PDA

View Full Version : My Daughter just gave my wife a mowhawk!

El Duce
02-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Title says it all! Her hair has been falling out pretty pretty much on a constant basis. This morning my daughter told my wife that she looks like Einstein. Wife went upstairs to take a shower. Came down, and asked our daughter if she wanted to help trim up the hair. They both came downstairs laughing hard!!

Yep, she has a mowhawk!

Flinter
02-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Man, I haven't been with a girl who had a mohawk since 1988. Now you just need some jello mix to make liberty spikes and some green dye!

Richard Simmons
02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Sorry but I just cannot picture your wife with a mohawk.

I am glad to hear she's keeping her sense of humor and will continue to hope and pray for nothing but the best possible outcome for her and your family.

FunkyPertwee
02-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Very glad to hear your family is staying in good spirits.

El Duce
02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
It does look pretty good. She feels like it is actually styled. (not just falling out.)

Mark Ducati
02-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Too Funny!

Glad she can find something positive to laugh about in this situation...

If I may offer some dental advice... A lot folks that go through Chemo/Radiation therapy.... the drugs and the rads can sometimes kill their salivary gland cells and they get an awful dry mouth.

In a dry mouth, cavities can run rampant without calcium rich saliva buffering all those sugars and acids... I've seen people beat the cancer only to have lost all their teeth when the treatment is over.

Sometimes people:

-Suck on hard candies to combat the dry mouth
-Throw up a lot and the stomach acid eats at the teeth
-Tend not to brush their teeth much as they fell like crap all the time
-Suck on Fentanyl lollipop/suckers for their pain medication

If any of that is going on with your wife, ask your dentist for a prescription for "Prevident 5000"... its a concentrated Fluoride Rx paste/gel. You brush your teeth with regular toothpaste morning/afternoon/night as all people should... but literally, right before she goes to bed, she puts a small pea-sized amount of the Fluoride gel on her tooth brush, brush it all around then spit as much out as you can... do NOT rinse with water, you just put the medicine on the teeth, you don't want to rinse it off.

Do it at night right before she gets in bed... most people's brains start to go into "shut-down" or "night time mode" and as a result there's less salivation to rinse the fluoride off.

So she'll brush twice before bed, one with the tooth paste of her choice, and then two using the fluoride Rx.

Hang in there, you guys are on my daily prayer list.

Mark Ducati
02-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Hey, if she doesn't have a regular dentist, I think that she needs a good check up through all this... but, IF your plate is so full and IF money is super tight which I can only try to imagine what you guys are going through and what all this costs...

If getting the Fluoride Rx from a local dentist poses any kind of inconvenience for you... PM me her name/address/date-of-birth and I can call the Rx into a pharmacy for you.

Just give me the pharmacy name and phone number too... the Fluoride Rx will NOT have any interaction with her cancer meds/treatment... at least I've never had any oncologist in our area that we share the same patient tell me not to give it to them.

To be safe, ask her oncologist if its okay, tell the doctor you have a friend who's a dentist who recommended the "Prevident 5000" fluoride gel through out all this...

If they say okay, I'll call it in for you... but its got to be a national chain pharmacy like CVS/Eckerd's/Walgreens/Walmart...

At least I can save you the cost of a dental office visit by giving her the Rx myself.

matshock
02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Now that's lemonade- God bless y'all.

whiskeyman
02-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Now that's lemonade- God bless y'all.

+ 1 Give her a hug.

Solidus-snake
02-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Lol she matches me now. Glad to see humor and high spirits, I pray you are all blessed.

Tx Dogblaster
02-19-2011, 05:11 PM
My wife and my younger sister have been talking about mohawks. My sister will be having chemo and surgery in about a month and my wife told her if she went bald then she (my wife) would shave her head with her and donate 2 feet of blond hair to Locks of Love. I flipped at first but said what the hell it'll grow back and if it helps my sister even the slightest bit then it will be worth it.

Dan Morris
02-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Both of u hang tite, it will grow back! Wife got her self a baseball cap. Just continue support
Dan

ubersoldate
02-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Haha sounds like fun!

Nothing says cool like a hawk!

shortydog
02-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Ditto on what Mark said.
Been there done that.

L1A1Rocker
02-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Glad her spirits are up. Prayers for you and yours.