PDA

View Full Version : Warsa 10/63 issue

Johnnyrebel
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Hey guys.
I've recently purchased a Romanian Wasra 10/63 and after shooting about 250 rounds off and on. I've noticed that when you insert a full mag and pull the bolt carrier back and let go. The bolt carrier doesn't fully close. It probly has about 3/4 inch til does close. I have to manually push it close. Other times while shooting I've experienced the same thing. What could be problem. I'm using tapco mags.

Thanks
Jr

RJ Shooter
02-07-2011, 03:31 PM
The last four words in your paragraph, could be your answer. Use some surplus AK mags (steel or polymer) and see if your problem is resolved.

Johnnyrebel
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. The AK came with one steel and one tapco mag. I never bothered to use the steel mag just based on the looks of it. I've always just used the tapco. I really hope it's just the mag. We'll see what happens this weekend when I go back to the range.

Thanks again,

Jr

filthy phil
02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
:thumbspbig:hey tomball!
nw houston here- crappyfield

Johnnyrebel
02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
:thumbspbig:hey tomball!
nw houston here- crappyfield

wuzzzzz up!!! I take it you have an AK too?

Broondog
02-08-2011, 01:44 AM
it is also quite likely that it is just a break-in issue. i had the same problem with one of my WASR 10's when it was new.

give it some more range time (a few more mags....preferably steel....they are more reliable) and see if that helps. or you could hand cycle it while watching tv some evening until it smooths out, but be sure the rifle is UNLOADED and you have an EMPTY MAGAZINE inserted.

there's no need for any new issues....like a hole in the ceiling!

filthy phil
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
wuzzzzz up!!! I take it you have an AK too?

tough times sold all my goodies. got a lotta glock mags left so a glock 9 will prolly be my 1st buy once i get my shit together.
but i've been on the site since maybe '05-'06

Johnnyrebel
02-13-2011, 12:06 AM
I made it out to the range this afternoon. The only steel mag I had was junk. Everytime I loaded ammo it seemed like the interal spring was getting stuck by not allowing tension. The bullets were just jingling inside the mag. WTF!! Luckly I brought along a 20 round tapco.

Before when I was having issues with the bolt carrier not seating properly I was using some yugo surplus ammo that I has purchased at the gun show. I got a good price so I bought 510 rounds. I ended up giving away 250 rounds to a buddy of mine who had a SKS.
Anyways, during this last gun show we had I bought 200 rounds of wolf ammo.
So today I loaded 20 round of wolf in to the tapco mag, popped it in the AK, pulled the bolt carrier back and let go. BAM!!! Fully seated. I empty the mag with not one issue. I continued through all 200 rounds with no other problems, except for a sore shoulder. :)
:happy: so this whole time it was probly just the type of ammo I was using and not the tapco mags afterall. Needed to say I'm happy with my cheap 450.00 AK.

Broondog
02-13-2011, 01:21 AM
i'm glad to hear that you got the bugs worked out. now the thing should run like a champ. IMO the AKM platform is the most reliable of the semi-auto battle rifle clones we free Americans are allowed to have.

and you should try a few other steel mags. you will not regret it.

robert
02-14-2011, 10:23 AM
A LOT of the aks sold now are rebuilt and just need a few rounds to seat everything goodluck

MR. Polytech
02-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Break in is just part of AK life- Hector told me that Ivan Kolev (ex production manager of Arsenal Bulgaria) said to him that it takes around 700 rounds just to break in a chrome lined barrel- I thought I would put it to the test (and actually document group size as I went along putting 800 rounds through a new rifle) as I had a pretty new SAR-2 that was shooting 4" groups @ 100 yards...Loe & behold, by round 800 my group size was down to around 2.5" @ 100 yards.

Not bad for a Romanian rifle.

romak10/63UF
03-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I too have a new romanian wasr 10/63 UF underfolder when i try to cycle it by hand i get the same problem bolt wont close all the way into battery... i belive this is what it is called.. but when i take it out shooting i have only put 90 rounds threw it an it ran perfect.. execpt for the last hollow point round it jamed. I guess WASR break in periods require FMJ round only ? Anyways im going to go buy some cheap wolf 500 rounds for like 75 bucks plus shpping an break it in the rest of the way.. the chrome line barrel looks sweet when cleaned . :mgwhore:

Makasaurus
05-31-2011, 08:59 PM
I just bought one of these rifles and noticed at the gun store, the bolt handle tends to stick mid-way when pulled back with moderate force. If you pull it all the way, back, the bolt usually slams home. I questioned the gun store guy on this and he thought it pretty much functioned as a bolt hold open, which seemed reasonable enough, but when i asked is it going to cause function problems he said no. (I didn't buy what he said but i'll find out when i get the rifle to the range).

Note where the bolt handle is sticking. It's probably happening at the midway point of its travel through the gap in the receiver cover. If the problem doesn't wear away after a few hundred rounds, i'd use a bastard file and open up that space on the cover about half a millimeter, then do a cold blue or something to the bare metal.

imanaknut
05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Makasaurus, what is happening is that the bolt carrier rides over the hammer, which is that hitch you feel. It is all part of how the carrier resets the hammer, but because of the amazingly huge tolerances of the AKM, some are tighter than others, and some people think that their tight AK allows for the bolt to be held open. That is nothing more than luck, so what ever you do, if you can pull the bolt back slowly enough for it to stick open, don't put your finger into the ejection port. The only thing holding the bolt open is luck, and yours will run out if you even slightly bump the rifle.

Many are tight from the factory, and will usually wear in with use. I did have one that was so tight that I reprofiled the hammer to allow for a more smoother operation.

romak10/63UF
05-31-2011, 10:19 PM
I have heard about people polishing there bolt an bolt carrier an there Hammer so that way the bolt does not stick open .

(AK)1000shots
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Haha, where are you getting 500 rds / $75? The best prices I've found have been ~$0.19 / rd.