in it. (IIRC it is 7.5/250) The real problem I read was with people taking hydrocodone prescriptions and then suplementing that with more tylenol. It is amazing how much "stuff" has tylenol in it.