PDA

View Full Version : NATIVE AMERICANS FINALLY WIN $3.4 BILLION IN LONG-RUNNING LAWSUIT

swampdragon
02-20-2011, 04:57 PM
WASHINGTON — "Finally!" shouted American Indian leaders down the long Capitol building corridors, startling people within earshot.

And that's how it would come to pass.

Under legislation passed by the Senate early last month, and signed by President Barack Obama, American Indians, who were wrongly cheated out of royalties by the Interior Department, will now receive $3.4 billion in compensation.

The hard won case had languished for more than a decade, despite urgings from plaintiffs that some of the beneficiaries were starting to die off.

The legislation was approved in the Senate by voice-vote on a Friday and swiftly sent to the House. The money had been held hostage for months in the chamber as Democrats and Republicans (mostly) argued with much verbal foul-swearing over how to pay for it.

Rest of the story here...

http://www.sicangusuntimes.com/node/141

mriddick
02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
The sad part is rather then just have business just pay a fair price for use of the land the government awarded it for pennies and now we get to pay the difference.

HDR
02-20-2011, 05:29 PM
0bama borrows another 3.4 billion.

old Grump
02-20-2011, 05:47 PM
What I find hard to believe is the Federal governments propensity to hire low life criminal types and its unwillingness to live up to its treaties it made with the Indian nations. I vote we give New York City back to the natives and give them a pair of seats in the Senate and representation in the house of Representatives. Then they could steal like most of the rest of congress does. Instead of working hard to make the government live up to its treaties and dealing with the nations fairly they can just go straight to the source and grovel in the trough like our elected representatives do.

Warthogg
02-20-2011, 06:42 PM
What I find hard to believe is the Federal governments propensity to hire low life criminal types and its unwillingness to live up to its treaties it made with the Indian nations. I vote we give New York City back to the natives and give them a pair of seats in the Senate and representation in the house of Representatives. Then they could steal like most of the rest of congress does.

Works for me.

Wart

yankeedog
02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
maybe they can stop drinking "aquanet" hair spray and buy some beer now???

weevil
02-20-2011, 10:41 PM
maybe they can stop drinking "aquanet" hair spray and buy some beer now???

Why don't they just buy cheap wine???

It's only a dollar or two for a bottle and you'll get way more tore up on it than beer.

mriddick
02-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Why don't they just buy cheap wine???

It's only a dollar or two for a bottle and you'll get way more tore up on it than beer.There's always some white guy trying to tell the indians how to live :)

old Grump
02-21-2011, 01:11 AM
There's always some white guy trying to tell the indians how to live :)I take it you are referring to the descendants of the White Europeans who died by the boat load after they landed and had to be bailed out and taught how to survive by the Indians. A little racism, a little bigotry, a whole lot of treaty breaking later we really showed our gratitude.

yankeedog
02-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Back then American government took over a country without mercy, today they invade, stay for 10+ years, get lots of our guys killed and then give the country back to the rouge government and say they are sorry and rebuild it for them!

old Grump
02-21-2011, 02:06 AM
I take it you mean rogue? I can't really see a cosmetic company specializing in face powder having much interest in international politics. :eyebrows:

swampdragon
02-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I take it you mean rogue? I can't really see a cosmetic company specializing in face powder having much interest in international politics. :eyebrows:

It's camo rouge for warriors.

matshock
02-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I take it you are referring to the descendants of the White Europeans who died by the boat load after they landed and had to be bailed out and taught how to survive by the Indians. A little racism, a little bigotry, a whole lot of treaty breaking later we really showed our gratitude.

Indian attacks of aggression were so common in pre-revolutionary & revolutionary America I can see where the stigma in later years came from. It is sad however that once they were at America's mercy that America did not take mercy until very late in the 19th century. Of course you could ask Mormons about the post-Civil War union army they'd probably have some choice things to say too.