PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on rifle

adamo
02-07-2011, 05:31 PM
For the better part of 30 yrs, I have been a black powder shooter. I am by no means an expert on carbine type rifles. Last weekend, my father-in-law gave me the gift of a Romanian made 7.62 I have done a bit of research since obtaining the rifle, and found out some info on it. I know what the CAI St. ALB. VT means, but what I am trying to determine is the rifles age. The only thing that I can find, without dismembering the rifle, that resembles a date is the EF 1811-1958. I was wondering if the 1958 was the year of manufacture, since I'm pretty sure that it wasn't made in 1811.
It is a mdl 56 according to the stamped info on the barrel, and all of the numbers on the rifle match except for the trigger assembly. It is stamped with FE 2128. All others are EF 1811. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I have read that the Romanian rifles are not as common as other models. Is this going to be an issue when trying to find parts if needed later down the road? Thanks in advance for any info/assistance.

By the way, I already know that you don't pour the powder down the barrel first on this one.

Penguin
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
It sounds like you have an Romanian AK that was imported by century. Any idea what moddel specificly?

On my SAR-1 that last two digets represent the year it was made. On mine the specific model is on the left side of the reciver just behind the front handgaurd and bellow the serial number. I Hope this helps a bit.

adamo
02-07-2011, 05:48 PM
The only thing that I know about the model is that it is stamped as a model 56 on the barell. I am really interested in finding out the history of the rifle if there is one to be found. Until a week ago, I didn't know anything about them at all.

Richard Simmons
02-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I believe what you have is a Romanian SKS, not an AK

Schuetzenman
02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
http://tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/SKS-Rifle/Images/sks.jpg
Does it look like this one? If so then you have an SKS or Siminov rifle. The Russians invented this design and many countries, Romania being but one, copied the design.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/EOS/images/product/akgpwasr1063.jpg
If it looks like this then it is an AKM variant. This one is a commercial rifle built in Romania currently and exported to the US as a single column magazine rifle. This is due to BATFE importation opinion on what the 1968 Gun Control Act says about importable weapons. Once they get here the importer mills open the magazine well and trunion and then it will accept a 30 round couble stack column type box magazine. So if it only holds a 10 round mag it's "Sporting" and if it takes a military style 30 round mag it's Evil Incarnate and BATFE won't authorize the importatin for resale to us Civilians here in the US. (Last bit to be read with heaps of scarcasm).

O.S.O.K.
02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Yep sounds like an SKS and if so then 1958 is probably the manuf date. I had a Rommie SKS at one time - 62 I think...

Post a pic and we can tell you for sure :)

BTW, :welcome: to the board!

deth502
02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
sounds like an sks to me. although i thought type 56 was a chineese designation, not romanian?