PDA

View Full Version : Japanese tanker damaged in PG (crew says outside source-Oman says earthquake?)

chiak47
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
This story is just odd. Earthquake? really....?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100728/wl_nm/us_japan_explosion_1
Japanese tanker damaged off Oman, cause unclear

MUSCAT/TOKYO (Reuters) – A Japanese oil tanker damaged in an explosion in the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most important shipping lanes, was being diverted to a port in the UAE on Wednesday.

One of the 31 crew aboard was injured but no oil leaked from the M Star very large crude carrier (VLCC), according to the Japanese transport ministry.

It said an explosion occurred onboard at around 00:30 a.m. local time (2030 GMT Tuesday), but the cause was unclear.

"A crew member saw light on the horizon just before the explosion, so (ship owner Mitsui O.S.K.) believes there is a possibility it was caused by an outside attack," Japan's ministry said in a statement.

Oman's coastguard said there was no evidence of any attack on the tanker and instead cited an earthquake.

"The boat was hit by a tremor ...we have no information of an attack," an Omani coastguard official told Reuters.

The Strait of Hormuz remained open and it was "business as usual," an official from the Omani ministry of transport said.

Al Qaeda has threatened to attack shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, a route used by some 40 percent of the world's seaborne oil.

The ship was sailing under its own power toward Fujairah port in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to check the damage, a Mitsui O.S.K. Lines spokesman said.

The tanker bound for Chiba, near Tokyo, was carrying around 2.3 million barrels of Qatar Land and Abu Dhabi Lower Zakum crudes, industry sources said.

It carried 16 Filipino and 15 Indian crew members.

Any impact on the Asian spot crude market would be negligible and the tanker would have taken three weeks to arrive in Japan, traders said.

"This (event) won't stop the flow of crude, so there will be no impact on what is able to be bought," a Tokyo-based crude trader said.

Around 17 million barrels per day of oil flow via the Strait of Hormuz, and Middle East crude accounts for 90 percent of Japan's total imports.

(Reporting by Yoko Nishikawa, Osamu Tsukimori and James Topham in Tokyo and Alejandro Barbojosa and Luke Pachymuthu in Singapore, Raissa Kasolowsky, Amran Abocar and Amena Bakr in Dubai; Writing by Barbara Lewis; Editing by Jason Neely)

mriddick
07-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Earthquake really? I'm with you on this one...

O.S.O.K.
07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
At the onset of the first gulf oil disaster, I remarked to my wife that I thought it was damned coincidental that after 26 years of safe operation, and at a time when it appears that the loony left was losing the battle over oil, this happens.

Then, we see the other incident in the gulf with a tug boat running over a dead well and knocking it open? And now an explosion on a Japanese tanker?

I'm thinking that there's more at work here than fate.

And our current AG isn't going to be the one to blow the lid on it... of that you can be sure.

AKTexas
07-28-2010, 01:43 PM
There is a more of chance of Godzilla than an earthquake here or it could have been the spanish inquistion.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbWyixncVXlp9leRZGKEj8cKLSzIVvl BCL1IaN6SrMklP5CU8&t=1&usg=___mWFbiasCw0-pOWjvxTGlsLEF3Y=

chiak47
07-29-2010, 04:43 AM
At the onset of the first gulf oil disaster, I remarked to my wife that I thought it was damned coincidental that after 26 years of safe operation, and at a time when it appears that the loony left was losing the battle over oil, this happens.

Then, we see the other incident in the gulf with a tug boat running over a dead well and knocking it open? And now an explosion on a Japanese tanker?

I'm thinking that there's more at work here than fate.

And our current AG isn't going to be the one to blow the lid on it... of that you can be sure.

All of this is very strange.

China is in the process of cleaning up one of it's worst spills ever...
http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/asia/China--Oil-Spill-Contained-in-Coastal-Waters-99260589.html
It is odd that all of this is happening at once...

ltorlo64
07-29-2010, 05:45 AM
I was on a ship once, that was hit by a "rogue wave". It caused us to heel way over and then it was gone, no explosions or damage. An earthquake would make sense on land, but not on the water as all it would do is cause a wave. I think their explanation leaves a lot to be desired.

O.S.O.K.
07-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Some guys on another board commented that this kind of shit is happening all of the time, but unless its something really big, we never hear about it normally.

The implication is that this is just a "hot" topic right now and so we're seeing it - and it seems like there's more of it happening, but not really.

I'd have to see some stats or something to be copletely convinced if this though....

mriddick
07-29-2010, 08:48 AM
I guess if it was right over the crack where massive amounts of water are raised (or lowered) it might stress the ship.

Mark Ducati
07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Didn't Mythbusters try to sink a ship under the Earthquake theory?