PDA

View Full Version : Some food for thought about Wolf ammo (steel ammo in general).

NewbieAKguy
02-19-2011, 03:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3fi1wCSmM

Found this while cruising youtube. I like the guy's vids so far. Of course we don't know the dude's firearms background or testing regimen, but I'm half tempted to test it out regarding the lacquer/polymer buildup. I ran brown bear and wolf in my dpms AR last year, which I haven't cleaned yet, and didn't have any problems. Maybe keep running it as is until/see if I have issues with it this year with FTE/FTF.

sevlex
02-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I have a Colt Hbar & a friend has a DPMS 16" M4gery.

My Hbar has gone thru approx 800 rds of old Wolf lacquer with zero problems. The M4gery has nothing but problems with rounds stuck in the chamber. Wolf lacquer, Wolf poly, Silver bear, Brown Bear. Nothing runs reliably. I have read that the problem may be that DPMS has "tight" chambers, but this video seems to make a better case. I wonder what you can do to improve the "timing" on a 16" bbl?

Flinter
02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I wonder what you can do to improve the "timing" on a 16" bbl?

Heavier buffer, full auto carrier, adjustable gas block.

All would be options for delaying the action from opening.

O.S.O.K.
02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Good vid. I'll shoot Wolf in my AR's if I have to but in the mean time, I'll put it in the Mini-14...

Helen Keller
02-19-2011, 08:23 PM
i havent bought wolf 223 in 4 years, Been reloading.

I burnt up an unknown amount in my 11" gun without an Issue.

ONly gun I ever had issue with was a A1 20" clone I built , once it got dirty I had to pound the empties out of the chamber with a rod.

NewbieAKguy
02-19-2011, 09:49 PM
To be specific about my rifle; it's a DPMS 16" barrel with carbine length gas system. I use for my club's small 3-gun....which means approx. 20-40 rounds per month...nothing heavy. As I mentioned before I haven't even cleaned the thing from last year, just lubed between shoots and so far so good.

deth502
02-20-2011, 09:14 AM
i run steel (mostly wolf) through my 20" ar (vn era surp. chrome lined barrel) constantly, havent cleaned in in over a year now. id guess to have 5-600 rnds since the last cleaning. i have field stripped it recently to show someone how its done, and i got a good deal of carbon on my hands from the bolt, but it was a thin film and no stuck on buildup. and i always run it dry.

circuits
02-20-2011, 07:08 PM
I have no problem with steel in general, but have had lots of problems with Wolf. Every 2 to 5 years I'll buy another case and do some testing to see if anything's changed, and have been testing a case of Wolf in my rifles since 2002, on four seperate occasions now.

My most recent retest was last year with 1k rounds of Wolf 55gr "Military Classic" out of every compatible rifle I own.

Two rifles had no problems with the wolf functioning, or extracting: My DPMS "Kitty Kat" 7.5" running full auto had no issues. My Daewoo DR200 running semi had no issues.

My 20" Colt AR15-A2 Sporter II had severe stuck case problems - like every 2-3 rounds.
My Bushmaster 20" "Government Model" in full auto had severe stuck case problems - like every 2-3 rounds, sometimes every damn round.
My Bushmaster 10.5" with a suppressor in full auto had severe stuck case problems - every 4 to 5 rounds.
My FNC carbine full auto had severe stuck case problems - like every round.
My 20" Colt M16A1 had severe stuck case problems - like every round.
My other Colt-barreled upper, a 20" pencil barrel built up from parts, fired full auto, had severe stuck case problems - every 2-3 rounds.

Same rifles, that same day, all ran Brown Bear 62gr with zero issues.

I've got no problems with steel in general, and I only dislike and advise against Wolf because of my specific operating experiences with it. If it works well for you and your rifle, please buy more Wolf and leave the Brown Bear for me.

l921428x
03-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Good video, I luv the exit music.