PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering... how many are working on getting to "the country"

O.S.O.K.
02-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm planning on moving to a small acreage (20 acres) ideally, next to a national forest and build a small "efficient" home for me and my wife - in about 2 years (God willing everything is still such that we can). In the mean time, we're doing the best with where we are which isn't bad really, just not what we want...

I was just curious how many others are planning a similar move. I know that some are...

Tell us about your current set-up or your plans.

My plans are for a completely off-the-grid set-up save for having a dish for internet and such. Wind power, solar power or maybe hydro power if there's a stream on property... propane back-up generator, well and greenhouse.

Goodman
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
You probably already have, but, look into the wireless internet carefully. We ran Wild Blue for a couple of years. It was better than dial-up, but still left a lot to be desired. DSL is way better and THAT was problematice during heavy usage times.

O.S.O.K.
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
When I lived away from cable about 5 years ago, we had "line of sight WIFI" service. Basically, I had a 75' antena pole with guy wires in the back. This got me good service, but the people that bought our place needed T-1 or some such and actually mounted this on the roof of the house... looked awful but I guess that got them the reception they needed.

I'd probably check that out at the new location too...

FunkyPertwee
02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm out in the country. Only got one acre though, but theres cows on my street, and farms all around. Were about an hour and a half away from the city by road, maybe 45 mins by boat. We have a well, but our pump and necesary filtration system runs on electricity, and we have no generator.

About the only thing I'm stocked up on is rifle ammo, rifle mags, and rifles.

cciota
02-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I have my 3 acres here, 20 minutes away from the nearby town. Have a pond outback for water, about 6 month's reserve of food, enough ammo and rifles to keep those around me safe. Not alot of gas for the backup generator, maybe 10 gallons, may have to store more. I think the dogs may have to fend for themselves though.

coppertales
02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
but I still live in the city until I sell this house and get the wife retired. My travel trailer is stocked and ready to go. My Texas place is 125 miles away and my MI place is in the UP. I am working on a west Texas place right now. chris3

American Rage
02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
I tried. Unfortunately, being single, I just couldn't swing it.

Instead, I went suburb. But hey, my city in one of the most conservative in the country, and fairly small for a "big city."

Rage

btcave
02-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Turn left at the buffalo and go 1 mile to the tree line. The house with the cleared sectors of fire is mine.

ubersoldate
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Last october I got out of Phoenix for good. Sold alot of my stuff, did what I had to do to buy a house and land.

I moved outside of a town of 3000 people, up in the sierra's, on a few acres, nice little house.
Complete change of lifestyle and I love it.

But My plan is, in 10 years, I would love to move up even farther, and get more like 20 acres. Maybe build my own A-Frame and that will be where I live untill I die!

Gotta do things in stages, get all the ducks in a row, but I wontder how the hell I wasted so many years having neighbors, and living in a city.

NewbieAKguy
02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Def. looking into it and hope to go through with it in the next few years. Depending on how my wife and I's trip down to TX (vacation/job & home look around) next couple of weeks, either head down there if all our criteria are met or stay here and start looking (hopefully wife will be able to snag a higher paying job). 3 homes with small amount of acreage, from 3-6 acres and affordable, are listed in local real estate ads. All would have potential to "get away" and still be close to town and of course be bigger homes than current one once the youngins start coming :).

old Grump
02-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Only 12 acres but on the other side of the fence is 80,000 acres of DNR land. Best of all its paid for, all I have to worry about is upkeep and taxes.

O.S.O.K.
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Only 12 acres but on the other side of the fence is 80,000 acres of DNR land. Best of all its paid for, all I have to worry about is upkeep and taxes.

Now that's money for nothing, chicks for free :)

That's what I want - I'd be good with 10 acres snuggled right next to national forrest or BLM land - with a preferrence for the NF...

Really, a few acres in the right location is the thing. The land is mostly a "buffer" after all unless you intend to farm it or keep cattle or goats.

Interesting that most here are either in the country or are working on getting there....

I really liked it, but I'm glad that we moved out of the area where we were as its now surrounded by very small lots with trailers.

Nothing against trailers but small lots with trailers doesn't help increase the value of your property when you've got a brick house on 20 acres... so, we're thankful that we sold when we did.

We will probably live in a small travel trailer to start with on the next move - while I build our house. I think I have a house build in me :) I've done all sorts of things from scratch before and have most of the tools needed. I am certainly motivated.

Uber - it's pretty arid where you live right? If so, you might check into compressed earth bricks for a construction media. You basically purchase a gas powered hydrolic brick press that you simply load earth into and it compresses them down into a uniform brick - you use this as a structural brick - kind of a cross between actual bricks and adobe. The resulting structure is very strong and well insulated - stronger than adobe but with the same insulating qualities. It will also stop a bullet...

The best thing is the cost is next to nothing if you have suitible soil to use for the bricks.

You can finish this type of construction on the outside and in so that nobody would ever know it's not conventional construction...