PDA

View Full Version : Libyan protesters take Benghazi, second largest city in Libya after bloody fighting

O.S.O.K.
02-21-2011, 09:36 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110221/ap_on_re_af/af_libya_protests

By MAGGIE MICHAEL and HAMZA HENDAWI, Associated Press Maggie Michael And Hamza Hendawi, Associated Press – 25 mins ago
CAIRO – Libyan protesters celebrated in the streets of Benghazi on Monday, claiming control of the country's second largest city after bloody fighting, and anti-government unrest spread to the capital with clashes in Tripoli's main square for the first time. Moammar Gadhafi's son vowed that his father and security forces would fight "until the last bullet."
Even as Seif al-Islam Gadhafi spoke on state TV Sunday night, clashes were raging in and around Tripoli's central Green Square, lasting until dawn Monday, witnesses said. They reported snipers opening fire on crowds trying to seize the square, and Gadhafi supporters speeding through in vehicles, shooting and running over protesters. Before dawn, protesters took over the offices of two of the multiple state-run satellite news channels, witnesses said.
[to get the rest of the article, click on the above link]

--------------

And things continue to develop and each country's situation is unique other than long time kings and dictators are going down.

But do we have any better idea of where this will lead?

Aparantly, Lybya has two major tribal regions (I'm just gathering from the article) centered in Tripoli and Benghazi. Unlike in Egypt, Gadhafi has vowed to fight to the last bullet (said through one of his sons). There are pro-"government" forces and anti - aparently mostly divided down the tribal lines... again, I gather.

The population (a little over 5 mil) are of a homogeneous nature - about 90% considering themselves "arab" and being muslim - they are fundamentalists muslims but historically were of the Sanussi order - which was particular to this area http://www.everyculture.com/Ja-Ma/Libya.html

matshock
02-21-2011, 10:53 AM
...and Quadffiduck was cheering on the protests before they came home!

The only problem I can see here is that Libya does produce oil for the UK (remember they traded the Lockerbie bomber for an export contract) and if that ends then that will really drive up prices for a while.

Morally however, this is chalked full of irony.

O.S.O.K.
02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Yes, one big problem (especially if you are the UK) is the oil....

And I totally agree - just like Iran, he was cheering on the protestors in Egypt but I am sure in both cases this was done for purely political and strategic reasons. Both were hoping to avoid the storm...

Not to be.

One would think that this all has to lead to something better - but it can go either way...

These are fundamentalist muslims after all.... they could easily end up following the leadership of a mullah and become part of the caliphate.

American Rage
02-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I predict more fighting to come.

Rage

O.S.O.K.
02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Oh yeah - they are moving on Tripoli now and it will be bloody but they seem serious as a heart attack - it's their change to get out from under this beast. Just think of the number of people with family members that have gone missing, been tortured - realize that they have large extended families there...

HDR
02-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I predict more fighting to come.

Rage

Ditto, 0bama stirred the region up with his "Egypt" speeches and now Hillary's statement was pretty lame. Barack the butt head did it again. LOL