PDA

View Full Version : Novice MAK90 owner

Johnalan
02-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Folks-forgive the probably stupid question(s)- but I need some help- I have read the FAQ's and still dont have any idea what I need to "ATF safe" a MAK 90 I have the ability to purchase the weapon- I am a true blue USA weapon owner (all .223/308) - they are asking $50.00 @ an eastate sale and I want to make it compliant...here is what I know- 94 serial #, thumb hole..it has never been fired - still in the foam and cardboard box with all of the misc packaged stuff....I am most confused by the stamped vs milled ? regarding stocka - i plan on swapping out the stock for a 6 position stock-will also swap out the hand guards . My other ? is; can I purchased ANY AK USA made mags - do they count for complainance??? I appreciate any help - I know its a screaming deal - I am just leary of any "goob" actions as a novice with this type of "Sombie Killer"!! thanks for the help-new to this site ....it looks like true "Citizens" use it ......ja

imanaknut
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

$50 heh???? You are kidding??? Seriously, I know estate sales can give some bargains, but WOW!!!

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we were all new to AK variants at one time.

Before doing much to it, you have to determine if it is stamped or milled. The trunions of a milled rifle have no rivets, stamped do. If you see two rivet on either side of the receiver just ahead of the stock, it is stamped. Also a stamped rifle has an oval shape stamped into the receiver just above the mag well, a milled rifle will have a large rectangular section cut into the receiver.

If milled, there is not much you can do for the stock, since they do not have a standard opening at the rear of the receiver. Ironwood Designs makes the only stock set for a milled MAK-90. I have never looked into the idea of an adapter to allow any other stock.

With the stamped rifle, the Chinese used thicker metal than the Europeans, so if you use an M4 wannabe stock, you might have to do some dremel work to fit it.

The parts count thing is that you can not make an otherwise non-importable rifle from and importable rifle with no more than 10 imported parts. With a non-threaded barrel, the stamped MAK-90 has 15 parts, the milled 14. Using an American stock set counts as 3 parts. Yes, the next easiest parts is a US mag. The mag counts as 3 parts.

Johnalan
02-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Got it! Very much appreciated ! And yes they only want $50.00, they are not gun folks.I told them what it probably was worth.... So I guess I need more help on complance part counts ....trigger / sights / flash suppressor???? I have read and re-read the ATF site notes and its pretty daunting ...... Anyway - I will pursue the purchase and up=grades / complinace #'s .........guess a good g smith may be the slacker option .....thanks again- if you have any thoughts or ideas ....I would be grateful......ja

imanaknut
02-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Actually it is very easy for the novice to tackle.

If a standard stamped receiver, the stock you want will work, but you will have to either file or use a dremel to get it to fit. The same would be for the handguards depending on what you get, but again, if you are handy with a file or dremel, not too hard.

The number one thing is to remember to take your time removing a little at a time. You can always remove metal or plastic or wood, but adding back is a little more difficult.

If this is your only AK variant, I would go with a US mag for compliance. While they are not as good as the European or Chinese metal mags, they at least allow you to be legal.

Personally the trigger group is the last thing I would change on any Chinese AK as they were arguably the best factory trigger group of any AK made.

Regardless, when you get it feel free to ask all questions you want. I would rather you ask questions and get it right the first time than not ask and find you ruined something. We had a member not too long ago that wished he asked before admitting he ruined a receiver.

If you have access to a photo site, some pictures would be nice.