PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene Stoves, Lanterns and Ovens

63DH8
02-08-2011, 03:21 AM
http://www.harvestoutfitters.com/company/storage

http://www.kerosenestoves.net/

I have used kerosene stoves in third world countries. Kerosene stores better than most other fuels, and the stoves heat and cook very well! I tried seeing how fast these things heat water compared to the Primus gas stoves. The kerosene stoves will boil water much faster! When I needed to replace the wicks, I used cotton mop threads. The heat is totally controllable.

I honestly feel kerosene stoves and lanterns are the best equipment for SHTF scenarios. They are darned near idiot proof, and the fuel stores for a long time. They're pretty economical to use and buy too.

HDR
02-08-2011, 06:19 AM
I use kerosene because it is a warm heat. :D

However, locally kerosene is more expensive than gasoline.

cciota
02-08-2011, 07:31 AM
I have a kerosene heater that does quite well. I have found that you have to take care where you get your fuel from. I totally destroyed the wick in my heater last year by using bad kerosene. I don't know if there was water in it or the red dye clogged up the wick. I try to buy the clear K-1 but it is expensive. I've have also tried some of the kerosene substitute stuff they sell at Home Depot. Still expensive, burns very hot and very fast but no kerosene smell.

El Laton Caliente
02-08-2011, 07:52 AM
I have a heater like this:
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/Y3KIgkgDd12ZfMDebxjyFeCxBRph72TQSE484rXgwyV5Qn_Z0o _nGCwTDryQGUKINCvVEPUrc7Hmi-H7eyJxr0TMrVIaUaNHL0nGJi-jN6NlAVu-A9ZyWXUfZle2kzBsDpLcAYoTmuRpN4kvrV-Kt3kl828FaMp1J2h2098

Got the thing as a piece in a package deal. Haven't even tried it, but I did pick up 5 gallons of fuel. We've just been using the fireplaces...

vit
02-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I have a heater like this:
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/Y3KIgkgDd12ZfMDebxjyFeCxBRph72TQSE484rXgwyV5Qn_Z0o _nGCwTDryQGUKINCvVEPUrc7Hmi-H7eyJxr0TMrVIaUaNHL0nGJi-jN6NlAVu-A9ZyWXUfZle2kzBsDpLcAYoTmuRpN4kvrV-Kt3kl828FaMp1J2h2098

Got the thing as a piece in a package deal. Haven't even tried it, but I did pick up 5 gallons of fuel. We've just been using the fireplaces...
I just picked one of those up. Fucker runs hot!

El Laton Caliente
02-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Living in the middle of a forest with two fireplaces I kind of wonder if I really need it. I guess if I run out of propane it would be easier to start up fast.

63DH8
02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Living in the middle of a forest with two fireplaces I kind of wonder if I really need it. I guess if I run out of propane it would be easier to start up fast.

In your case, kerosene would be a great standby in case you run out of propane. I have one of those heaters like what you posted above. It'll almost cook us out of the house!

When I get the new house built, I'm going propane, and have the outside grill plumbed for propane. I believe in having back-up systems.

ubersoldate
02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I would also suggest looking into Red diesel. I use it in a Toyo stove, and it is cheaper, and just as easy to store as kerosene.

I LOVE my stove..

HDR
02-08-2011, 09:15 PM

I have two, that is 46K btus which keeps the house warm in 10F windy weather. About the only drawback is the smell when one is shut off. So I carry them outside to do that. :D

In the 2005 ice storm after 7 days on the generator the neighbors ran out of propane and the truck couldn't get in. They had two kerosene heaters. ;)

63DH8
02-09-2011, 12:02 AM
I would also suggest looking into Red diesel. I use it in a Toyo stove, and it is cheaper, and just as easy to store as kerosene.

I LOVE my stove..

When you say "red diesel", are you referring to red dyed or off road diesel?

ubersoldate
02-09-2011, 12:11 AM
When you say "red diesel", are you referring to red dyed or off road diesel?

Yup.
Its not normal auto fuel, as it has less sulfur, and has the red dye in it...
I cant say enough for the TOYO stoves...
I put a 250 gallon tank out back, gravity feed toyo laser heater in my living room, and that thing is AWESOME. Keeps my house nice and warm, and a third of the cost of propane heating...

I have a keroseen convection heater as well, and they are awesome, but the toyo does its own thing, you dont have to do anything, and it never smells like fuel.
Only bad thing is you need a generator for it if the power goes out, but mine has the battery so it stays running for a bit before it shuts off. Hell when it does get turned off, it automatically turns off the gas input so there is no smell or anything.

If you are looking to save money, and get solid heat I would look into it. Only bad thing is the stoves arent cheap, but they pay for themselves in no time, and the install you can do yourself...

The one Im running
http://petesdepot.com/laser73.html

And I do about a third of a gallon a day....

coppertales
02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
works good too. If you live near a small airport, they might sell it to you 5 gallons at a time......chris3