PDA

View Full Version : How many are essentially off the grid?

O.S.O.K.
02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
I mean for your source of power, water, etc...

Just curious...

Penguin
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Wish I was off the grid, sadly not.

FunkyPertwee
02-22-2011, 08:54 PM
We have our own water.

We buy electricity and internet.

O.S.O.K.
02-22-2011, 09:35 PM
If all's you get is internet service through a dish or line of sight wifi, then I'd say you are completely off the grid. There is no real way to get off of the internet grid... and who wants to?

I suppose you could go strictly shortwave radio but then you're just talking to people - it's basically like a party line phone system...

btcave
02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsDOD0dTQI&feature=related

ubersoldate
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Im closer than I was, but not there yet.
I have been working on my chicken coop, and a acre of my property is gonna be fenced up and ready for goats and a lama or two by spring.
Ive got a creek on my property with fish, and in the near future I will have a pond.

We are well water, using some solar now, but more will come, and really getting into using a generator, so Im gonna have to figure out a way to power my house with a few genny's and some batterys but it will take some time, at least Im moving forward though...

As for the real grid, or papertrail.
I paid cash for my property with help of my and my wifes family, so we have a note, but it isnt public record or even papered.
We own one credit card for emergencys.
Use a bank in town for bills.
Have zero car loans, student loans, or anything for that matter.
If we cant pay cash, then we just dont get it untill we have the money.

NewbieAKguy
02-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Still in first home in small town (7500). Hoping one day everything will line to be able to go mostly self-sufficient.

O.S.O.K.
02-23-2011, 11:50 AM
btcave! That is an excellent vid. I got all excited watching it.

That's exactly my kind of thinking right there.

I would want to bump that out on both sides to allow for a "master" bedroom with bath on the one side and two small bedrooms/office on the other. But that's very easy to do...

I am really interested in the fact that a $3000 solar system produced 3500 watts - of course, this is hooked up to a battery storage unit... ETA- oops, listened to it again - he says 350 watts.... he can run all that off of 350 watts? hmm

But I've been doing some checking and my 3500 Watt generator that I just purchased will run everything in my home that I need but not the A/C unit. But with something that size, a small window unit in the bedroom would be fine.

But add a wind generator to this and you probably could have a couple of window units and keep the whole shebang cool.

And no friggin utilities!!

I'd add a propane powered backup generator as well.

I would keep my place picked up better than that guy though :) Stuff laying around buggs me. Maybe he's just in the middle of working on the stuff...

Thanks for posting that!

slamfire51
02-26-2011, 11:04 AM
The only thing that is off the grid here is the septic system.
No utility available for that.

FunkyPertwee
02-26-2011, 11:17 AM
I can't believe I'm still the only one who voted for the third option, when I'm obviously less prepared then everyone else.

The only things I have a good supply of are water and ammo, but the water requires power. I wonder how much a solar system would cost that is just powerful enough to run a deep water well and reverse osmosis system.

El Laton Caliente
02-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm headed that way...

I'm on well, propane & septic, that leaves power, phone, internet.

Most cells don't work where the house is... And internet I'm on satalite.

I've been thinking about adding a second 12 volt lighting circuit based on solar only. Both security and interior hopefully with low power LEDs.

We need a whole house back up generator that I can run for extended periods. If I had everything I wanted it would be a 12,000 watt diesel converted to propane.

O.S.O.K.
02-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I am planning on wind generator and solar with propane backup. I figure if you have propane stove/oven and water heater, that'd reduce the need for wattage a lot right there - and put in a wood stove... just in case and you can keep the gas for backup.

btcave
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
About solar powered refrigerators

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago102.html

or...

Norcold N841.3 3-Way Refrigerator

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/0_Q8zIO3r20uewuUTe0imjdDjpkJVM_Qt-hCzJb6wRig-H6b59FWNa6vCQiIZghpE1KmwBTAcoPW814wCxK7SeRcMJf_Hub DXAqpDvNFfFXhwT49icIVSYYMb5p7iaeLmrnwbxbXSqY6-0gADxTAOXskiUyZurBWtkmkh0w3fCR4Bm2XHqDR2F7tDtQNOKk WYH8pDtYKCnk0Py55SipaV1CNvkJArg

This RV Gas Electric Refrigerator from Norcold is "3-way" in that it operates on AC, DC, or propane gas and features a one-piece interior,eliminating seams for ease of cleaning. The RV refrigerators from Norcold have a perimeter frame with cross member A-frame design to provide greater hinge and door support. The 3-point hinge attachment provides tighter tolerances on door alignment and less door flex under load. Two seven-segment LEDs are easier to read. The two letter diagnostic codes are easier to understand and error codes will display only when active. Thus, eliminating confusion.

El Laton Caliente
02-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Since I own an RV I aalready have an RV frig. They can be high maintanence and are expensive. I really don't know why we got away from evaprotive ammonia units, they are very effecent.

Get a spare circuit board and flame senser.

HDR
02-27-2011, 09:21 AM
"Yes we are off the grid but are still hooked up for power."

Yup, that fits here..