PDA

View Full Version : Surival vehicles?

cevulirn
07-28-2010, 07:23 PM
I want to get rid of my truck, (chevy 1500, 2wd) and pick up something that will be a little more useful in SHTF, etc. I use my motorcycle for my primary transportation, so I'm not quite as concerned about mpg as I otherwise would be. I'm actually thinking about getting a CUCV. Anyone have any thoughts?

Charliebravo
07-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Old Toyota Land Cruiser. They're cool as shit, unstoppable off-road, and can carry a lot of gear. The only downside is that gas mileage is shit.

chiak47
07-29-2010, 03:33 AM
http://horsepowersports.com/images/terraquad.jpg

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2010/03/05/162141_machine.html

J/K
I have a jeep Cherokee with a 4" skyjacker lift and 32's (BFG mud terrain)
Cherokee's are cheap and parts for the proven 4.0 I6 engine are steady available.
I have over 170,000 miles on mine and she runs like a top.

AK-J
07-29-2010, 11:32 AM
When I have the money, I'm getting a Jeep Cherokee, for all of the reasons chiak47 stated. Wish I still had my old one. Great off road vehicles with a huge amount of customization and accessories avalible.

chiak47
07-30-2010, 01:59 AM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy152/chiak47/jeep.jpg?t=1280471905

Here is a picture of my jeep. It's banged up but she runs smooth. I had the engine rebuilt a few years ago and like I said she runs through anything.

This platform is very capable...I have pulled stumps out of the ground with this...
Also..
I have more pics that I can dig up where I had it in a pond with water coming through the windows and no hiccup.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy152/chiak47/100_0257.jpg?t=1280526201

1990 Cherokee Pioneer
4" skyjacker lift on the front and 5" on the back. Solid truck that gets about 12 MPG.
Dana 44's with Detroit lockers....Some Rubicon express parts in her as well...
All together about $10,000 in parts over the past couple years.
(including the engine completely redone at a worthy shop) The only reason I redid the engine was she started to lose power (I'm hard on it) so I had the block bored out and other shit done to it.
I had problems with the driveshaft angle after the lift. It kept blowing out u-joints but my buddy got the angle right and I have had no problems since as far as that

FWIW...I see them all the time on craigslist for around $1200.

A project on my to do list is for me to acquire an M105A2 trailer and throw matching rims and tire on it and have both the jeep and trailer redone in a flat black.
Someday...

HDR
07-30-2010, 05:30 AM
I had problems with the driveshaft angle after the lift. It kept blowing out u-joints but my buddy got the angle right and I have had no problems since as far as that

The u-joints don't last long when the angle exceeds what they are designed for.

American Rage
07-30-2010, 09:42 AM
I want to get rid of my truck, (chevy 1500, 2wd) and pick up something that will be a little more useful in SHTF, etc. I use my motorcycle for my primary transportation, so I'm not quite as concerned about mpg as I otherwise would be. I'm actually thinking about getting a CUCV. Anyone have any thoughts?

Frankly, I think a half ton pickup is the perfect survival vehicle

Rage

Charliebravo
07-30-2010, 01:40 PM

RageHow about an old Jeep J-10 with a 4BT motor? That would be the bee's knees. Unstoppable drivetrain and 30 mpg.

chiak47
07-30-2010, 03:10 PM
The u-joints don't last long when the angle exceeds what they are designed for.

I learned that the $$$ way.

ATAK, Inc.
07-30-2010, 03:29 PM
I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with a front end any demolition derby driver would be proud of. Add to that some 1/4" steel plate, a bunch of 3x3" angle and assorted other steel and Mad Max Mobile here I come. I have an idea to use the ends of a 55 gallon drum to make a roof ring mount for my PKM and making a hatch that would double as a backstop. Have access to a mobile home towing tongue for making a ram style bumper... maybe even add some steel spikes, for fun!!!

HDR
07-30-2010, 04:12 PM
I learned that the $$$ way.

I didn't want to dump ice water on the lift parade. U joints or yokes have a limit the same as a receiver and chamber pressures. Under the same load conditions the smaller the angle the longer they will last. No angle is best. ;)

raxar
07-30-2010, 06:38 PM

Rage

+1 provided it's four wheel drive, that way you get to be the guy driving the technical, not the just the guy sitting on the bed.

Charliebravo
07-30-2010, 11:07 PM
+1 provided it's four wheel drive, that way you get to be the guy driving the technical, not the just the guy sitting on the bed.You gotta make sure it has solid axles though. Independent suspension with 4WD may be OK on snow-covered roads, but it's absolute shit off-road.

American Rage
07-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Unless you live far from the pavement and are going up and down muddy roads on a daily basis, 4 wheel drive is very unneeded. OTOH, if you're living in mudville, than by all means, 4 wheel drive is definitely needed.

Rage

tOH

raxar
07-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Unless you live far from the pavement and are going up and down muddy roads on a daily basis, 4 wheel drive is very unneeded. OTOH, if you're living in mudville, than by all means, 4 wheel drive is definitely needed.

Rage

tOH

living somewhere that got several really bad snowstorms last winter 4wd is needed

American Rage
07-31-2010, 01:03 PM
living somewhere that got several really bad snowstorms last winter 4wd is needed

Very true. I forgot about snowstorms b/c Oklahoma gets so few real ones.

Rage

hawk1911
08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Lots of good point to consider here, Im currently inbetween trucks right now. My truck of 15 years my Toyota T100 4cyl 5 speed regular cab blew her head gasket after the radiator cap failed and overheated..... sob So I was thinking of getting a semi new either Toyota Tacoma or Jeep Wrangler. Dispite the very true arguement that you might never need it I want either to actually be 4x4 just it case.

Charliebravo
08-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Lots of good point to consider here, Im currently inbetween trucks right now. My truck of 15 years my Toyota T100 4cyl 5 speed regular cab blew her head gasket after the radiator cap failed and overheated..... sob So I was thinking of getting a semi new either Toyota Tacoma or Jeep Wrangler. Dispite the very true arguement that you might never need it I want either to actually be 4x4 just it case.I can't recommend the Toyota strongly enough. Having used a friend's 2007 Jeep Wrangler for a day, I can tell you that there's no comparison in quality.

El Jefe
08-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I hope a 4x4 F150 is a good one because it's what I've got. :)

NAPOTS
08-06-2010, 08:05 AM
http://www.motorcycle.com/images/content/Product/Boots_Combat_Leather(1).jpg

What is wrong with good old fashioned LPC's?

2rowdy
08-06-2010, 10:54 AM
How about an old Jeep J-10 with a 4BT motor? That would be the bee's knees. Unstoppable drivetrain and 30 mpg.

This gets my vote.

DesertDawg
08-06-2010, 12:15 PM
http://www.motorcycle.com/images/content/Product/Boots_Combat_Leather(1).jpg

What is wrong with good old fashioned LPC's?

you run out of gas too fast..and tho i have carried very heavy loads with my LPC's..I dont suggest it.

ready
08-06-2010, 12:37 PM
If you're going to be on foot all day, I have to agree. I've tried them all, Bates, Danner's, Matterhorns, Oakley's, Blackhawks. While they all get the job done, I'd much rather have a good pair of Merrell's or similar "hiking shoe".

Lysander
08-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Another vote for either an old Land Cruiser or 4Runner. The vehicles are built to last. Maintenance is easy and straight forward.

sevlex
08-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Not to mention if we do hit TEOTWAWKI unmaintained road conditions will be worse than a jeep trail.

raxar
08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Not to mention if we do hit TEOTWAWKI unmaintained road conditions will be worse than a jeep trail.

I was just thinking that the other day, ain't gonna be no plow men when the world ends

HDR
08-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Rage

We had a wet spring pop up on a switch back hill. If you live off the beaten track on a dirt road where it snows, has ice storms or hills which can wash out; a 4WD or an AWD is a good idea.

Paladin
08-11-2010, 12:12 PM
We had a wet spring pop up on a switch back hill. If you live off the beaten track on a dirt road where it snows, has ice storms or hills which can wash out; a 4WD or an AWD is a good idea.

We live in a forested, mountainous place. After a fairly dry summer, we have a lot of mud, snow, ice. We heat with wood and sell some too. I have a 1 ton, 4x4, '89 chevy that I haul a bunch of wood out of the hills with year round.

I's all I've got for a "survival vehicle". I manage to keep it running so I manage to keep our home warm and make enough money selling to finance the operation. Guess it will have to do for SHTF...

Batwing
08-11-2010, 07:51 PM

I know the feeling all to well,every winter I get this 4 or 5 times at least,and I have had it stuck in the road in drifts up to the windows ,hell they even folded my mirrors in and yes it's 4 wheel drive

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o197/Boris859/01010180.jpg

Ol Dirty Bastard
08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Where are you going to get fuel when SHTF?
Address, or coordinates please, I might need to fuel up my Toyota.

raxar
08-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Where are you going to get fuel when SHTF?
Address, or coordinates please, I might need to fuel up my Toyota.

probably abandoned vehicles or fast food places if it's diesel

chiak47
08-20-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm thinking about getting this Jeep this weekend for a winter project. I think it would be a cool little backwoods runner.

http://wausau.craigslist.org/cto/1899783697.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23m83p95Z15P05S1a8f2d77a13a46da13b3.jpg

Paladin
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking about getting this Jeep this weekend for a winter project. I think it would be a cool little backwoods runner...

Looks like it would be a great project...

swampdragon
08-21-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm thinking about getting this Jeep this weekend for a winter project. I think it would be a cool little backwoods runner.

http://wausau.craigslist.org/cto/1899783697.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23m83p95Z15P05S1a8f2d77a13a46da13b3.jpg

You should paint it blue and put US MAIL on the side of it.
Nobody would ever suspect you.

Paladin
08-21-2010, 03:01 AM
You should paint it blue and put US MAIL on the side of it...Nobody would ever suspect you.

Yeah, paint US Mail on one side and Going Postal on the other...

El Jefe
08-21-2010, 11:39 AM
You should paint it blue and put US MAIL on the side of it.
Nobody would ever suspect you.

Hmmmm..... around here all of the Post Office Jeeps and other vehicles are white, with red and blue stripes.

DownRange1776
08-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I like Jeeps and they can be found pretty cheap right now. I had a big SUV that started giving me problems. These problems started getting into the $300+ price range each visit with 30 thousand miles on it.

I took the Ascender in and traded it on a Jeep Patriot. We had a snow storm that was 3ft and I had the Patriot out in it before any snow plows came by and I didnt lock it into four wheel drive. The Patriot does switch it over when it is needed without me having to do it.

I know this is based on a car platform but the thing is pretty awesome for a small SUV. Take a look at some youtube videos its kind of shocking.

This is a pic of it after the first snow storm we had that came close to three feet.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/OlympicArmFan/2010Patriot.jpg

chiak47
08-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Fuck I hate snow...:dammit:

This is a pic of it after the first snow storm we had that came close to three feet.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/OlympicArmFan/2010Patriot.jpg

swampdragon
08-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Hmmmm..... around here all of the Post Office Jeeps and other vehicles are white, with red and blue stripes.

We have a mixture of stuff here.
Some mail carriers actually drive standard cars with no markings at all.
They just have one of those magnetic yellow lights on top that they take back off at the end of the day when they go home.
Never seen anything like that before until I moved here.

El Jefe
08-21-2010, 11:16 PM
We have a mixture of stuff here.
Some mail carriers actually drive standard cars with no markings at all.
They just have one of those magnetic yellow lights on top that they take back off at the end of the day when they go home.
Never seen anything like that before until I moved here.

Those would be rual carriers right?

swampdragon
08-22-2010, 03:13 AM
Those would be rual carriers right?

Right.
I don't live in a town.

HDR
08-22-2010, 05:13 AM
I know this is based on a car platform but the thing is pretty awesome for a small SUV. Take a look at some youtube videos its kind of shocking.

Jeeps have always been pretty awesome. They've build 4WDs almost forever so there is a lot of product experience to draw on.

With "real" M&S tires some of the AWD cars and wagons make excellent "survival vehicles."

I live on a dirt road, last winter a wet spring turned 40-60 feet of it into 6-10"(?) of rutted mud. From the bottom of the hill to a switchback. The mud froze, melted, and even was covered with snow a couple of times.
There's about six houses on the wrong side of the mud. Only three vehicles could get in and out. A Tahoe, a ZR-71 PU and a Volvo XC70. No 2WDs could get out and a couple of Subarus and 4WD PUs could not get through the mud. The difference between those that could and those that couldn't was the tires.
As it was very cold and always windy in the morning the walk to the car was a thrill for some. In the evening, it melted which was no fun either. It was a special mountain welcome for a "prepper" family's VW Beetle and 2WD PU.

It is all in the tires..