PDA

View Full Version : Barrel too Hot?

drdriller
02-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi,
I have a Wasr 10/63. My first trip to the range-i shot 100 rounds, quickly. Well, my barrel and handgrip started smoking, and were too hot to hold. How many rounds consecutively can you shoot before the barrel gets too hot and damage occurs.

ltorlo64
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't know the answer, but welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will have some good information for you.

imanaknut
02-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

If you just had the handguards smoking you are ok. Actually shooting 100 rounds quickly in a semi-auto is nowhere as fast as 100 rounds in a real Kalashnikov that our government doesn't want us to have.

There have been several You Tube videos of guys actually catching the handguards on fire.

I am guessing you would have to shoot more rounds than you have patience to shoot to hurt the barrel of an AK.

old Grump
02-06-2011, 04:56 AM
Welcome to the site and that was just natures way of telling you to go get a soft drink and load some more magazines for a few minutes. :laugh:

l921428x
02-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Welcome. Get some welding gloves and have at it, I have had mine too hot to hold, hence the comment about the gloves. Enjoy.

Broondog
02-06-2011, 11:21 PM
welcome to Gunsnet DrDriller!

hell i've had mine hot enough to set the hand guards to smokin' and melt/bubble-up the ployurethane finish i had on a set but never had any issues in regards to barrel problems.

and here's my favorite "AK on fire vid". it just goes to show that the AKM platform is very, very durable. :biggrina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAohtjG14c

robert
02-07-2011, 09:21 AM
love it its simply amazing

TomO
02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I have found that it's best to shoot outside on a day in which a good stiff breeze is blowing. If you hold the weapon up in the air it doesn't take too long for the foregrip to cool down enough to touch again. :)

binky59
05-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Ahhhhh..Haaaaa. I'm going to put on a heat shield with horizontal prongs, so that when it gets close to lunchtime I can bumpfire 75rnds with a couple of hotdogs on the sides of the shield! As soon as they fix my camera I'll post some pics...I new I had a use for that extra drum pouch....a lunch bag!

WB!
05-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I remember reading, that the Russian military stated that you were not to shoot full auto continuously. I think that they recomended to shoot while saying to your self "22", then let off, then shoot again. I can see how full auto using a pile of 75 and 100 round drums would damage the barrel. If you can hold the bolt open, in between strings of shots, the air would ciculate better (to help cool it down). Years ago, there was an article which had a Styer AUG. When the barrel got too hot, the man would stick the barrel in a tub of water (to cool it down). He claimed that he had down this for many thousands of rounds with no trouble. I personally wouldn't do this.

romak10/63UF
05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I remeber a wise old man told me " Ken when breaking in a new barrel you need to take one shot then run a clean patch threw it "

The first time i took my Romanian wasr 10/63 uf out to shoot i shot double tap 100 rounds yes the barrel was hot an smoking an the hand gaurds were pretty hot... i tend to let them cool down in a real life fighting for your life ordeal you might want to get a forward grip on your wasr 10/63 hear is a link

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=230721334 Take a look at the forward pistol grip... lets say you need to lay down suppressive fire with this type of grip you wont feel the heat at all...

Makasaurus
05-25-2011, 11:14 PM
I have read that the russians used to train their soldiers to hold the rifle with the front-most hand against the front of the magazine, instead of on the forearm!
Presumably barrel heat would be the reason.

You'd think they'd ad least have added some holes in the fore arm parts, like the M-16 does, to let some of the heat out but no, they're all solid. You have to wonder what mikhael was thinking when he designed that forearm - you know in a bad fire-fight those wood parts must have caught gotten hot enough to catch fire once in a while, just like in the youtube videos.