PDA

View Full Version : Ten Essential OTC Medications to Stockpile

recon
02-09-2011, 10:59 PM
http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/12/ten_essential_otc_medications.html

O.S.O.K.
02-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Good one - and I agree with that.

Might add simple aspirin too. It's very cheap and is good in place of ibuprofen for a lot of things.

And the diphenhydromine hydrochloride (Benadryl brand) is another really good one - this is what you give somebody that's been stung and is having an alergic reaction - works for your dog too. The cheap store brand is identical to the name brand here too. Also good to help with sleep, alergies of all kinds and for upper respiratory problems.

And I would add things like 91% ethyl alcohol, peroxide and vitamins...

HDR
02-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Recon posted a food storage calculator: http://www.thefoodguys.com/foodcalc.html which calculated a year's supply of food.

As OTC medicines and salves won't last forever either; then what?

recon
02-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Good question.

HDR
02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Good question.

Part of the answer is we could die from an infection as our ancestors did.

Mark Ducati
02-13-2011, 11:08 AM
IF you have kids....

We keep 4 bottles of Children's liquid Ibuprofen and Acetominophen on hand at all times...

Ever have a small child with a fever? You alternate the Ibuprofen and Acetominophen every 3 hours... kids can go through that stuff like me through beer!

My point, is that one or two bottles really won't be enough...

I'm actually thinking about keeping 8 bottles of Ibuprofen and Acetominophen... uncontrolled high fevers in kids can cause brain damage and death! When the lights go out, if you don't have any, you're only choice is to submerge them in luke warm water (used to be cold water, but they changed that about a year or so ago and now recommend luke warm water).

Unfortunately, the syringe is only good for a year, but both my son and I are allergic to bees... we keep an Epinephrine pin taped to the inside of a cabinet door just in case. We also keep plenty of liquid Benedryl too. FWIW, my 7 and 4 year old, do just fine with those Unisom Sleep Melts (they're cherry flavored and dissolve in the mouth fast like candy). 25mg Benedryl each, I think these are easier to store than the Benedryl liquid.

recon
02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Part of the answer is we could die from an infection as our ancestors did.

True! In this day and age there seems to be a pill for every sickeness of some kind. If the meds run out then....

El Laton Caliente
02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
On asprin, get the coated; it has a nearly unlimited shelf life. Uncoated goes bad in a couple years. Sam's has a good 1000 count coated.

recon
02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
So basically anything coated should last a very long time?

Mark Ducati
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I asked my pharmacist about this... coating is better in that it keeps "moisture" out of the pill, but they said that the 1 year shelf life on prescription pills is for 2 reasons: 1) business, come back and buy another bottle and 2) CYA, liability.

Truth is, the pharmacist said all pills are probably good for a few years after their expiration date, but that the potency and/or efficacy (how well it works) does diminish over time... how, I think I need a physics or bio-chem lecture to explain that one.

HDR
02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
True! In this day and age there seems to be a pill for every sickeness of some kind. If the meds run out then....

Fortunately I have no need to take any.

recon
02-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Me either.