PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Solar Storm

O.S.O.K.
02-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Have you guys seen this information? I guess it's been out for a year or so... yeah, I remember this... but it seems to be cropping up again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TXQkNBB9k&playnext=1&list=PL7D1869519F4EBC34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_TzIUlaQok&feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_TzIUlaQok&feature=player_embedded)

Weird how this lines up with the other apocolyptic stuff... Mayan calendar and such...

And so, to protect ourselves from this we'd have to make a lead shielded shelter or something like that?

Goodman
02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
And so, to protect ourselves from this we'd have to make a lead shielded shelter or something like that?

A lead shield for the entire planet?

imanaknut
02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
I can't believe that somewhere in the story there wasn't some lunatic screaming "IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!!!".

O.S.O.K.
02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Well, the bottom line with this is that it happened in 1851 - I think that was the date right? And it fried all of the telegraph equipment.

And the stated threat is a "possibility" that it may happen again this cycle which is coming up in 2012.

And if it does happen, then we lose all of our toys and chaos ensues.

Unless of course, you have things set up to be shielded from this - which I'm not sure entails what?

You'd want a wind generator and/or solar pannels stored with deep cycle batteries under the shielding so you could bring them out to use after the storm is over.... and of course any gizmo that you'd want use too... and you car would be fried unless shielded....

Oh bother.

And of course, if you did this and were conspicuous, you'd be a big fat target for anybody wanting your equipment.... for quite some time.

So really, you'd also need a compound or some kind of organized community of people such as you with a defense plan.

More of a bother....

recon
02-16-2011, 06:53 PM
What month in 2012?

old Grump
02-16-2011, 07:10 PM
What month in 2012?Solar storms happen at a 11 year cycle. Look for bad things to happen in December 2012.

Mark Ducati
02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Yes, I have seen this before... they said it'd be like a massive EMP blast from nuke, only on a global scale!

We'd be plunged right back into the 1800's...

This is exactly why I had the entry mechanism on the vault in my basement converted to a manual tumbler rather than the digital keypad...

ALL of my weapons, whether scoped or have an electronic red dot sight, ALL have BUIS's.

Personally, I work so darn hard... I'm sure no harder than the rest of you, I'd welcome a Solar Storm shutting down the world. I'd love to quit work, farm/hunt for a living... different kind of stress, but I'd prefer that than going to the office very day.

Fortunately I have a skill that I can trade/barter for... want me to pull your tooth (that's what dentistry will be reduced to, forget doing fillings or replacing missing teeth)? Give me a bushel of veggies or a deer quarter.

My only concern is that the radiation could kill us... I don't believe the world will fry like a gigantic bug zapper as this is what's not foretold in the Bible. But, I could very easily see this as part of the anti-Christ's stage and entrance...

World goes blank... one man says, "I can fix this, follow me"... the anti-Christ will just take power, he won't ask for permission, heck there won't be any communications, you won't even know he usurped it... it will just happen until his troops/forces visit your community and tell you so.

If the sun zaps us like the first video... it will be exactly like the book "One Second After" (Us gets attacked with a nuke in orbit sending an EMP wave to shut everything down... only this scenario will be global?

------------------

We all have guns and bullets....

Got food?

Medicine? Sure Aspirin/Tylenol/Ibuprofen are nice to have... but do you have plenty of Insulin? Blood pressure meds? Well, in this type of situation, you're probably going to get skinny real fast with all the walking around you'll have to do, you'll lose weight and your weight/blood pressure/cholesterol will naturally turn normal... but without insulin, you're dead! Gotta pace-maker? Dead! Know someone in a hospital on life-support? Dead! Kids? A high fever for several days could kill them.... you most likely cant run down to CVS or Kroger to get some children's TYL/IBU... got some on hand?

You know why they call 3rd molars "Wisdom Teeth"... before better nutrition/hormones and humans being healthier... women didn't get their menstral-cycle/period until their early 20's, now we have 12 year olds getting pregnant! Folks typically didn't get their 3rd molars developing and then erupting until they were in their late 30's early 40's... back then hundreds of years go, the average lifespan was 45-50 years of age before some disease/pestilence/trauma killed you... so if you lived long enough to get your "wisdom teeth", you were probably one of the oldest and thus wisest person in your village.

Look what happened after Katrina immediately in N.O.? How about Egypt recently? Mom mentality and rule can and will take over... the government tanks/planes/helicopters in this case won't work, and neither will your local police department...

IF the power grid and communications go down.... Clint Eastwood will be your best friend! You will be on your own, hope you got friends/family...

alismith
02-16-2011, 07:58 PM
One of the major problems, with prescripion meds, is that no doctor in his/her right mind is going to give you a 6 month supply of what you are taking. And no drugstore is going to dispense that many meds to anyone in one lump bottle. Those with major life-sustaining prescription needs are going to be among the first to go.

btcave
02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Crap. The end of the world again?!?! What am I going to wear?

Infidelski
02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
2012 is looking like a really bad year.

old Grump
02-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Crap. The end of the world again?!?! What am I going to wear?Well what with global warming and a solar storm coming to heat things up I would recommend your floral print frock. One good thing about floral's is you can accessorize them with a variety of contrasting patterns like zebra pring pumps and a paisley purse without looking gauche.

For a less formal look there is the hot color striped sailor tops with comfy baggy denim shorts. A gold lame' belt to cinch the top at the waist with a matching clutch and you will be the envy of all the drab khaki and camo wearers at the end of the world ball.

Sorry man but you walked right into that one. :bigsmilebounce:

Goodman
02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Dayum. Here it comes!

Biggest Solar Flare In Years Headed For Earth

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/02/16/biggest-solar-flare-in-years-headed-for-earth/

Integratedj
02-17-2011, 07:57 AM
China lost Radio communications this Morning from a Solar flare, and in 2006 Canada lost a whole lot of power from one similar to what is hitting us today and tomorrow.
We may possibly lose GPS and telecomm in this current storm over the next few days, or it could be like the last one last year, and do nothing to us. All we can do is wait and see, then pick up the pieces.

Mark Ducati
02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
2006? Canada?

Is that what caused that US East Coast black out for a few days? Or was that Earlier like 2001? I can't remember when, but I remember all the way into Michigan down here to Georgia, power was lost for a few days... don't remember where I was living at the time or the year, I just remember the power going out for a few days and they blamed it on some kind of sub-station overload or such that cascaded and broke the system down....

O.S.O.K.
02-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, another shtf bringer.

I have to say, it is weird that there are several scenarios that could all happen in or at the end of 2012.... this, deep economic depression and terrorist attack(s).

However, for the most part, preps for one are preps for the others with the exception of providing sheilding for your vehicle and appliances that you'd want after the solar storm... not that you'd have fuel for long... so maybe bicycles are better.

Guess I gotta go get a wind generator along with some lead sheets...

Of course, if you are all set up and humming along after such an event, you will be a huge, glaring target...

FunkyPertwee
02-18-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm I only the only one who thinks "I'm screwed if this happens"?

I guess its not that hard to get the normal stuff down, like sturdy glasses instead of depending on contacts, and keeping a supply of OTC meds and rice/beans/spam, but things wouldn't be good for me where I am now.

Going to school full time, no more money to spend on gear, and living out in the country away from the rest of my family, and I'm the only healthy young male in the family. And unfortunately, I require antibiotics for cold/ flu/ pneumonia every few years even with regular nutrition. I can't help but imagine me laid up sick or dead while the old folks and children starve because I can't help anybody.

I'm depending on water pumped by an electric pump, run through an electric filter. Its nice having the whole system at home, but it all relies on electricity, and I have no generator or hand pump. Pretty much the only thing I got going for me is guns and general mechanic skills. And experience doing hard labor in harsh environments. :dammit:

I could trek across a few rivers and miles of barrier islands and marsh and swamp to get to the island my family lives on. My step-dad would be survive with. Unfortunately, that would mean abandoning my father's family, who could only survive with my help, but with whom I would probably die eventually.

btcave
02-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Well what with global warming and a solar storm coming to heat things up I would recommend your floral print frock. One good thing about floral's is you can accessorize them with a variety of contrasting patterns like zebra pring pumps and a paisley purse without looking gauche.

For a less formal look there is the hot color striped sailor tops with comfy baggy denim shorts. A gold lame' belt to cinch the top at the waist with a matching clutch and you will be the envy of all the drab khaki and camo wearers at the end of the world ball.

Sorry man but you walked right into that one. :bigsmilebounce:

I walked into THAT!!! How the hell do you know THAT stuff! :laugh:

btcave
02-19-2011, 12:33 AM
You can't prep for everything. If you can make it the first year... well lets say two years as the Mormons are prep'd for, you have a chance to get your DNA to stay in the pool. Food, water, shelter and and the means to hunt and harvest. Protection of these necessities is key.

Water
Shelter
Food
Protection
Luck

1 to 2 years for TEOTWAWKI

Everything else is gravy. Meds, companions, electricity, plumbing, etc. Just gravy.

O.S.O.K.
02-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm I only the only one who thinks "I'm screwed if this happens"?

I guess its not that hard to get the normal stuff down, like sturdy glasses instead of depending on contacts, and keeping a supply of OTC meds and rice/beans/spam, but things wouldn't be good for me where I am now.

Going to school full time, no more money to spend on gear, and living out in the country away from the rest of my family, and I'm the only healthy young male in the family. And unfortunately, I require antibiotics for cold/ flu/ pneumonia every few years even with regular nutrition. I can't help but imagine me laid up sick or dead while the old folks and children starve because I can't help anybody.

I'm depending on water pumped by an electric pump, run through an electric filter. Its nice having the whole system at home, but it all relies on electricity, and I have no generator or hand pump. Pretty much the only thing I got going for me is guns and general mechanic skills. And experience doing hard labor in harsh environments. :dammit:

I could trek across a few rivers and miles of barrier islands and marsh and swamp to get to the island my family lives on. My step-dad would be survive with. Unfortunately, that would mean abandoning my father's family, who could only survive with my help, but with whom I would probably die eventually.

No, you aren't the only one. In fact, the vast majority of people will be completely unprepared should anything happen to interupt their power, retail outlets, communication, water, etc. They will panic and it will be a matter of days if not hours for anarchy to ensue.

I am grateful to have family - my daughter and her new husband are in an area where there's a large number of extended family members (my wife's side) that live in rural areas.

My oldest son is only 1 1/2 hour away at school - should be able to get to him even if I have to ride a bike...

My oldest brother is in the same state as my daughter and SIL and my wife's family.... and my youngest son is still at home for another year.

My folks though are in Florida which is tood damned far away...

My response given a really bad shtf situation is going to be to gather family in...

I'm hoping that we can move to some land in a rural area before anything major happens but the way things are looking in the economy and with the world monitary system, that may just not be possible.

One thing is for certain though, I would't want to be in a large city or even suburb when it goes down...

rahatlakhoom
02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I was thinking that 2012 was the completion of one zodiacal cycle of 26,000 years.
Procession of the Equinox, or the wobble of the axis as it is commonly known.
I'm not expecting anything in particular, but welcome any change that
eradicates bill collection, or other fund extractions requiring me to work.
:dammit:

old Grump
02-20-2011, 02:10 AM
I walked into THAT!!! How the hell do you know THAT stuff! :laugh:4 sisters, a step sister, a wife, a daughter, 2 sisters in laws, and I googled womens fashions. Being the oldest of a large clan you become a repository of absolutely useless information even if you aren't paying much attention.

alismith
02-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Here's another article talking about the coming "space weather" we could be getting. However, they say the strongest events are likely to happen around 2013.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41685166/ns/technology_and_science-space

HDR
02-20-2011, 08:42 AM
March 13, 1989 - The Quebec Blackout Storm - Most newspapers that reported this event considered the spectacular aurora to be the most newsworthy aspect of the storm. Seen as far south as Florida and Cuba, the vast majority of people in the Northern Hemisphere had never seen such a spectacle in recent memory. Electrical ground currents created by the magnetic storm found their way into the power grid of the Hydro-Quebec Power Authority and the entire Quebec power grid collapsed. Six million people were affected as they woke to find no electricity to see them through a cold Quebec wintry night. This storm could easily have been a $6 billion catastrophe affecting most US East Coast cities.
http://www.solarstorms.org/SS1989.html

I was chatting with a ham in Europe the signal meter on my rig pinned at 40db over 9 and all that came out of the speaker was "static."

O.S.O.K.
02-20-2011, 12:51 PM
HDR - could you please post a thread on the how-to's of becoming a ham? Radio operator that is... ;)

I would seriously like to get into that and set-up my other family members with them - would be a great thing to have in the abscense of cells, land lines and internet.

rahatlakhoom
02-20-2011, 02:25 PM
If I could place bets, I'd go with the ice. -Me

February 18, 2011

NASA and the ESA agree, and so does the Russian space agency, Roscosmos—the sun is headed for a Grand Solar Minimum and a Grand Cooling will commence.

The aptly named Grand Cooling is exactly what it implies: the sun is going to cool. That cooling will also cool off the Earth. It will last from 30 to 50 years.

http://www.helium.com/items/2094726-scientists-suns-approaching-grand-cooling-assures-new-ice-age

O.S.O.K.
02-20-2011, 02:48 PM
So, first a massive solar storm that burns out all of our electrical capabilities followed by a little ice age.

Great.

HDR
02-20-2011, 04:00 PM
HDR - could you please post a thread on the how-to's of becoming a ham? Radio operator that is... ;)

I would seriously like to get into that and set-up my other family members with them - would be a great thing to have in the abscense of cells, land lines and internet.

I'd be glad to help; the best way is find your local radio club. Often they will have the study materials used and free. They may even know of when and where a novice course is being taught.

FYI: http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Ham_Radio/Exams/

How long does it take?

Depending on your background and memory, most students pass easily after:

Technician (entry-level) class license exam: 10 hours
General class license exam: 20 hours
Extra class license exam: 30 hours

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=7072
Long term get a General class ticket which is opens up easy world wide communications. Unless there is a solar storm. :D As it is very valuable skill don't skip learning Morse.

If I could place bets, I'd go with the ice. -Me

February 18, 2011

NASA and the ESA agree, and so does the Russian space agency, Roscosmos—the sun is headed for a Grand Solar Minimum and a Grand Cooling will commence.

The aptly named Grand Cooling is exactly what it implies: the sun is going to cool. That cooling will also cool off the Earth. It will last from 30 to 50 years.

http://www.helium.com/items/2094726-scientists-suns-approaching-grand-cooling-assures-new-ice-age

Right after climate gate popped up a climatologist said the planet is entering a mini ice age. There have been a lot of articles about the mini ice age. Some of them have great graphics.

The mini ice age starts here

By David Rose
Last updated at 11:17 AM on 10th January 2010

The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.

Their predictions – based on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans – challenge some of the global warming orthodoxy’s most deeply cherished beliefs, such as the claim that the North Pole will be free of ice in
summer by 2013.

According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute this

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1242011/DAVID-ROSE-The-mini-ice-age-starts-here.html#ixzz1EXE4T5HZThere are lots of others; a pity Algore's blind eyes can't see them.

O.S.O.K.
02-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the link to the exams. I'll see if there is a local ham radio club.... might be.

And al gore is in it for the money and has no interest in the cooling thing unless it results in carbon credit activity=money in his pocket.

al gore needs terminal lead poinsoning for what he's done which has caused more harm to our country than the madoff ponzi scheme. But no, he's got a nobel prize. Commie bastards.

Mark Ducati
03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
The mini ice age starts here

By David Rose
Last updated at 11:17 AM on 10th January 2010

The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.

Their predictions – based on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans – challenge some of the global warming orthodoxy’s most deeply cherished beliefs, such as the claim that the North Pole will be free of ice in
summer by 2013.

According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute this

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1EXE4T5HZ

I saw a show on DISC/HIST channel not too long ago, about ice ages... one thing that stood out was that "they" used to think it took hundreds of years for an ice-age to cumulatively get colder each year.... like maybe a thousand years for an ice age to get cold enough to kill us all.

Nope, by digging through glacier floors and analyzing snow/ice cores with dust in them (not sure of the physics how they can tell)... but "THEY" now think that ice ages can occur quite rapidly, like over 10 (TEN) years...

Like... Man this winter was cold, was last winter this cold? Is it just me, or is this winter colder than last year? By the time you get to the 5th-6th year, you're like.... WTH is going on? Then, why isn't this stuff melting? Really? Oh Crap!

O.S.O.K.
03-04-2011, 01:26 PM
This is about a few degrees of drop in average temps - which is enough to cause things like the Chesepeak Bay to freeze over during winter - not a full blown "ice age" with glaciers. But, it does affect global food production.

Flinter
03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I was thinking that 2012 was the completion of one zodiacal cycle of 26,000 years.

Most cultures studied this...and that's exactly what 2012 is. That's why so many different cultures refer to 2012 as a year of major change.

There may be some interesting times...but there have been interesting times this year too. Basically, I'm more worried about a dirty nuke than the calandar hitting 12/23/12...unless I forget to buy my mother a birthday card. That's her birthday, and without a card from me the S will surely HTF.

Flinter
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
We'd be plunged right back into the 1800's...

I've spent the largest part of my life studying how our ancestors lived their daily lives in the 1700's. This would be my final exam.

Huzzah. Count me in.

old Grump
03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I've spent the largest part of my life studying how our ancestors lived their daily lives in the 1700's. This would be my final exam.

Huzzah. Count me in.Sure would help if we were 30 years younger and without the bad backs though. Funny about growing up without electricity or running water. When you lose it it's no big deal but the kids thought it was a disaster.

O.S.O.K.
03-04-2011, 10:58 PM
I'd settle for 10... and enough money to buy a hidey-hole.

HDR
03-05-2011, 07:27 AM
This is about a few degrees of drop in average temps - which is enough to cause things like the Chesepeak Bay to freeze over during winter - not a full blown "ice age" with glaciers. But, it does affect global food production.

I grew up in Md and it is pretty rare for the Chesapeake to freeze.

"The climate of the area surrounding the bay is primarily humid subtropical, with hot, very humid summers and cold to mild winters. Only the area around the mouth of the Susquehanna River is continental in nature, and the mouth of the Susquehanna River and the Susquehanna flats often freeze in winter. It is exceedingly rare for the surface of the bay to freeze in winter, as happened most recently in the winter of 1976-1977"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay

Schuetzenman
03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I grew up in Md and it is pretty rare for the Chesapeake to freeze.

"The climate of the area surrounding the bay is primarily humid subtropical, with hot, very humid summers and cold to mild winters. Only the area around the mouth of the Susquehanna River is continental in nature, and the mouth of the Susquehanna River and the Susquehanna flats often freeze in winter. It is exceedingly rare for the surface of the bay to freeze in winter, as happened most recently in the winter of 1976-1977"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay

I remeber 1976 and 77 quite well although I was living in Indian going to IU at the time. (I had lived near Anapolis from 68 to 73 so am familiar with the bay area) It was a very cold decade and those years were brutally cold. We had several lows in the -48°F range and tons of snow both of those winters. IN particular if I recall correctly it was January 77 a blizzard came through IN, OH, IL, KY, TN all the way south into AL and dumped a bunch of snow. I opened my apartment door one morning to go to class and there was a snow drift as tall as my nose in front of my door blocking the path to my car. The car was basically a snow drift, couldn't see it.

The Global warming douche-bags are going to have to go buy long johns soon possibly.

HDR
03-06-2011, 06:22 AM
I remeber 1976 and 77 quite well although I was living in Indian going to IU at the time. (I had lived near Anapolis from 68 to 73 so am familiar with the bay area) It was a very cold decade and those years were brutally cold. We had several lows in the -48°F range and tons of snow both of those winters. IN particular if I recall correctly it was January 77 a blizzard came through IN, OH, IL, KY, TN all the way south into AL and dumped a bunch of snow. I opened my apartment door one morning to go to class and there was a snow drift as tall as my nose in front of my door blocking the path to my car. The car was basically a snow drift, couldn't see it.

The Global warming douche-bags are going to have to go buy long johns soon possibly.

Same as now, I lived on a mountain then. The window in the living room was covered with ice. Out of curiosity, I heated a steel scale (ruler) and measured 1.125 to 1.25 inches of ice on it.

Although I don't remember the exact year, in the late 1970s there was a blizzard which shut the Hagerstown area down.

Flinter
03-07-2011, 04:52 PM
in the late 1970s there was a blizzard which shut the Hagerstown area down.

Those are my stomping grounds HDR. Well, a bit west of there anyway.

O.S.O.K.
03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Well, that explains the big foot reports in that area. Though, they were only based on hearing "stomping sounds" :lool:

binky59
04-23-2011, 03:21 PM
2006? Canada?

Is that what caused that US East Coast black out for a few days? Or was that Earlier like 2001? I can't remember when, but I remember all the way into Michigan down here to Georgia, power was lost for a few days... don't remember where I was living at the time or the year, I just remember the power going out for a few days and they blamed it on some kind of sub-station overload or such that cascaded and broke the system down....

I went though the ice storm here in NY, and the power was down for 13 days. The problem we had was that the power company keep telling us that the power would be up the next day. I was prepared but had lots of food in the fridge and freezer. So I went outside and got all of the ice I could pack in the drawers of the fridge to keep things cold. Used the woodburner for heat and cooking, by day 10 the meat in the freezer started to thaw so I started cooking it off. We made out ok, the worst thing that happened was I couldn't get that dog of mine to eat dry food after eating steak, chicken, and pork chops for a week.