PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here living completely off the grid (accept for internet service...)?

O.S.O.K.
07-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Other than macmuz that is...

So mac and others, how do you manage food, water, power, etc.?

Inquiring minds want to know.

HDR
07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
To have internet, computer needs electricity. :D

My laptop's power supply's output is 18.5v and 3.5 amps. I know one guy who lived off the grid and was online; he went to the library.

O.S.O.K.
07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
You can off the grid and have plenty of power - solar, wind or hydro power.

Get your internet, phone and tv via a dish... and live anywhere.

That's kind of my dream - live in the mountains - totally self-sufficient (or as close as possible).

swampdragon
07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
You cannot have ANY kind of "service" at all and think you are off the grid.

Off the grid means nobody even knows where you are.

Blacksmith
07-28-2010, 07:10 PM
You can off the grid and have plenty of power - solar, wind or hydro power.

Get your internet, phone and tv via a dish... and live anywhere.

That's kind of my dream - live in the mountains - totally self-sufficient (or as close as possible).

You pretty well have to be rich to live comfortably without regular electricity. Solar systems are expensive to purchase and maintain and with the cost of fuel, generators are not any better.
I consider myself “off the grid“. but there is electric polls running through my property. and I am hooked up to them.
I just put up an antenna and a repeater so I was able to get away from satellite internet and am currently using verizon. I think we pay around $60 a month. That compared to satellite that was running us around $80 a month
I have my own well, so as long as I have electricity I have an endless supply of fresh water. but by no means is it cheep. In this area it is about $10,000 for the initial well and figure about 2,000 every 5 years for repairs.
The bottom line is it can be done and you can live comfortably but it is by no means a cheep way to go. and unless you want to live like a mountain man with none of the modern amenities you will always be tied in.

AKTexas
07-28-2010, 07:23 PM
My uncle has 10 acres of land outside of Albuquerque New Mexico he has offered me the land as a gift.

This is undeveloped land that his mother bought back in the 70's and it has not had anything done with since.

I'm considering moving there after the GF and I are done with school and work on developing the land for ourselves as a retreat and possibly buy up more of the acreage out there.

I can grow what I need for vegetables and raise animals for food.Solar,wind and maybe propane.I don't need a phone or internet really to live but for entertainment and information purposes I would have.

Living completely off the grid is rough and very back to basics.

O.S.O.K.
07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Strictly speaking, yes, being off the grid means no connections, but I guess I'm talking about being independent and not NEEDING outside resources...

And yes, you either have to have enough financial resources squirreled away or have some kind of on-location way of making a living - like having a web site to sell custom hard cast bullets that you make - or something like that.

Its not that expensive to have enough photovoltaic and wind generators to be self sufficient in power... you can do that for around $5000 or even less. And add another couple thousand for a good backup generator and you are there. The generator would be something that is needed only every so often... and could be powered by propane.

Water is from a well and yes, you have a green house or gardens with chickens, goats, some cattle, etc. for protein.

Not that I'd want to be isolated - just self suficient so that I wouldn't have to have outside help most of the time.

Of course, the reality of needing healthcare comes into the picture - especially as you get older...

HDR
07-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Use the web to check prices.

The prices of wind generators I've seen don't include the tower installation and wiring. There is a word amortize or "to gradually reduce or write off the cost or value of (as an asset)"

I guess what I am saying is if it was that cheap; a lot of people would have done it.

O.S.O.K.
07-29-2010, 08:56 AM
It may run more than $5K - guess it depends on the amount of electricity you need ongoing... The areas that I'd like to locate (mountains) don't require a/c and if you get the right area, a wood burning stove will take care of the heating - cooking too if you want...

Here's a wind generator for $4000 (so yeah, my $5K is too low - make it $10K... but still - no electric bill every month?) http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200334243_200334243

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/339900_lg.jpg

You'd also need the photovoltaic cells, converter and bank of deep cycle batteries to store the power - and for full non-interrupted power, a backup generator.

printerman
07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
....with capabilities to count the ridges on the side of a dime from space , your never really off the grid ! Only cave dwellers will avoid detection ! Many will never survive the man-made super viruses that will bring about the need for the chip . Once your identified with the implantable chip you'll be given your inocculation / cure ! If not , oh well ...

O.S.O.K.
07-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Damit who the fuck let your red ass in here? You're the fucking virus.

HDR
07-29-2010, 07:15 PM
guess it depends on the amount of electricity you need ongoing...

Heat, A/C during the day (I live on a mountain), well, etc.. Add them up.

You'd also need the photovoltaic cells, converter and bank of deep cycle batteries to store the power - and for full non-interrupted power, a backup generator.

You'll need climbers and a crane also.

"Ultra-quiet wind turbine delivers 1000 Watts of power at 26 MPH. Includes controller to protect turbine. U.S.A."

I live on a mountain and I have a weather station. That is 1000 watts at 26 MPH; just how often does the wind average 26 MPH? Hint, not often it doesn't average 13 MPH much either.. So if you live where the wind averages 26 MPH go for it; if it averages 13 MPH output is probably 1/2 that 1000 watts. Now if it averages 6 MPH?

As usual the answer is always in the numbers..

HDR
07-29-2010, 07:18 PM
....with capabilities to count the ridges on the side of a dime from space , your never really off the grid ! Only cave dwellers will avoid detection ! Many will never survive the man-made super viruses that will bring about the need for the chip . Once your identified with the implantable chip you'll be given your inocculation / cure ! If not , oh well ...

Printerman,
O.S.O.K. is talking about living in a house using the wind to power it.. He posted a picture of this big white thing which will be spinning up on a tower.. Somehow I doubt he plans on hiding it with camouflage netting or concealing himself in a cave with this big a$$ wire running from the tower to his location...

Don't be offended but just what on Earth are you talking about??

justinsaneok
07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Printerman,
O.S.O.K. is talking about living in a house using the wind to power it.. He posted a picture of this big white thing which will be spinning up on a tower.. Somehow I doubt he plans on hiding it with camouflage netting or concealing himself in a cave with this big a$$ wire running from the tower to his location...

You know

DesertDawg
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Printerman,

Top, old p-man has a screw loose..just ignore him.

HDR
07-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Top, old p-man has a screw loose..just ignore him.

Dawg,
Ex-11B.

Plus by that post it sounds as if he is hallucinating so we can help him have a bad trip.. :lool:

Blacksmith
07-30-2010, 10:23 PM
....with capabilities to count the ridges on the side of a dime from space
How many ridges are on that dime?

Back on subject.
The best systems use solar wind and gas. Several years ago I checked into them, the system I was looking at installing would have cost me about $60,000. That would not be too bad but the life expectancy was around ten years and a lot shorter for the batteries. I’m sure the technology is better now and the prices may have come down. but IMO $60,000 for ten years is just not worth it. besides you will still be dependent for batteries and parts during that ten years before it needs replaced.
IMO
As long as you have something that requires that much maintenance, you will never really be “independent and not NEEDING outside resources”

swampdragon
07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
My biggest thing would just be refrigeration and freezing ability.

Other than that, everything else is not much different from camping.

Blacksmith
07-30-2010, 10:49 PM
My biggest thing would just be refrigeration and freezing ability.

Other than that, everything else is not much different from camping.
IMO
A propane refrigerator is the best way to go.

chiak47
07-30-2010, 10:55 PM

Some industrial plants use electric forklifts and the batteries are top notch but if a company can not get a full 8hrs off 1 charge then they usually sell them dirt cheap. They work great in these sorts of applications.

swampdragon
07-31-2010, 01:57 AM
IMO
A propane refrigerator is the best way to go.

Why?

You'd still not be off the grid if you are fuel dependent.

O.S.O.K.
07-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Some good stuff - actual wind speeds (I understand that this increases at some constant rate as you go higher?) , industrial deep-cycle batteries for cheap.... this is what I was wanting to disucss. Thanks.

And I guess really, if you could find some land that has a constantly running stream going through it, you could hook up a succession of hydro-electric generators (they make these comercially just for the purpose - I've seen them), this would be the best answer for constant source power - but of course, you'd need to be in the south so that the water runs through the winter....

One thing is for sure, you need to have a rather complex system set up in order to duplicate what we're used to enjoying from being hooked into the power grid...

But I think it would be worth it.

Blacksmith
07-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Why?

You'd still not be off the grid if you are fuel dependent.

As long as you have modern conveniences like refrigeration, you will never not be dependent.
If I was in a secluded area using wind power to power my refrigerator, and the wind did not blow. I would have one hell of a time trying to eat everything in the refrigerator before it went bad. with propane I could just fill up one of those big assed tanks and I would be worry free for a few years.
My brother in law used to live simple like that. Propane refrigeration is the only way to go. but then again if you are trying to get off the grid as much as possible, forget everything and just get a nice camp trailer. Throw a couple of solar panels on top and your good to go. On the other hand when people start talking about purchasing property, building a house and putting a big assed wind generator up. you are talking an elaborate setup and there will be a lot of maintenance involved. So they would be one hell of allot more dependent than the guy living simple in a camp trailer or even the guy living in a rural area.

HDR
07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Some good stuff - actual wind speeds (I understand that this increases at some constant rate as you go higher?) , industrial deep-cycle batteries for cheap.... this is what I was wanting to disucss. Thanks.

There are probably generators that make more power than that one; although they will be more costly also.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/wind-folder/whisper500.html $8500 plus a tower etc.

industrial deep-cycle batteries for cheap.... this is what I was wanting to disucss. Thanks.

Keeping them charged is a need, not a want when food is frozen.